PDA

View Full Version : Whats keeping you at your job?

swak
05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
What keeps you from leaving your current place of work?
Ive been at my place of work for ~3 years, and am strongly considering going elsewhere, but theres also many things that are keeping me at this current job.

What keeps you at your current job?
The hours?
Pay?
Benefits?
etc....

nismo_fan
05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
to be honest, the three things that keep me at my job are:

1. the people. i like just about all the people i work with. being able to stand them for hours on end is definately a plus!

2. the perks. i get to drive some nice cars (nothing of supercar status, but nicer than the average...), i get to do a lot of fucking around (but i get paid shit so......), and i'm able to take care of odds and ends while i'm at work (go to the bank, go pay a bill, etc.)

3. and last but not least, probably the benefits. there aren't many plusses (wtf is the plural of plus?!?) but at least some of it is there. lol.....

anyhow, that's how i ended up getting to my current work. i'm sick of making lots of money but hating my job. i'm sick of bosses who don't care/are too incompetent to do their jobs. my boss is fucking awesome. i've never had a better one! not only is he my boss, but i also consider him a friend. not to sound too gay, but having a boss who understands you is wicked. anyhow, just my 0.02.........

Speed_69
05-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm basically just staying at my job because of the benefits, the money so I can pay my bills and save for a house, and mainly the experience.

Once I get the experience I need to go elsewhere, I'll probably start looking.

The_Rural_Juror
05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
my wife.

Graham_A_M
05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
1) I LOVE my managers, (going for golf this weekend with them)

2) Pay and benefits are just awesome, full dental, health, perscriptions (etc etc) I make as much here as what I did back in the oil patch. Only here Im not surrounded by druggies, assholes and Im not 3 hrs away from anything close to something with a vagina that walks on two feet.

3) New start up company, so there are tons of opportunities for career growth in a wide varieties of areas. Everybody loves me there, and is eager for me to become team leader, especially the management.

Nice to see that after so many years of career let downs and and the like; I`ve been given a break for *once*.
:dunno:I take home almost as much per month as I used to back in the oil patch.

Thaco
05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Money, laziness (not wanting to learn a new job), a couple of the people I'd miss... and lack of credentials to get a job i'd actually want.

Maxt
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
The money... Thats all........

Cos
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
For me

1.) Managers/Owners are amazing. Most are ex-directors at our client companies.

2.) Pay is good. Just simply good, a little better than if I did the same job at my client office.

3.) Experience is killer. Our client offices are union but we are not. For some people that is scary as you dont have the union behind you. But for me in the two years I have been there they have sent me to countless conferences and training sessions. They are sending me to get my PMP. I was acting manager of my team for a while. Tons of those things I couldnt do if I was union.

4.) The people are awesome. Some are even on beyond. haha We all work our assess off but when we party or fuck around at work we all know how to do it.

I get the uneasiness to move companies every once and a while but I think that is because of 1.) Wanting change and a new job is the easiest. 2.) seeing people make even more cash than me (or spending it anyways) and wish I could be pulling in that kind of coin to spend on toys.

I get the restlessness sometimes too but think unless the company goes under I will be staying there for a while (assuming the top 4 points stay the same).

Unknown303
05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Time off, is about it really.

Jim Rome99
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
money

YamahaV8
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Nothing. I hate my job. Just not much other work out there in my field.

sr20s14zenki
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
My boss is my age, he pays me well, i am in a position of authority, and we go for wings on a regular basis. I am one of those rare people who just love their jobs (=. I can practically call my boss a friend, and thats a good thing.

Cos
05-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
My boss is my age, he pays me well, i am in a position of authority, and we go for wings on a regular basis. I am one of those rare people who just love their jobs (=. I can practically call my boss a friend, and thats a good thing.

Mine isn't my age but him and his wife drove up to my house warming on the weekend. Was really great.

Sounds like a great boss really sets a good work environment. That is the 4th or 5th person who has mentioned that.

sr20s14zenki
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Mine isn't my age but him and his wife drove up to my house warming on the weekend. Was really great.

Sounds like a great boss really sets a good work environment. That is the 4th or 5th person who has mentioned that.

Environment, and feeling good at work is BIG in my books. Also, not being just another number is also good. I can wake up and go to work knowing i dont have to take orders from an asshole, or deal with asshole employees. Ive been there, ive done that, im done with that. I may even buy into this company, im there to stay if things continue the way they are.

BlackArcher101
05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
The fact that it's a job which pays the same as my previous one.

natejj
05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Variety...get to talk to cool airplanes some times, F18's, Blackhawks, MI26 (world's largest helicopter), its different every day, the money, the ridiculous amount of time off, get challenged on a regular basis.

wes_v
05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by nismo_fan
to be honest, the three things that keep me at my job are:

1. the people. i like just about all the people i work with. being able to stand them for hours on end is definately a plus!

2. the perks. i get to drive some nice cars (nothing of supercar status, but nicer than the average...), i get to do a lot of fucking around (but i get paid shit so......), and i'm able to take care of odds and ends while i'm at work (go to the bank, go pay a bill, etc.)

