PDA

View Full Version : Which first year courses to take?

torob
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
EDIT: So I'm admitted into Computer Science, start in fall... but i can take general (any) courses for the first year to get a feel of what i exactly want?
Then later switch out?

How do i know what courses / options I can take, and which ones are mandatory?

Markov7
04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
If you don't like programming get out of computer science ASAP. I went into computer science my first year after high school, programming was the most bullshit thing ever. So I switched programs.

torob
04-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Markov7
If you don't like programming get out of computer science ASAP. I went into computer science my first year after high school, programming was the most bullshit thing ever. So I switched programs.

Thats the mistake i want to prevent... the idea was to do what you did -- but it seems painful and a waste of time + money

But i can go for general and not take computer science courses right?
And just take random courses that i might be interested in - then go from there?

cjab
04-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Im assuming you're talking about U of C, and that you just got accepeted for the upcoming year?

I'm pretty sure most programs will have some general classes that you can take, and then find out if you're interested in other areas / wanting to switch. The best way to get an idea of the courses you will take is to log onto myuofc, and then click on degree navigator. It will show you the courses required for your degree, and you can also search other degrees in there to know what classes are required.

hope that helped.-

torob
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
That was big help thanks, and yeah I'm talking about UofC

D. Dub
04-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Take what YOU are interested in -- after doing some work/research.