PDA

View Full Version : Bike start up issues plz help

r0g3r
04-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi so i went to start my bike today and it wasn't starting up . The engine would just run abit but not enough to fully start.
I thought it might be a battery issue so I let the battery charge for few hours and then tried again and now the engine isnt even doing anything. I press the start button and nothing happens except the oil light turns on like it does when I press the start button. Please help me out, I'm not really sure what to do.

Oh and the bike was in my garage during the cold days we had this week.

Cos
04-30-2010, 07:06 PM
So it fires up then dies?

Is it a carb bike?

Was it running before this week?

Did you try to rev the throttle a bit when it started?

r0g3r
04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
no it doesn't fully fire up. It did before the cold week. I believe it is a carb bike.

I reved the throttle, used the choke, tried all but at first it would at least try to start up (engine making noise) but now it doesn't do anything when i press start.

And yes the bike was running before this week. It usually had trouble startinge up but after running it a bit it was fine but right now I can't get it to fire up at all

Cos
04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Sorry I am having a hard time following your posts. However if the area your bike was parked wasn't heated and the battery froze it will be ruined. It would cause it to barely turn over even after a full charge.

Either that or your carb is out of tune (causing the issues before) and is worse off now because of a weak battery, air temp, or fuel sludge

r0g3r
04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
so do you think its just a battery problem?? because I mean the headlight and everything turns on when i switch the key to on but it's just not starting up.

Cos
04-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Well it can't be battery if there is a charge and the lights are lighting up

SJW
04-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Sounds flooded now. Pull the plugs and tell us what you see.

SJW
04-30-2010, 08:09 PM
What bike is this? year/model.

r0g3r
04-30-2010, 08:12 PM
1990 fzr 600

What do I pull out???

SJW
04-30-2010, 08:40 PM
perhaps bring the bike in for service or sell it to me for dirt cheap.

turbotrip
04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Do u hear the starter clicking?

Cos
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
take it to a service place. If the lights are lighting up and you assume battery as well as you cant find the plugs I am afraid this may be more complex than you can handle. I wouldnt want you to break your bike.

Sorry to say.

Graham_A_M
04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Your plugs are likely oil fouled. no it has NOTHING to do with your battery. Im guessing there are

A) contaminants in your carbs thus blocking proper fuel flow (abiet not overly likely)
B) Bad/worn or oil fouled spark plugs.
C) Air getting past the carb thus upsetting the air/gas mixture (possible for a bike its age). This is caused by damaged/partial gaskets or screws being loose, thus not forming a tight seal for the gasket(s) to work properly.
D) Ignition system problems, such as faulty spark plug wires, of which is caused through age & use.

If you were to replace the plugs & wires, and clean the fuel bowl & jet assembly of the carbs I'd almost be willing to bet money that that'll cure the problem. If not, it would be a ignition sending unit or the like that could be faulty.

The fact that you DID have it running fine tells me the ignition is fine, its merely a fueling system issue at this point, or obviously the possibility that you have oil fowled spark plugs. What happens: is that if one of the plugs is not firing, that cylinder will fill with too much gas, and thus not fire like it should. Continuing to turn it over (particularily with the choke on, which increases the amount of gas being injected and limits air intake) will cause the rest of the (barely functioning) sparkplugs to be lined with gas, and not fire. Now you have an oil & gas flooded engine. If your plugs were clean, they'd fire as they should and burn off the excess gas & oil in the cylinders.

Since you seem to know very little about anything mechanical, I'd suggest taking your bike over to Redline motorsports, of which is located in the DouglasDale/Douglasglen business park.

Id offer to help you, but Im already extremely busy and having trouble finding the time to help another beyonder with his bike issues.

r0g3r
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
thanks everyone, really appreciate all your help. Hopefully it wont be too costly to fix >_<

Graham_A_M
04-30-2010, 10:07 PM
^ LOL, :nut:
everything I learned on bikes, was on my own since as a kid I had no money to pay for mechanics. Try everything yourself since on a 1990 FZR600, everything isn't overly hard to access. Seriously, get yourself a decent (metric) socket & wrench set and I'd be happy to walk you through everything. Checking the plugs, replacing the wires & cleaning the carbs wont even take you an afternoon on your bike, even as a total newb. :dunno: Its your call, but....

r0g3r
05-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey dude I"m totally up for trying it myself, I've sent you a PM

P.S. I fully charged the battery but it still won't start up. So yeah not a battery issue.