PDA

View Full Version : Adding additional RAM?

liquid1010
04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
So I'm in a conundrum for a very basic question. I bought a gateway netbook (lt3114h) in January. It has 1.2GHz AMD processor, but only 1GB of RAM. There is an identical model (lt3114u) that is identical but comes with 2GB's of RAM.

I want to upgrade mine to 2GB's, but want to make sure it's compatible.

I've heard every story under the sun so far:
- One gateway tech said no, it's maxed at 1GB.
- The 2nd Gateway tech said it can be upgraded to 2GB.
- The tech specs from Gateway say it only has one slot (I can only find one), but Belarc system detec says it has two slots.

I did buy a 2GB stick from crucial, but it wouldn't start up. It might just be a bad stick, but I'm not sure. Is there a definitive way to find out through the BIOS or something? Gateway has been useless in this.....

Thanks!

jsn
04-29-2010, 12:39 AM
You probably already checked, but you didn't mention it... Did you make sure that the RAM is the right type? i.e., DDR 1 2 or 3, or getting the correct MHz.

liquid1010
04-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Yea sorry - I should have mentioned. I checked and it is the correct DDR2 RAM.

Followed up with Gateway, and they told me I have to call their "Pay for Support" line for more information. I love customer service these days :S

Grogador
04-29-2010, 09:43 AM
It should be fine to replace your 1GB stick with a 2GB stick. Maybe the one you got just wasn't voltage-friendly to your Netbook?

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=57773&mfr=Gateway&model=LT31+Netbook&search_type=&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=57773-Gateway-LT31+Netbook&distributor=0&submit1=Search

(if the link doesn't work, go to www.kingston.com and use their memory selector tool)

liquid1010
04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
It should be fine to replace your 1GB stick with a 2GB stick. Maybe the one you got just wasn't voltage-friendly to your Netbook?

thanks!