PDA

View Full Version : Anyone molded CF components before?

AndyL
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Wondering if anyone's got experience molding CF parts?

Done a fair bit of fiberglass work in the past (mostly RC plane fuselages, the odd part for vehicles).

The wrap threads have me thinking of going flat black on the kyoto anti-christ; but the dually fender flares are going to need work. Then I started thinking about a CF wrap on them - and well mind started working REALLY hard once I saw the price of replacement flares...

Fairly comfortable making a female mold of the flares; Just wondering how much of a challenge I'd have getting the CF material laid over some of those compound curves... Then the real question becomes - how many layers of what material I'd want to put under to further strengthen the flares... Was thinking of 6.5oz kevlar under - and some of those CF reinforcing strips along the edges to really beef up the edges (where the big rock chips have hammered / shattered my existing flares).

Modelexis
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
By the sounds of your comment in the winter weather thread, you need to budget new tires, rather than rice for your truck.

AndyL
04-29-2010, 02:31 PM
:facepalm:

Perhaps since your so interested in my tires - why don't you call up quickx and find out where my tires are... Been in transit forever. Nice trolling.

Afrodeziak
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM
You may want to look into a vacuum bagging set-up

AndyL
04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Actually already have that - But that's more useful with male molds than female...

Idratherbsidewayz
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Actually already have that - But that's more useful with male molds than female...

We made our FSAE race car's entire body (Carbon Monococque) using female molds. Vacuum assisted resin transfer ftw!

The main problem you may see (depending on what your female molds are made of) is flexing of the mold while under vacuum. All the molds we used were fibreglass/kevlar, heavy as hell, and very stiff.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/McMasteRacer/IMG_3340.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/McMasteRacer/IMG_3438.jpg

AndyL
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Hadn't totally decided on how to make the mold - wanted some practical experience :) before even contemplating how I wanted to do it...

Out of curiosity - how many layers of what weights cloth did you guys use?

Vacuum assisted resin transfer... Guess I have some googling to do :thumbsup:

assram
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Just on the topic of CF DIY..
This guy in belgium does some sick work

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487566

AndyL
05-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah found that thread :) Did some drooling and got some ideas...

Right now - I'm more thinking about my dually flares; they're in rough shape after 15 years of use/abuse - lots of damage from rocks/rubs/accidents, I can either spend a couple days fixing the fiberglass... 630$ each for replacements - or give em a 1/2ass repair - and use them to create a mold for a new part.

Leaning towards matte black'ing the whole truck - so CF flares would look pretty damn sharp :) Just worrying about those compound curves and how to make em look decent laying the glass over them... With fiberglass it's easy - you don't see the weave, CF not so easy...