PDA

View Full Version : 0.5% or less from next letter grade

05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm about 0.45% off from an A- in a course and I really need this grade for transfer. On the course outline for the course it says "Note: Grades are not rounded nor are the grades curved. Only absolute grades are used." would it be useless to argue for that extra 0.45%?
I'm not really sure what to say to the Professor after reading that note that would be persuasive enough to bump me up, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
He just gave me the exact percentage for the group project in which I got 92.8% which gives me a final grade exactly 1% short of an A-, do you guys think it would it be pointless now?

Ebon
05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
What class was it? Was any of the grading subjective?

If not your SOL, I've been 0.001% away from the next grade before and couldn't get anything.

05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
What class was it? Was any of the grading subjective?

If not your SOL, I've been 0.001% away from the next grade before and couldn't get anything.
It's for BSEN291. Most of the grading is pretty firm, 10% class participation (I got full marks for it already), multiple choice midterm, multiple choice final, and a group project.
The group project is the only thing that could be subjective, no exact percentage is given for it and I got an A on it so I took the highest possible grade for an A from the grading scale (92-95 for an A) and used that to calculate it myself.
There was somebody who had a panic attack or asthma attack during the final and had to be carried out by EMS, one of my friend suggested using that as an excuse but that seems like a douche move and we were given an extra 15 minutes.

kaput
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM

2002civic
05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
can't hurt to ask:dunno:

swg
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
When a prof gives you a letter grade to calculate your mark, they use the mid point. so if an A is 92-95, then they would use 93.5.

That being said, it still couldn't hurt to ask.

05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
can't hurt to ask:dunno:
The note pretty much implies that straight up asking won't do any good.
Plus I'll come off as desperate (which I am lol) and a nuisance if he says no and then I keep trying to push for it by providing some reasons and excuses so might as well give my excuses in the first try.

nagooro
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, worth a shot to ask to be bumped up a bit.

Cos
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
ask but dont be a nuisance. Explain it calmly and offer to do some extra work that may help with that last half percent.

If he says no say thank you very much for your time, shake his hand, and leave. Even if he says no give him the best possible impression. That alone may make him sway it as you walk out the door and may be surprised when you pull your marks up.

05-03-2010, 04:24 PM
He just gave me the exact percentage for the group project in which I got 92.8% which gives me a final grade exactly 1% short of an A-, do you guys think it would it be pointless now? :(

eblend
05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Give it a shot, I was very close once for a business course and talked to the prof, she looked over the final exam and gave me like an extra 1 point I needed to get an A+

gqmw
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Don't they usually curve it up slightly for everyone anyways? Ask though, you never know until you try. I'd do it asap though.

sexualbanana
05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 590221010
He just gave me the exact percentage for the group project in which I got 92.8% which gives me a final grade exactly 1% short of an A-, do you guys think it would it be pointless now? :(

You had a better shot when you were at .5%. Now that you're closer to being one whole point short, it's going to be a tougher sell (though not impossible). You can always suggest doing something for extra credit like being a copy slave or something.

LMVantage
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I just finished up BSEN as well, and from everything I've learned regarding grading, your chances of getting it adjusted are slim to none. A friend of mine went in to try to get his project paper mark adjusted, and he didn't have any luck. Prof said that everything has been marked, and that's that. I agree with you that bringing up the whole EMS deal during the final would be a bad move on your part. From what I saw, a large percentage of students didn't seem to have been affected by it.

I guess it's just tough luck. They seem to make a point of being hard on the students in that course.

TDA
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Only thing you can do is formally request(paperwork and everything) a remark of the final exam (with good reasons you think you should have gotten more points). I did that in my last year where I was like 0.2% off. What happens is that they completely remark your final exam. It can go either way, they can catch a mistake where they give you too many points and end up with a lower final mark. Since you're so close to the higher grade, they're not likely to find enough points to take off to bump you down to a lower grade scale.

Do keep in mind this was a written engineering exam, which you could get part marks for showing work/partial understanding of concepts, and was worth 50% of the final mark. If you had a multiple choice final you're kinda out of luck for this method.

It worked for me and I got my A instead of A-.

