PDA

View Full Version : Building Web sites

sxtasy
12-09-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm pretty new at building web pages. However, I just finished making a fairly simple page for my dad's company. My question is what is a good way to get the page to show up on search engines? And preferably close to the top?
thanks for help

DeSi
12-09-2003, 10:05 PM
sign up for search engines, and put a description of your site that is good for a widespread topics of searching.

DeSi
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
.........oh and search and see what other sites with a similar theme put in their descriptions....

3G
12-09-2003, 10:09 PM
use META tags ;)

roopi
12-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Submit to search engines. (It is free), use meta tags.

Use the <title></title> properly. Many people don't realize it but the contents in that tag are ranked rather high in search algorithms.

Try it for your self. Goto google and type ' car forum' and you will see beyond in the top five. Try 'car enthusiasts' and you will see the same thing.

Yes the Beyond admins do have those words in the Meta tags however the <title> is ranked higher in the algorithm.

Also have patience. It takes a while before you start showing up.

sxtasy
12-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
use META tags ;) what are meta tags?
edit- oh i guess the is a meta tag?

D'z Nutz
12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
what are meta tags?

No, meta tags are tags that look like this:

<meta>
</meta>

Do a search on google and they will show you lots of examples of how they're used and what you can do with them.

roopi
12-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
what are meta tags?

No the <title></title> is not a meta tag.

Meta tags are used by search engines for keywords and descriptions.

Goto http://forums.beyond.ca/ and then view the source code. In the code take a look at lines 10 to 15 and you will see the meta tags. Pretty simple.

If that is to complicated for you visit this site:

http://www.submitcorner.com/Tools/Meta/

and follow the instuctions. It will generate the tags for you. Then you just need to copy and paste.

sxtasy
12-09-2003, 11:15 PM
thanks guys