PDA

View Full Version : Bruised ribs...Any advice?

ekguy
05-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Well knew something would happen eventually on my bike and it did. Took a nasty spill, have some bruised ribs. Felt every bump in the road after that let me tell ya.

Got t3's to last me till tomorrow and then I guess we'll let nature take it's course.

Any advice on how to get this healed as quickly as possible?

theken
05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
They just heal. And hurt a lot.

Ukyo8
05-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Howd you fall?

RickDaTuner
05-03-2010, 12:05 AM
don't laugh:rolleyes:

ekguy
05-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
Howd you fall?

Took a spill on a really steep switchback.

wardpr68
05-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Just sleep really.... on your back of course haha.

There is really no advice to give, it just takes time sadly.

sheik_yerbouti
05-03-2010, 01:36 AM
T3s are okay, but I like a good anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen. In emergency rooms they'll give you 500mg of Ibuprofen and 1000mg of regular Tylenol, works like a charm. I fractured a rib on day 3 of the West coast Trail years back... not fun.

Gurpy
05-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Ibuprofen, rest, and suck it up!

Dilmah
05-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Ibuprofen, I'm just getting over a fall while playing soccer from about 8 weeks ago, the Ibuprofen helped a lot in the beginning, after that you'll just need to suck it up and hope you don't sneeze too much... lol

Kritafo
05-03-2010, 07:03 AM
heating pad helps, I literally took mine to bed with me. Now did you go to emerg and get t3's or did you have some? Don't suck it up , you don't have to. Rib injuries hurt and take some time to heal. You will want to go somewhere and get checked, cause you don't want to find out later you damaged your lungs or spleen as well.

ekguy
05-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Kritafo I'll try heating pads. I can't take Ibuprofen I'm deathly allergic to it...:rolleyes: :( which sucks because I'm sure it would be better than Tylenol...

I did go to the Calgary Health Region building or whatever it is by Centennial High School, since I live near by.

Woke up this morning stiff as all fuck, and now finding out some new stuff is hurting...

Looks like I'm going to be investing some money into getting my bike tuned up...Going down a super steep trail and get to a nice switchback and my bike randomly changes gear on me without me touching a thing, locks up my back wheel for like a split second which was enough to launch me a good 6 feet onto my arm and chest...

Live and learn, gonna be the first of many injuries I suppose.

Kloubek
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done. I bruised my ribs (might have fractured one), and it took months before there was no more pain. You might be in for a long haul... sorry man! Glad to hear you're alive though!

ekguy
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done. I bruised my ribs (might have fractured one), and it took months before there was no more pain. You might be in for a long haul... sorry man! Glad to hear you're alive though!

Thanks. Still gonna make it out to the beyond cruise, still gonna tough it out and bike, once the pains subsides a bit anyways.

Just hoping it doesn't fuck with my work, I do banquet serving so I do alot of lifting, doesn't seem like much but carrying a tray full of soupes, or with 20some full glasses of water can be pretty lame when you have this much pain...

syeve
05-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Where did you fall?

ekguy
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by syeve
Where did you fall?

Found some nice steep trails in North Glenmore Park. And then my ribs found the trail.

eglove
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
musta rode into some garbage

ekguy
05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
No my bike just sucks...Think it needs some TLC. My bike randomly switched gears without me touching shit, while I'm going down an extremely steep trail, and as I hit a switchback is when it happens, back wheel locks up for a split second but when I'm pointing down at what had to be close to 50 degrees it launched me over the bike and onto my ribs...My arm got the worst of it, my ribs almost as bad...

Gonna get my bike looked after it's the second time it locks up on me and does this...

Gurpy
05-05-2010, 01:24 AM
North glenmore park? Really? If you dont mind sharing, where abouts?

slinkie
05-05-2010, 02:47 AM
maybe look into a singlespeed mountain bike? :D

fixed are hype for mountain bikes, since you can't stop pedaling, your feet can get in the way

ekguy
05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Gurpy
North glenmore park? Really? If you dont mind sharing, where abouts?

I'm not even completely sure. I just went for a bike ride after a meeting at work, since I work really close to there. I'd never been in there ever, wasn't paying attention to where I was going really was just trying to get close to the water.

ekguy
05-05-2010, 09:06 AM
oh and I am thinking of making my bike into a one speed at some point, when I get a better bike. That way I can have more fun with the one I have now.