PDA

View Full Version : Good place to buy pool cues?

Jim Rome99
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Any suggestions? Online or here in Calgary, I don't care. What's a good name brand? Thanks.

spikerS
05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
classic Q has a few "decent" cues.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I may have a couple I am willing to part with.

And if you can find a "Hearn" cue in Calgary, I would jump all over that in a heart beat.

Greg Hearn was a pool player here in Calgary that made some incredible cues. When I was playing pool semi-professionally, his was my go to cue.

Jim Rome99
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm looking to buy one for my girlfriend for her birthday, we enjoy going out and playing pool together on occasion. We're both terrible players but like to play.

$100 would be about the most I'd be willing to spend, how much do these things run? Is 100 bucks going to get me something decent or something terrible? I really have no idea how much pool cues cost.

spikerS
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
$100 is not going to get you anything decent, however, if you are just looking to smack the balls around, Wal-Mart has some "mike massey" pool cues. I think they are ~$50, but don't expect them to last or be good quality. I am still shaking my head that he would put his name on something like that.

Just thinking to what I have at home in terms of Cues. I think I have an old dufferin cue I could let go for $100, but it is an older cue, and is not exactly pretty to look at, But it is 1000 times better than anything you will find at Wal-Mart in terms of quality, and Dufferin was considered a low-entery cue.

spikerS
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
and Just to put this in perspective, I have ~14-15 cues in my basement. My initial cost on these cues start from $250, and my most expensive cue was $3800. I have also personally used cues that were over $12k.

Jim Rome99
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I appreciate the offer, but I'm looking to buy something new for her. I'm sure you understand as it is a birthday present.

What will something half decent run me? Are we talking thousands?

spikerS
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
something decent that will last, perform properly, not warp easily, and be of decent quality can be had for under $400.

Some decent names:
McDermott
Viking
Predator
Falcon

Some low end entry cues
J&J
Dufferin
Stealth

As for finding them in Calgary, there really isn't much anymore. Mike's Billiards used to have some nice cues, but they shut down last year. same with that place DT on 6th and 9th SW.

I don't know if Sharky's billiards on Heritage and Mcloed is still open or selling cues. Classic Q on Mcloud and anderson (i think, by that walmart) has about a dozen cues in at any given time.

found this place on line, and for $168.72 including taxes and shipping, this is a pretty sweet deal!

http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/mcdermott/competitor_series/26/m61e

And as a bonus, McDermott cues have a lifetime warranty for warpage too!

Jim Rome99
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by spikers
something decent that will last, perform properly, not warp easily, and be of decent quality can be had for under $400.

Some decent names:
McDermott
Viking
Predator
Falcon

Some low end entry cues
J&J
Dufferin
Stealth

As for finding them in Calgary, there really isn't much anymore. Mike's Billiards used to have some nice cues, but they shut down last year. same with that place DT on 6th and 9th SW.

I don't know if Sharky's billiards on Heritage and Mcloed is still open or selling cues. Classic Q on Mcloud and anderson (i think, by that walmart) has about a dozen cues in at any given time.

found this place on line, and for $168.72 including taxes and shipping, this is a pretty sweet deal!

http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/mcdermott/competitor_series/26/m61e

And as a bonus, McDermott cues have a lifetime warranty for warpage too!

Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to respond in this thread. I really really appreciate it. I'm going to buy that thing online, looks like a great deal. Thanks again.

spikerS
05-03-2010, 08:57 PM
actually, that site is not bad at all. Prices are really good, and checking around the web seem to be pretty reputable.

I should stop now, but I miss playing pool. This is going to bite me in the ass lol.

Jim Rome99
05-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I hate to bug you again, but I thought I had bought the cue you suggested last night. Today I got a call from them; the model you suggested is out of stock until June and my girlfriend's birthday is this coming Monday. Can you suggest another for me from the same site? I'm afraid the sales guy will suggest a crappy one as I don't know the difference. Thanks.

theken
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
K. Google cuetec earl strickland. I had that cue gave it to a buddy. I fucking loved that cue. Its been seen for 125 bucks us. I searched that and got a site on the first page.
Its white and looks really good, smooth wood. Excellent medium level cue for a decent price. I paid over 300 for mine when I bought it.

KingVersace
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I can get u guys good pool cues. u wanna trade for some VERSACE?

spikerS
05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
I hate to bug you again, but I thought I had bought the cue you suggested last night. Today I got a call from them; the model you suggested is out of stock until June and my girlfriend's birthday is this coming Monday. Can you suggest another for me from the same site? I'm afraid the sales guy will suggest a crappy one as I don't know the difference. Thanks.

http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/mcdermott/all/1/m61d

or

This is a step down in quality, but still decent enough for you guys to have a consistent cue.

http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/scorpion/all/2/sco22

If you are willing to spend a little more,

http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/mcdermott/all/2/m91o

I really recommend the McDermotts because of their warranty and shafts are really easy to warp without proper care, and they have a warranty for it

and just some advice, take the free gift of a case if you get it from there.

KeepItGully
05-06-2010, 04:04 PM
$100 is not going to get you anything decent. I think I have an old dufferin cue I could let go for $100, but it is an older cue, and is not exactly pretty to look at, But it is 1000 times better than anything you will find at Wal-Mart in terms of quality, and Dufferin was considered a low-entery cue.

Lol. I work in the billiards industry and wouldn't suggest listening to this kind of advice.

Dufferin made great affordable Canadian products. Low-quality? No.

I'm guessing your looking for a two piece cue if your more commonly taking it to the pub..
To be honest with you, within a $100 budget most two-piece cues will give you the same quality. Look for asthetics and try to find something she would like (colors etc).
Keep in mind the cue won't come with a case and you would be looking at another $80 for something basic.
I would recomend SML entertainment in the NE for selection but prepare to get gauged.

