PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Furnace problem

AndyL
04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
G'day All,

Having a problem with the furnace the last couple days - wont light up correctly. Chased down the part and got the OK from the landlord to go get it/install it...

Was about to do a manual light to warm up the place - when I ran across the real issue...

Ignitor fired up - but it was accompanied by that little plastic connector (looks a lot like the old clear white plastic connectors they used on battery packs in the old days of RC) lit up like a christmas tree...

Hit both ends of the plug with contact cleaner & die-electric, but still not firing up consistantly... Don't really want to cut/crimp - will just screw up future repairs.

Is there some kind of conductive grease/lube/?? that I can put in there to improve the connection and stop the arcing?

superflychief
04-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Ummm why not just have the landlord call a repair person?

AndyL
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Why have the landlord call in a repair person - for two screws and a plastic plug?? She offered - but why have her run up a big bill for something stupid simple?

gretz
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Why have the landlord call in a repair person - for two screws and a plastic plug?? She offered - but why have her run up a big bill for something stupid simple?

its not stupid simple if you can't figure it out without Beyond...

If your landlords not "your mom", then who gives a shit if they have to pay the bill... $100 tops to an HVAC and its fixed, safe, and has liability. If you fix it and there's a fire for any reason, gl with that...

Dilmah
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Have the landlord fix it, it's not yours and if you fuck something up you can be sure she'll call a repairman to fix it and send you the bill... Unless you're an electrician or an HVAC guy I wouldn't let you touch it if I was her, one wrong move and you could end up hurt.

pho88
04-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Don't really want to cut/crimp - [/B]

Funny thing, my carrier furnance died about 2 weeks ago, it was the igniter as well. I take out the broken igniter which was cut/crimp and see that the new one has a connector. There is a sticker on the furnance that shows it was professionally serviced 2 years ago and that they replaced the igniter and sensor, maybe this explains why they did it.

AndyL
04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Wow beyonders are aggro today

I try to keep a good relationship with my landlord - Simple repairs I'm happy to do myself and she reimburses me (often with $ for labour). Also avoids having to deal with the wonderful tradesmen we have these days... Last time the plumber came in they were hours late, tracked mud through the house - gee can't imagine why I'd much rather take care of a simple problem myself.

You'll notice i'm not asking where's the ignitor, what's it look like etc - I know my way around a furnace, just wondering if there's a way to keep the factory plug rather than cutting/crimping the wires together. It's not rocket science - just seeing if there's a better way to deal with it. If a lightbulb burns out on your car - do you take it to the dealer to have it replaced - after all you're not a licensed factory trained mechanic...

gretz
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM

If a lightbulb burns out on your car - do you take it to the dealer to have it replaced - after all you're not a licensed factory trained mechanic...

A light bulb, when installed poorly, will not have a chance to start your car on fire - nor will it void your insurance (even in the case of an accident)

AndyL
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes, a poorly installed or connected lightbulb can start your car on fire... Wanna see? I've got 3 light fixtures with 1141 bulbs in the garage that are all charred and melty - 2 because of poor connections; and one from corroded bulb contacts...

Dilmah
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
But the point is: If I fix my own car, furnace, computer or whatever it is I take the responsibility for my actions, the OP is renting the place from the owner and therefore will not replace the house if it burns down due to something going wrong. Sure as the sun coming up tomorrow, if something goes wrong, the landlord will blame the OP.

AndyL
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
We're still talking a fused circuit, encased in a solid steel box, repaired with owners written consent and choice of parts/methods.

HuMz
04-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Anyway your able to post a picture up of the terminals and where its arcing? Im having a hard time trying to picture where the arcing is taking place.