PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers & Bearing question

Cos
05-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Hey guys, so on the cruise last month I was talking to a couple guys (you know who you are :D) about wheel spacers. I have been reading a bit on it since then and was going to pull the trigger a little earlier but had some other tire issues come up.

The F150 forums I have been reading arent instilling a lot of confidence for me. 1/2 the people say they are running them no problem and the other 1/2 say they have sheered lugs or blown wheel bearings. Now I would only get 1-2" with the hub centric (I think that means the independent new wheel studs so correct me if I am wrong) so I dont think I would be doing that much of a dis-service to the vehicle. Also where could I pick a set up for cheaper? I feel like all I do is buy stuff off ebay now.

For the bearing question, people are saying that you already are putting stress on your wheel bearings with 35's on the stock rims, and adding the spacers increases that. I believe that (to a point) but am not towing or anything so am curious as to how much more stress I really am throwing on the system.

Either way, besides re-packing the bearing what is the best way to maintain the bearings.

CelicaST-162
05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
If your wheel bearings are the sealed-non serviceable type like our Toyota's, some guys are leery about wheel spacers because you are putting more leverage away from your hubs, so rim+spacer= equals more leverage being exerted on the wheel bearing. I run the 1.25 All Pro Hubcentric spacers on my rig and they are great if you want to retain stock-OEM wheels but want that extra agressive stance and wider track width. I stayed with a conservative 1.25 inch, they go up to 2 inches but are that much harder on your wheel bearings and if your tire clearances are tight with your body right now, adding these wheel spacers may rub your tires with the pinchwelds.

SR54RNR
05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
"hub centric" means the new spacer will have a flange on it to help center the wheel when it is mounted.
I have had Spidertraxx 1.25" spacers on my truck for 6 months so far with no problems.

Cos
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I'm lookin for 1-1.5. I wanted bigger rims but don't have the will or cash to get a bigger offset.

Also i don't know about my wheel bearings. I have this odd feeling they are serviceable.

RickDaTuner
05-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Thanks guys, yeah I'm lookin for 1-1.5. I wanted bigger rims but don't have the will or cash to get a bigger offset.

Also i don't know about my wheel bearings. I have this odd feeling they are serviceable.

they are sealed units, remove and replace only, the older F150s where serviceable, but ford has been moving to modular repairs for some time now. meaning they want the techs to replace parts instead of service and repair.

Cos
05-02-2010, 08:45 PM
^^^ good to know thanks.. Saves me work.

I just remembered universal wanted to charge me 247.00 a corner to repack my bearings.

RickDaTuner
05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
not sure how they were going to pull that one off, F150 hubs come like this.

http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/images/wheel-hub-2.jpg

I suppose you can press out the flange....

Cos
05-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Haha I'm afraid to ask. I'm assuming your an advisor or tech somewhere?

RickDaTuner
05-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I used to Work for Ford, and went through their ASSET Training.