View Full Version : WTB: 1 x Seagate 7200.11 750 gb HDD

boosty
04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Must have the following characteristics:

Seagate 7200.11 - 750 gb
model: ST3750330AS
P/N: 9BX156-303
firmware: SD15

A friend of mine had their drive die and I think it's just a bad PCB so I need a donor drive...

Please PM price!

Thanks!

Kevin

moeman
04-30-2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.memoryexpress.com/ClearanceDetails.aspx?CID=86af4d8d-c56b-4736-b30e-9b1711320ff3

boosty
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Moeman, you rock the casbah. THANK YOU!

Kevin

Edit: I still need a drive, but Moeman still rocks the casbah.

boosty
05-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Bump. I actually still need this... the MemEx one they couldn't find and the warranty replacement I got back from Seagate has the current SD1A firmware on it which doesn't work.

I need a drive with the original SD15 firmware on it. Willing to pay above market value for the drive.

Grogador
05-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Try flashing the older firmware onto it? Otherwise, hit eBay and start asking sellers for complete specs!

boosty
05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Grogador. It was a real bitch to find, but I was somehow able to track down the older SD15 firmware, modify the Seagate bootable disk for the SD1A firmware to flash the older firmware and then reflash the replacement drive that Seagate sent me. I then swapped the pcb, but sadly, the drive just made a ton of clicking noises and the bios reported a hdd error so it's obviously more than just a bad pcb. Ah well, it was worth a shot and an interesting learning experience.

Anyhow, guess I don't need a drive anymore. Mods, please close. :( Thanks!

Greek Wizard
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by boosty
Thanks for the suggestion Grogador. It was a real bitch to find, but I was somehow able to track down the older SD15 firmware, modify the Seagate bootable disk for the SD1A firmware to flash the older firmware and then reflash the replacement drive that Seagate sent me. I then swapped the pcb, but sadly, the drive just made a ton of clicking noises and the bios reported a hdd error so it's obviously more than just a bad pcb. Ah well, it was worth a shot and an interesting learning experience.

Anyhow, guess I don't need a drive anymore. Mods, please close. :( Thanks!

if you have no other choices:

1) Throw it in the freezer in a ziploc for a couple of hours, plug it in while still cold, might give you enough time to get some files off.

2) Drop the drive onto a concrete floor from waist high, the jarring might allow you to get the drive going for a short time to get the files off.

I suggest the freezer trick first.

Yes, I know old wives tales, but both have worked for me in the past.