PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Degree

5.9 R/T
12-09-2003, 08:39 PM
So whats the easiest degree for someone who hates math? Opinions?

littledan
12-09-2003, 08:48 PM
fine arts?

fast_girl
12-09-2003, 08:55 PM
I absolutely HATE math and I'm a philosophy major. Don't know if it's the easiest... but I dig it. :thumbsup:

DUBBED
12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by fast_girl
I absolutely HATE math and I'm a philosophy major. Don't know if it's the easiest... but I dig it. :thumbsup:

what do you plan on doing with your degree? just out of curiosity....

girlRACER
12-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Communication and Culture at the UofC. You can finish it in 3 years versus the traditional 4 years.

It is a Bachelor of General Studies.

However, it I heard from friends that it is not a recognized degree outside of Alberta. Not sure if that's true though. :dunno:

fast_girl
12-09-2003, 09:21 PM
DUBBED - the plan is to go into law... I needed an undergrad degree (any undergrad degree will do), so I figured I might as well take something I enjoy... and keep the GPA up. :)

girlRACER
12-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by fast_girl
the plan is to go into law... I needed an undergrad degree (any undergrad degree will do), so I figured I might as well take something I enjoy... and keep the GPA up. :)

Fast_girl...you and me are on the same boat!! I get asked that all the time. hehe...I once attended an undergrad RELS luncheon and all we talked about was everyone's reaction to our degree. But yea...it definitely is a good way to keep the GPA up. At the same time not everyone can do well in these subjects ;)

DeSi
12-09-2003, 09:30 PM
law is a great thing to do, but remember if your in an easy degree/faculty your marks need to be that much higher. and you've gotsta contribute to society (volunteer) alot

fast_girl
12-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by DeSi
law is a great thing to do, but remember if your in an easy degree/faculty your marks need to be that much higher. and you've gotsta contribute to society (volunteer) alot

Gots it all under control... :D volunteer work, extra curriculars, good GPA and good LSAT score.... workin' it baby! :thumbsup:

fast_girl
12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

Fast_girl...you and me are on the same boat!! I get asked that all the time. hehe...I once attended an undergrad RELS luncheon and all we talked about was everyone's reaction to our degree. But yea...it definitely is a good way to keep the GPA up. At the same time not everyone can do well in these subjects ;) :rofl: I always tell people when I'm done my philosophy degree I plan to have great conversation... they look at me like I'm mental :D

5.9 R/T
12-09-2003, 09:43 PM
All i need is a little piece of paper with the word degree and my name somewhere on it.

FiveFreshFish
12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Psych degree?

5.9 R/T
12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Psych degree?

Buhahaha. I think u hit the nail on the head.

Gainsbarre
12-09-2003, 10:20 PM
I've heard that geography is a ridiculously easy degree.

Super_Geo
12-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Theology... but you're probably looking for a degree that'll get you employment.

kaput
12-09-2003, 10:45 PM

AquamosH
12-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Psych degree?

Not as easy as you think. :thumbsdow

04blackMAX
12-09-2003, 11:01 PM
under water fire prevention:poosie:

girlRACER
12-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Theology... but you're probably looking for a degree that'll get you employment.

How is Theology easy??!!! I have a headache trying to wrap my head around Buber's I-Thou I-It relationships. It's definitely not your Sunday School stuff.

powerslave
12-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

A degree in Outdoor Pursuits. No, I'm not kidding, it's real, a girl I know is taking it... how stupid is that... you got a degree in phys-ed??? :)

max_boost
12-10-2003, 12:11 AM
LOL
Can't you buy a degree? I'm pretty sure you can. I mean, how are these people to verify your degree? Just call the institution right? You probably can't get one from the U of C but there's got to be some shady one's out there:D

Khyron
12-10-2003, 12:43 AM
What about something like Art history? That can't be too hard can it? Too bad no degrees in basketweaving or darts.