This was at UofC.

BTW, it seems that they can't mess with grades once they're submitted so, this formal request is necessary, even if they agree with you.

cressida_pimpin
05-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I feel your pain. I just missed an A- by 0.105% (yes, one tenth of one percent). Prof won't do anything.

sabad66
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Just give it a shot... what's the worst that can happen?

swak
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
i was .9 away from an A- this semester.... Sucks, but its not the end of the world.

But email the prof... See what you can get.

msommers
05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I've been really close as well in an arky class with no luck. Doesn't hurt to ask but just remember there has to be a cutoff somewhere.

Thomas Gabriel
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I was .01 away once. The prof even said to everyone on the last class that he didn't care if it was 0.000001 off, he wouldn't change it. Sucks because getting one question right on any of the tests would have put it over, but oh well - I try not to think about it.

05-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I just sent the e-mail to him about the grade and how I really need it cause I want to transfer and that I could come and meet him in person to talk about it.
Seems like most of you weren't successful so I guess I shouldn't be expecting much either.

HiTempguy1
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 590221010
I just sent the e-mail to him about the grade and how I really need it cause I want to transfer and that I could come and meet him in person to talk about it.
Seems like most of you weren't successful so I guess I shouldn't be expecting much either.

Just throwing this out there, I do NOT believe an e-mail is the right way to go about this at all. Soooo easy to just go, "no".

05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Just throwing this out there, I do NOT believe an e-mail is the right way to go about this at all. Soooo easy to just go, "no".
Yeah I thought so too so at the end of the e-mail I asked if there is an opportunity to meet in person to talk about it. Dunno if it'll help

Team_Mclaren
05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
you pretty much blew it, a prof wouldnt want to meet with you especially when he knows your intention is to beg for extra marks. Shouldve just emailed him, arrange a time to meet then ask him face to face. At least that way you get a chance to plead your case.

Disoblige
05-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I would have visited him in his office.

05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
damn, well now it's too late all I can do is pray. how come all you guys who suggested going in person had to post after i've already sent it :cry:

LMVantage
05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Who was your prof? Barry or Rob?

05-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by LMVantage
Who was your prof? Barry or Rob?
Rob taught the first half and Barry taught the second half. Rob was also the one marking the presentation so I sent my e-mail to Rob.

Disoblige
05-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Did you at least mention in your e-mail that it would help you greatly if you received a grade higher in order to transfer? Reasons like this may give the prof the initiative to help you out more. :)

Other than that, I'm sure they have dealt with more than enough whiny kids in the past that just wanted an A for no good reason.

al-ti2d
05-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Rob is a really nice guy so you could have a chance of getting that A- still

But, as mentioned earlier in here, there does have to be a cutoff somewhere and it isn't fair to others if the prof gives you the A- and not them.

05-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Did you at least mention in your e-mail that it would help you greatly if you received a grade higher in order to transfer? Reasons like this may give the prof the initiative to help you out more. :)

Other than that, I'm sure they have dealt with more than enough whiny kids in the past that just wanted an A for no good reason.
Yeah I mentioned that I really needed the grade because I want to transfer into the faculty. Hopefully he'll be lenient about it.
Anyways thanks for the help everybody, hopefully somebody else could find this thread useful as well. I'll keep you guys informed

05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I got a reply back and all he said is "I am sorry the result is final."

sputnik
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Are you Asian and worried that your parents will beat you for not getting straight A's?

05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Are you Asian and worried that your parents will beat you for not getting straight A's?
No, if you read I actually need the grade for my transfer I wasn't bsing about it when I included that in my e-mail.

Hello123
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
If there is a final, ask to go over it with you.. Maybe there is some place he can boost your mark.

calgary_89
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I am assuming this is Norm?
Go over your report and just mark down every little detail where you can get extra marks.
Get in his face about it, don't send emails, go to him.
If you really are that close, you will get hit, just make sure you go over your report + presentation and point out every little thing

npham
05-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Yea you fucked up. Most profs will take a look if you are really close. I know a few people that got bumped up a tiny bit because they went directly to the prof, and presented why they deserve the extra mark. Emailing = fucking lazy.