PDA

View Full Version : How to clean an oil stain?

btimbit
05-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Hey guys,

Just curious to see if anyone can help me here. One of my neighbors got their shingles replaced, and one of the roofers drove a beat up ninth generation F-150. He had it parked in front of my house for a couple hours a day when the work was being done, and it left a couple of fluid stains on the road.

Anyone have any tips on how to clean it up? It's not enough to bother the city or the roofing company with, it's just a bit of an eyesore.

Kozikman
05-03-2010, 05:50 AM
try kitty litter? pour it on the stain and grind it in with your shoes for a bit. Don't forget to sweep it up.

Dilmah
05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Kitty litter, elbow grease and a power washer. Oh and don't forget about the oil absorbing boom that the city will give you. If you talk to 311 they'll pass you to city streets dept and they're most helpful at helping you clean up your own mess, this is according to AndyL.

Ven
05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Brake cleaner. It breaks the oil down to almost nothing and evaporates it along with the cleaner.

dj_rice
05-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Simple Green and then spray water? Good for environment

D. Dub
05-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Simple green or dish detergent and elbow grease

Feruk
05-03-2010, 08:47 AM
You should ask New Orleans. Oh burn!

jwslam
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
GGcZrqP4f98

RickDaTuner
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/52fde656-0dab-4101-8e7e-56f770b8c560_4.jpg

available at the home depot.

This stuff works wonders, just make sure that where ever you apply it to is as dry as possible, otherwise the water keeps the cleaner on the surface.

freshvibes
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Gasoline. Seriously, cheapest and most effective oil remover I've ever used.

TimG
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
saturate the stain area with wd-40

apply kitty litter

cover with a piece of wood or something that will stop the wind from blowing the kitty litter away and put a weight on it

come back in a day or so.

repeat if necessary.

this works for me, but this is for getting oil stains out of concrete. don't know about asphalt

AndyL
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by freshvibes
Gasoline.
And causes breakdown of the asphalt (pothole). City has some pretty strict rules about solvents etc that you can use on the streets.

For fresher stuff - 1/2 cup of dawn to a gallon of water - dunk an old towel in it, lay over the stain, cover all with poly. Leave it for 24 hours You'll end up with an oil soaked towel and mostly clean substrate.

Older stuff and that nice goo you get if you use kitty litter and grind it in real good - or it gets wet - then you're into a pressure washer scenario. But it's your responsibility to ensure it doesn't get into the storm sewer system - acklands grainger sells absorbent booms (similar to those red/yellow ones you see everywhere in the newer areas to keep silt out of storm drains) - relatively cheap, when you pressure wash you put em downhill from the stain, they absorb the oil let the water pass through. The fine for allowing oil to get into the storm drain is ridiculous...

Spoons
05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

And causes breakdown of the asphalt (pothole). City has some pretty strict rules about solvents etc that you can use on the streets.

Not to mention that it is going to carry the oil with it into the storm drain and into the water system.

btimbit
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
For the people suggesting Kitty litter; Would a floor dry absorbent work? I know it's good for spills but can it lift out a week old stain?

FiveFreshFish
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
For the people suggesting Kitty litter; Would a floor dry absorbent work? I know it's good for spills but can it lift out a week old stain?

Yes, floor dry works better than kitty litter, at least on a garage floor.

btimbit
05-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Yes, floor dry works better than kitty litter, at least on a garage floor.

Cheers, I'll grab some tomorrow, if this weather didn't do all the work for me.

Supa Dexta
05-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Ven
Brake cleaner. It breaks the oil down to almost nothing and evaporates it along with the cleaner.

yup, I still soak it up some with a rag/ paper towel when its wet.. But it gets rid of it.

Dilmah
05-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

For fresher stuff - 1/2 cup of dawn to a gallon of water - dunk an old towel in it, lay over the stain, cover all with poly. Leave it for 24 hours You'll end up with an oil soaked towel and mostly clean substrate.

Older stuff and that nice goo you get if you use kitty litter and grind it in real good - or it gets wet - then you're into a pressure washer scenario. But it's your responsibility to ensure it doesn't get into the storm sewer system - acklands grainger sells absorbent booms (similar to those red/yellow ones you see everywhere in the newer areas to keep silt out of storm drains) - relatively cheap, when you pressure wash you put em downhill from the stain, they absorb the oil let the water pass through. The fine for allowing oil to get into the storm drain is ridiculous...

Why would you go to Acklands and buy the boom when you told us in another post that the City will give them to you, just call 311 as you suggested before... "If you talk to 311 they'll pass you to city streets dept and they're most helpful at helping you clean up your own mess" This was from your earlier post about bitching neighbours. :dunno:

sr20s14zenki
05-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Dilmah

Why would you go to Acklands and buy the boom when you told us in another post that the City will give them to you, just call 311 as you suggested before... "If you talk to 311 they'll pass you to city streets dept and they're most helpful at helping you clean up your own mess" This was from your earlier post about bitching neighbours. :dunno: You should really learn to read, you donkey. Why dont you go back to his post and read it again....If you look reeeeeeaaaaaall carefully, he doesnt say the city gave them to him, they told him to use them. He doesnt say once in his post that they provide them.

reading >you

AndyL
05-07-2010, 07:40 AM
:rofl: Dillweed - you need to seek some serious help. You really think the city hands out tools, accessories, shop supplies to anyone who calls? :facepalm: Tickets maybe - the rest your on your own.

GTS4tw
05-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Dilmah

Why would you go to Acklands and buy the boom when you told us in another post that the City will give them to you, just call 311 as you suggested before... "If you talk to 311 they'll pass you to city streets dept and they're most helpful at helping you clean up your own mess" This was from your earlier post about bitching neighbours. :dunno:

you are a retard. you do not know how to read. stop being a retard and learn how to read. thank you.