Khyron

kenny
12-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Trust me on this one, Economics. :)

I got an econ degree, and I am unlike every other asian--i suck at math. In fact I do poorly in school in general. :rofl: If I can get the econ degree, so can you! lol :rofl:

Stratus_Power
12-10-2003, 12:48 AM
ii heard from alot of ppl that econ is the easiest degree to get

Weapon_R
12-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by kenny

I got an econ degree, and I am unlike every other asian--i suck at math. In fact I do poorly in school in general. :rofl: If I can get the econ degree, so can you! lol :rofl:

Originally posted by Stratus_Power
ii heard from alot of ppl that econ is the easiest degree to get

:eek: Are you guys out of your minds? Maybe it's just me, but some of my econ classes have been extremely tough.

RiCE-DaDDy
12-10-2003, 01:36 AM
so what kinda job u got kenny??

5.9 R/T
12-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by powerslave

A degree in Outdoor Pursuits. No, I'm not kidding, it's real, a girl I know is taking it... how stupid is that... you got a degree in phys-ed??? :)

That might be worth checking into, what would that apply to, teaching?

I've taken several econ and theo classes before, not for me. I'm taking a Geog class right now, although very basic it seems all right.

I don't need a job from the area of the degree I choose, I just need something that is relatively easy/interresting to get me that little piece of paper. And it has to be an actual degree! haha :rofl:

girlRACER
12-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
LOL
Can't you buy a degree? I'm pretty sure you can. I mean, how are these people to verify your degree? Just call the institution right? You probably can't get one from the U of C but there's got to be some shady one's out there:D

Yeah...it's called an honorary degree :rofl:

:bullshit: you're smart...you're just modest about it. I've read some of those COMS papers you wrote waaay back. Plus if did poorly you wouldn't have graduated. Econ is so hard.

max_boost
12-10-2003, 01:53 AM
I found Econ extremely tough, I took a few senior level ones including Economics of Health, Economics Law, Macroeconomics, and I had no idea WTF was going on. :rofl:

The easiest degree would be a business degree, it's almost like common sense haha

max_boost
12-10-2003, 01:56 AM
Yeah...it's called an honorary degree :rofl:

I can't remember who I had the conversation with, I think it was Kenny! haha

It's one of those mail order degrees, where if your prospective employer would call the school, your information would be in the system saying you graduated etc. I'm not sure if there is such a thing but I suspect there is. :D

GT-FOUR
12-10-2003, 02:15 AM
I'm a 3rd year Econ student @ UofC.

The early courses are pretty easy but if you take the more technical stuff, it gets pretty difficult pretty quickly. Im sure you can scrape by with taking some easy courses though...but the interesting stuff often coincides with the difficult stuff.

Plus you might as well learn something useful, what happens if you dont make the cut into law school?

-Chris

kenny
12-10-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
so what kinda job u got kenny??

Because I have no skills and graduated with a simple econ degree, I am now selling DVD players at Futureshop! :rofl:

Aleks
12-10-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Engineering's pretty easy.

I second that, all you need for the first couple of years is the proper lube for you asshole. Smooth sailing from there :rolleyes:

B17a
12-10-2003, 09:08 AM

Apparently econ must have changed since I did it then. My math skills end at counting the change I get back from a slurpee at 7-11. But I found there to be a hell of a lot of calculus involved, and 315? Don't even get me started!:D

B17a
12-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Canadian Studies is a 3yr degree and from what I've seen not exactly as challenging as other programs.

MrX
12-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Psych degree?

200 level is easy, 300 level gets harder, 400 level courses rapes you. So yeah...not as easy as you may think

5.9 R/T: I can't suggest anything that is really easy, but i do suggest u find something that will be useful in the end because "that little piece of paper with the word degree and your name somewhere on it" is becoming pretty big bucks to buy nowadays.

Davetronz
12-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Im in computer engineering and I hate every day of math.
I should be studying for my math final right now...
Oh well...

Super_Geo
12-10-2003, 11:37 AM

How is Theology easy??!!! I have a headache trying to wrap my head around Buber's I-Thou I-It relationships. It's definitely not your Sunday School stuff.

Theology is the only field that doesn't require any form of math. So, if the biggest criteria is that he hates math, then maybe he should consider Theology.

