PDA

View Full Version : western alienation?

DeSi
12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
sorry guys, i just don't seem to get the concept of western alienation. Wanna give me some examples?

ryder_23
12-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Might be like this..

eastern has more population then western...majority of easterns like X group, majority westerns like 0, since eastern so much more population, X ends up with more votes. Then this way, western really doesnt have any say in paliament, cant really put into my own words what i'm thinkin. Sorry, social 10 was a very long time ago for me, so i'm probably way off, shoulda stayed awake. cant really put into my own words what i'm thinkin. if i'm way off please correct me

B17a
12-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by DeSi
sorry guys, i just don't seem to get the concept of western alienation. Wanna give me some examples?

Ever hear the expression that Toronto is the centre of the universe? Go to TO, and talk business with people there, you'll know real quick how well respected the west is.

littledan
12-09-2003, 08:29 PM
ever heard of a thing called the national energy program?? if not check your history books because that pissed off albertans like crazy!!

alloroc
12-09-2003, 09:08 PM
I'd rather push my car a mile than get gas at petro can.

Up your's Trudeau

hjr
12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
if you are from the west (in business terms at least) you are almost a second class citizen (like if your trying to get investment for your company). Its best to pretend to be from T.O. to sell the west. This is the reason why west jet can only get so big. It is stigmatized by being a western company and doesnt get the respect it should (in the east).

DeSi
12-09-2003, 09:11 PM
hmmmmm, NEP. seriously i don't really see a problem with it. Alberta is a province in a country called Canada. So, when something happens to feul prices and they rise, world wide. Whats wrong with alberta selling to other canadians at a cheaper rate?

Would you charge your mom the same as everyone else for gas?

hondarunner
12-09-2003, 09:13 PM
heres an essay i wrote 2 yrs ago in grade 10

Western Separation

I am a very proud Canadian but would be even prouder if we could provide ourselves with a beneficial new country.

For the past 25 years Canada's government has focused on benefiting central and Eastern Canada and Western provinces have struggled to increase their involvement. Periodic elections have been in progress and despite the majority votes; Western Canada cannot seem to get enough votes for their select choice in political leaders. With the amount of population in the remainder of our fine country, Western Canada always manages to luck out with a leader like Jean Chretien that will always support them second to none. It is not always true when some people claim that all Canadians are lucky to be living in such a great country. Sure, most citizens are very happy but there are the few provinces that need a little more attention to prove this theory true. If no action is made to satisfy all citizens in the country, then Western Canadian provinces should debate over separating from the rest of the country!

It first began in the 1920's. English-speaking Canadians founded Canada West and the French-speaking Canadians founded Canada East. Stockwell Day has admitted that the alienation between the east and west of our country is the worst it has been in 25 years. Stockwell Day has attempted to run for prime minister and has not succeeded and as long as the Eastern people of Canada are voting for our parliament, Jean Chretien will probably reign for longer than some may please. With him in running, little change will resolve from this diplomatic dispute. Proof of such behavior has occurred during the election campaign on November 27th of 2000. He refused to visit Calgary, Alberta and admitted that he did not enjoy dealing with Albertans. This shows little appreciation for all provinces and people in his country, and this kind of behavior should not be tolerated. It is not tolerable if Jean Chretien is to run our country, make our decisions but refuse to visit, listen to, or even dislike his own people.

British Columbia and Alberta could resolve and improve this situation for themselves by separating from their disappointing country and prepare a more efficient life for all. English would become the official language in Western Canada, without the pressure and conflict of bilingualism and biculturalism in the new nation. English would be the only language requirement for success in the military services or civil services of Western Canada and there would be a bright future for every individual to have equal rights.

If British Columbia and Alberta separated, we could still be capable of exporting all of our goods. Canada relies on our provinces only for the salvation of resources. Why allow them to use us for our valuable goods? We could form our own country and use them to benefit us. If they did not have our natural resources and production goods, they would struggle without our aid and realize how important we were to the country of Canada.

If equal respect is not displayed from the government than the government leaders are not suitable for running the country. When running for an election you are committing to a country and not a select portion of it. And with the Eastern majority of Canada always voting for the leaders who favor them, equality will never be reached. With the new-presented idea of Western separation, more civilians will realize what is in store for us if we create our own future without relying on the unfair decisions of the Canadian government. More than enough evidence of guaranteed, healthier living is prepared for the building of a new nation. The building and creation of this nation is ideal for all Westerners of the country, and unless the Eastern civilization and Canadian government does not improve conditions for everyone and create equal rights to all provinces then we will be prepared to separate. We could and we will create a new nation, peacefully, democratically and rationally!

DeSi
12-09-2003, 09:27 PM
not bad......but don't think it will happen, ever. Not to be rude or anything, just that you probably already know that a referendum would have to take place, and you probably already know where the majority of canada's public resides.

...........needed more support/evidence to back up arguments in the essay, but it was nicely done.

what grade did ya get?

alloroc
12-10-2003, 09:29 AM
hmmmmm, NEP. seriously i don't really see a problem with it. Alberta is a province in a country called Canada. So, when something happens to feul prices and they rise, world wide. Whats wrong with alberta selling to other canadians at a cheaper rate?

Would you charge your mom the same as everyone else for gas?

Due to shipping costs it is actually cheaper for Ontario to get the balance of it's fuel from the middle east on Supertankers than to have it sent on train from Alberta. Note that the shipping costs would have to be payed by the oil companies to a federally run railroad.

The Only thing the East is interested in when it comes to Ab. Oil is the royalties. Alberta is only second to Ontario in the billions of dollars it gives to the federal government each year. On average Albertans pay 3,000 dollars per person more to the Government than they receive. This is the highest percentage in Canada, and happens to be the only province , again other than Ontario that actually pays more money than it gets back. Oh How much does the average person in Ontario pay? About $300. How much say does the average Albertan have into where the money goes?

NONE.

http://www.pcparty.nf.net/x0103084.htm

http://www.galganov.com/editorials/display.asp?ID=274

http://www.galganov.com/editorials/display.asp?ID=192

A_3
12-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Western Allienation is defienetly real, i'm not an extremist or anything but Ontario and Quebec pretty much control what happens in Canada because there population is so much greater then all the other provinces put together, let alone the 3 western provinces. In order for a politician to win an election he must mainly concentrate his campaigning in that area, i could be wrong but during this last election our current Prime Minister came to Calgary once... think what you may but it is forsure a fact, if you want to get some real good opinions on "how bad it is" go talk to some oil exec's around here,alot of them believe Alberta should seperate from Canada:thumbsdow

JAYMEZ
12-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I think the west shoud make a new country lol ... as dumb as that sounds , it would change alot, and ontario would be royaly screwed.... and if the west split so would Quebec , and canada would go into chaos :D

:guns:

SinisterProbeGt
12-10-2003, 05:37 PM
our company has an adress there just to say on our business info and site that we are local in toronto toronto
kinda like the canadian version of new york new york

/////AMG
12-10-2003, 05:51 PM
What's this I heard on the radio today? Saskatchewan and Alberta wanting to merge?? Any info on this guys?

ninspeed
12-10-2003, 05:57 PM
there was a party in the 70's or 80's that wanted to seperate from canada... the western alliance. it was BC, alberta and sask.
Like said above, very few proviences in this country make enough to support them selfs... we on the other had support our selfs and the other weaklings (mostly the maritimes)...

ryder_23
12-11-2003, 01:38 PM

what grade did ya get?

Do your own homework you lazy ass :D :rofl:

JAYMEZ
12-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Ralph Klein was thinking about seperation not to long ago... and i think alot of people would support it , but in a way we still need the east