PDA

View Full Version : Hit A Plateau.. What to do next?

mikey_p
04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
So i've hit the very annoying hurtle of a plateau in my workouts. I've been working out now for 3 months and noticed the last couple weeks that my fat burning and weight loss has stalled. Im not on anything besides water and food for my diet and have changed my routine to try and jumpstart it. I have lost 22lbs but most of it was in the first month. My workout is as below..

Monday - Friday @ 5:30am
30 mins weight lifting
5 mins Stretching & Crunches
45 mins of Cardio (walk, jog, run w/ intervals)

Also every Tuesday Night I play hockey and most weeks i have 2 ball hockey games mixed with a couple rounds of golf.

What can i do to add that extra level?? Seems like im staying at the same weight up or down 2 pounds for the last month.. And i'm still fat lol..

beyond_ban
04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
EQ, M1T, TEST150. Just to name a few.

1RaZoR1
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
You need to get a new routine started. So find different weight training exercises and new cardio exercises to do that you have not done before. This will help shock different muscle and stabilizing muscles as well. I normally try and switch up my work outs every 7-8 weeks.

mikey_p
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
1RaZoR1- It's been done.. I work a 3 day rotation singling out a certain muscle group. usually switch every 6-8 weeks.. Since i've started ive changed to 3 different routines to keep it interesting.. I've also changed my cardio on the treadmill from a constant job to intervals and bike..

GQBalla
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
EQ, M1T, TEST150. Just to name a few.

lol, wow.

if you hit a plateau just change up your work out, Maybe your working out too much.

try doin a deload

bubbley
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
EAT MOAR

if not...

juice it

liquidboi69
04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Cut more calories. Work harder.

It's only been 3 months...

Redlined_8000
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
what are you stats and what does a day of your diet look like.

max_boost
04-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Stall?

Hit up 5/3/1

Destroy those plateaus in no time. :D

liquidboi69
04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
^ I think he's talking about fat burning plateaus.

Everyone loves 5/3/1 on this forum eh XD

scboss
04-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
^ I think he's talking about fat burning plateaus.

Everyone loves 5/3/1 on this forum eh XD

to funny worst thing ever for losing weight. Have you tried skipping? I find it really good for cutting weight. How many reps you doing in your workouts?

wintonyk
05-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Have you tried X? Euphoria is just a side effect of your overactive hips while dancing.

On a serious note, do something totally different than what you are doing now. Increase/decrease your reps, do only free weights, interval train. And I guarantee weight loss with Crossfit.

TorqueDog
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
P90-X?

maxomilll
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
MOAR CARDIO. :nut:

seriously though go hard with cardio you'll cut weight in no time.

KRyn
05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
Cut more calories. Work harder.

It's only been 3 months...

This, if you are serious about losing weight become religious. Weigh your food and count every calorie and you will get trim in no time. All it comes down to is how bad you want it.

Orbie
05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

This, if you are serious about losing weight become religious. Weigh your food and count every calorie and you will get trim in no time. All it comes down to is how bad you want it.

Exactly, what's your target weight? What's your caloric intake a day? How many calories do you need a day to maintain your goal weight? You need to be aware of these things for weight loss. Eat too little and your body will go into starvation mode, eat too much and it's obvious what will happen. You can work out all you want, but if you don't have the diet working properly then it's a waste. Also what does you meal plan look like for a day, composition matters as well.

mikey_p
05-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm probably not eating right.. I just have a usual diet. Eat alot of subway 5 grams of fat or less. trying to stay with the vegtables and water. Depends what the day is like. My biggest issue is my upper body. My legs are great but i'm a yard sale up top. I'd like my belly fat and titty fat to go away!:barf:

Clever
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I recommend p90x as well, I used to do the same thing religious lifting and cardio, but after a while progress stalled. Started p90x a few months ago (did it for 7 weeks before restarting to follow the nutrition plan) and can definitely feel and see greater results. Try it out, it might jst be the change that you need.

C_Dave45
05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk

On a serious note, do something totally different than what you are doing now. Increase/decrease your reps, do only free weights, interval train. And I guarantee weight loss with Crossfit.

^This.

Your OP could've been typed by me, Mikey. Don't let it discourage you. 3 months is barely started. Your target is losing weight, I take it. Don't forget at the same time you're losing weight, you're also gaining muscle. If your current calorie intake was able to make you lose 20-some lbs, then you should be okay.

I did the very same thing. At Christmas time I decided to change my life. I was almost 220 lbs @ 5'10". Drinking a six-pack every night, never ate breakfast, bar lunches 2 or 3 times a week and absolutely no cardio at all. I stopped playing fairly serious hockey about 4 years ago and thats when it started.
Fast forward to today. First 3 months of cardio and heavy weights I dropped 20 lbs. But then for WEEKS I stayed the same. But now, I'm dropping again. I'm at 192 lbs. I've dropped my BF by 6%, and lost 3 inches around the waist.
So just keep it up. Like Wintonyk says, change up is good. Keep watching your calories and eventually it will start dropping again.
Are your lifts increasing? DON'T neglect your legs!! Everyone at the gym is always concerned about the arms and chest. But neglect the two largest muscles in the body...your legs and back. You work those out and they'll burn calories like crazy. Squats, Deads etc.

mdeluxe
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 1RaZoR1
You need to get a new routine started. So find different weight training exercises and new cardio exercises to do that you have not done before. This will help shock different muscle and stabilizing muscles as well. I normally try and switch up my work outs every 7-8 weeks.

I agree shock your muscles.. it honestly should work.. you will get sore all over again but then you will know its working