My only other suggestion would be that if your interested in a nice looking, glossy, one-piece fiberglass cue (what I use at home) go hit up Pathmark near the old costco and tell em Paul with ace sent you and they will be able to help you out.
It's a cue international fiberglass by the way.
Hope that helps!

The_Rural_Juror
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Does Hearn still make cues? Brings back lots of memories. :)

spikerS
05-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

Lol. I work in the billiards industry and wouldn't suggest listening to this kind of advice.

Dufferin made great affordable Canadian products. Low-quality? No.

ROFL, ok, if you really are in the industry, you know that 90% of what dufferin put out for cues are junk. the other 10% were rumored to be made by reputable cue makes and labeled as dufferin.

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Does Hearn still make cues? Brings back lots of memories. :)

No Hearn does not make cues anymore. I wanted to get a new shaft cut for 2 of my Hearn cues, found out he died a couple years back.

KeepItGully
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM

ROFL, ok, if you really are in the industry, you know that 90% of what dufferin put out for cues are junk. the other 10% were rumored to be made by reputable cue makes and labeled as dufferin.

Again, you're wrong.
If only you had any idea of what happened when Duffy went under.
Asking $100 for that used cue of yours makes me know your missunderstood. :dunno:

spikerS
05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

Again, you're wrong.
If only you had any idea of what happened when Duffy went under.
Asking $100 for that used cue of yours makes me know your missunderstood. :dunno:

ok then, enlighten the masses. I for one am all ears.

Jim Rome99
05-08-2010, 05:36 PM
The cue showed up yesterday, picked it up today at the post office, thanks again! Should make a great gift.

dandia89
05-09-2010, 01:32 PM
i dont mean to take this off-topic, but spikers what leagues were you in? i'm half decent when im on my game but i think itd be sweet to join some leagues tournaments, just to play some people who wouldn't completely destroy me.

spikerS
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
i dont mean to take this off-topic, but spikers what leagues were you in? i'm half decent when im on my game but i think itd be sweet to join some leagues tournaments, just to play some people who wouldn't completely destroy me.

I have been out of the leagues since '02/'03, so I am sure the scene in Calgary has changed a lot.

SML (Southern Music) used to run a couple of different leagues. When I was playing there was mainly VNEA (Valley National Eight-ball Association) and BCA (Billiard Congress of America), and each has it's own set of rules. I don't know if things have changed since, but they didn't run any tournaments until playoffs, and even then, they were team playoffs to find out who went to Vegas to play in the big show.

As for single tournaments, I think Classic Q is running them every so often, I would call them to find out. Back in the day, Most tournaments were just run out of a bar with a bunch of locals.

I seem to remember another league being run in the city back when, but I don't remember who they were, but I think they were running it with BCA rules as well.

If you want to really step up your game and learn alot, Sign up as a spare or at the beginning of the year, they take single registrations as well and mix em up into a team. This is a really good way to learn a lot, and quick. Most people are approachable and willing to teach, just be friendly and don't go in with any kind of attitude.

another option to learn, take some lessons. Again, I am not sure what pool halls are still running in town, but if there are any, and are reputable, will usually have a "house pro" that are willing to give lessons.

Biggest thing I can suggest to a new player that wants to get a bit serious is: decide if you want to play snooker, 8-ball or 9-ball. try em all out, decide which you like best, and then stick to it. Don't jump from game to game. If you decide on 9-ball, stick with 9-ball. Jumping between will throw you off. lots of arguments to do it, but IMO, hurts you in the long run.

Anton
05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
*Snip*

I played on a league at Classic Q that just finished up. I know there's a 3 person 9 ball tournament starting in June but I'm sure there's other ones going on there.

Really nice place with great people and great staff! Let me know dandia if you end up joining it cause I'm there quite a bit.

And KeepItGully, I'd like to know your opinion to learn more about the game but thus far Spikers has been way more helpful.

dandia89
05-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Nice thanks for all the info, its really helpful. I'll check out classic q this weekend since its so close to my house and see what more info i can get :D

dirtsniffer
05-11-2010, 12:36 AM
double possst

dirtsniffer
05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
chalks is having a scotch doubles 8 ball league starting up in may. its down south on banister road. i would also like to know why dufferin went under

spikerS
05-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
chalks is having a scotch doubles 8 ball league starting up in may. its down south on banister road. i would also like to know why dufferin went under

I don't know the specifics of why they did, I just know that as far as pool cues went, they were low end, entry level cues. You could buy 80% of their cues from <$150, and the rest were pretty gross. I remember some that they had that had animal prints on them, if you had one of those wolf t-shirts, they went well together. lol

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a Dufferin cue, and will provide more consistency than not having a cue, or getting one from wal-mart, but it is like comparing a Lada (bar cue) to a Honda (Dufferin) to a BMW(Decent names).

spikerS
05-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
The cue showed up yesterday, picked it up today at the post office, thanks again! Should make a great gift.

Did she like it? you guys try it out yet?

Remember to get the tip shaped. A brand new tip is not shaped properly for playing, and will have a slick top, if you don't, your shots will be horrible.

My offer via PM still stands, I will meet up with you and get it ready to play.

Mar
05-11-2010, 09:20 AM
You can buy any butt end pretty much, just get something that's comfortable, doesn't slip and feels good in your hand. Then spend your money on the shaft, last I heard Predator was making some good ones. Get something with an absolute straight grain and a good tip.

You don't have to buy the whole cue together, the package deals are normally not so good.