There are certain types of engineering that are easy as well. Civil and Mining engineering is pretty damn easy and the math isn't all that complicated.

Altezza
12-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Elec Engg ain't bad...I was employed at near full-time hours while in full-time studies. Did well and math isn't my strongest area. Haha, to be honest, I hate math.

Weapon_R
12-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Nothing is 'easy'. If you like what you are doing, then you will succeed regardless of your degree.

Gondi Stylez
12-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Nothing is 'easy'. If you like what you are doing, then you will succeed regardless of your degree.

:werd: very well said in 1 sentence!!:thumbsup:

roopi
12-10-2003, 02:54 PM
CS Degree is a piece of cake! :thumbsup:

kenny
12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Apparently econ must have changed since I did it then. My math skills end at counting the change I get back from a slurpee at 7-11. But I found there to be a hell of a lot of calculus involved, and 315? Don't even get me started!:D

Well yeah, 315 was a swift kick in the ass I think I got a D+ in that course. 357 (i think) was another slap in the face but aside from those two courses Econ is pretty easy. Its just a lot of memorization of graphs and how they shift. C's for degrees! :thumbsup:

Gainsbarre
12-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Getting an econ degree (at the U of C) really isn't that difficult. I've completed all but three required courses (out of 14) and the only classes that were mildly challenging were

ECON 315: Introduction to econometrics; and
ECON 357: Intermediate microeconomic theory -- Microeconomics II

And even though it isn't a prereq, you MUST take MATH 249 or 251 before taking ECON 315. You'll be completely lost without it.

The other degree I'm pursuing (BComm in finance) isn't all that difficult either. Lots of group work, but no term papers or labs.

RiCE-DaDDy
12-10-2003, 03:14 PM

Because I have no skills and graduated with a simple econ degree, I am now selling DVD players at Futureshop! :rofl:

ouch....but u drive a amg hmmm....

anyways, theology isnt for everyone lol, unless your religious or have some special interest.

GT-FOUR
12-10-2003, 07:43 PM
315 is soooooo easy if you take the right prof. If you have the chance, take it with ATKINS!!! lol so fricken easy it's not even funny...

357 was tough, not bad though. I actually found it easier than 301. lol

There is a lot of choice in econ remember. Like i said you can slide by and take the easy crap, and work at future shop (no offence dude! but seriously i'm sure you could get on with a company downtown though if you looked :) ), or you can take the interesting stuff thats a little harder. Well, a lot harder. haha. Econ 471, 477, and 571 with Church are really interesting and really hard at the same time. He's an awesome prof too.

And fwiw, I'm already working for an oil/gas firm downtown...got on as a summer student a year and a half ago. Pays good too. My boss is also an econ grad, granted he also did finance at the same time, he's 28 and makes $100k. Not bad I'd say...

:)

Chris

accordboi_02
12-11-2003, 01:31 AM

He's right.

Don't find the "easiest" degree for you, find the one that interests you the most - you GPA will be high in that case, and you will actually learn something as well!

:thumbsup:

accordboi_02
12-11-2003, 01:31 AM

He's right.

Don't find the "easiest" degree for you, find the one that interests you the most - you GPA will be high in that case, and you will actually learn something as well!

:thumbsup:

K271
12-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Fine Arts is by far not the easiest degree. If you have no talent, no artistic creativity, you're doomed.... Mind you the dedication it takes to perfect art, or to practice an instrument, or understand a role for a play. Prolly one of the hardest degrees.

maximus
12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
The only easy econ degree is Econ and Society. You don't need 315 and 301/303 and 357/359 are condensed into 2 classes. I think you also need less econ courses. That degree is a joke. A friend of mine is taking International Relations and he took econ 313 (303 and 359 in one) and that stuff was soooo easy. It's like a very vague intro to what we do in 303/359.

Econ Society is the easy Econ degree but the regular ones isn't that easy. Like someone said above, the interesting stuff is sometimes hard to get your head around. Then again if you study and read anything can be easy.

But definately if you want an easy econ degree go for econ and society. Has kind of a nice ring to it though. I wonder if employers know the difference?