3. and last but not least, probably the benefits. there aren't many plusses (wtf is the plural of plus?!?) but at least some of it is there. lol.....

anyhow, that's how i ended up getting to my current work. i'm sick of making lots of money but hating my job. i'm sick of bosses who don't care/are too incompetent to do their jobs. my boss is fucking awesome. i've never had a better one! not only is he my boss, but i also consider him a friend. not to sound too gay, but having a boss who understands you is wicked. anyhow, just my 0.02.........

Sounds like you are a lot attendant/detailer at a car dealership like me? am i right??

Disoblige
05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Just started my internship in Okotoks. So far, great pay (not hourly), people I work with love cars and work on cars all day, we have our own lift there too and owner lets us work on our cars on it.

Only thing is that it's a 50 km drive back and forth from Calgary haha.. Oh well, commute could be worse. I get home in ~40 minutes.

Davetronz
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
For me it's the awesome boss, my seniority, the flexibility of hours and the freedom to do the things I like to do. I hate being micromanaged and my boss let's me arrive at the final product however I want as long as I am within timelines and budget. I've got some geat coworkers too, and my wife works at the same company so we can carpool and eat lunch together.

Sykes
05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
They say if you love your job 70% of the time and hate the remaining 30%, you have a good job.

The 70%:
1. My students - I teach EAL to adults which is often rewarding as it provides an important practical need. I often feel energized when I come home from teaching my classes.

2. Pay - The organization I work at is sponsored by the provincial government, so the pay is really good.

3. Benefits - Dental work isn't cheap and some work was long overdue (i.e. wisdom teeth).

4. Colleagues - I work with some awesome teachers (which makes the classroom environment that much more fun).

The 30% (which isn't even all that bad):
1. Meetings - These go on longer than they need to because a select few talk way too much, which spurs on the other people that talk way too much.

2. Paperwork - Monthly teaching reports, attendance reports, report cards, etc etc.

K3RMiTdot
05-04-2010, 12:06 AM
i got nothing good in my work cept for the face i get to work with fun people. a shitty pay, but it doesnt matter if u hate your job

civic_ek4
05-04-2010, 02:28 AM
the money

potential intergration with a better name

2Valve0
05-04-2010, 03:12 AM
The only reason I work is to support myself as a student. I drink too much, eat to much, buy to many expensive clothes and spend too much money on cars. If I didn't do any of those I would not work and sit around all day while going to school.

I guess If I had to say something good the experience is great for any future career I choose to go into? The pay is wicked as well.

As people said before, if I disliked my boss I'd tell him to fk himself and leave. What I have noticed is the good bosses are the educated bosses(for the most part). The assholes are the ones who somehow landed in the job and think they are big shit because they didn't have to go to school, which is rare.

btimbit
05-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Great people, decent hours (for now at least) and because nowhere else ever calls me back:nut:

Jry_79
05-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Money......and the responsibility to pay the bills......if I didn't need both those factors I'd be on a beach right now doing absolutely nothing

jfit09
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
self-employed.

however when I worked for others I enjoyed my job 95% of the time as I approached most days with a fresh new positive attitude. On the 5% the only thing that was wrong with the job was my attitude towards it, nothing else. Just my 0.02

Crymson
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
My f'ing mortgage.

davidI
05-04-2010, 08:47 AM
6 months of holiday. Great salary. Free airfare wherever I want to go 6 times a year. That said, I still hate working for a big company.

Tik-Tok
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by swak

What keeps you at your current job?
The hours?
Pay?
Benefits?
etc....

My hours are shit, my pay is ok, my benefits are non-existant, and I hate my boss.

However I have the most secure job you can have in my industry without being a 30 year union guy. All my friends from school have been laid off at least twice in the past 8 years, but I'm quite steady.

Skyline_Addict
05-04-2010, 08:55 AM
1) Work Experience and Tenure - Needed for future job prospects and post-graduate education.

2) Regular Hours - Basic Mon-Fri 9-5 job, manage to do it with very little OT.

3) Money - Gotta pay the bills. But if I quit my job right now, I could live prudently for many months without having to worry about losing my house or having food to eat.

4) Benefits - They're decent. As a younger, healthier person, I suppose I can't say I've fully utilized my benefits.

5) Looking Elsewhere - Don't like my job enough to stay for a number of reasons. Pursuing other opportunties.

JfuckinC
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by davidI
6 months of holiday. Great salary. Free airfare wherever I want to go 6 times a year. That said, I still hate working for a big company.

I'll trade you for my small company :D
Whats keeping me here right now? The slow work load in O&G and my connection to my clients.. We'll see what happens in the very new future :D

Kloubek
05-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I've been at my current job for over a decade. My skills are quite specified, and it makes it somewhat difficult to get a job elsewhere. That's the main reason I don't leave.

Second to that, due to the length of time I've been here, the multiple raises over the years makes my pay fairly reasonable. That means if I were to go elsewhere, I really need to upgrade to a management position to get enough pay to make it worthwhile to leave. And since I have no management experience, that's tricky too.

Plus, I can surf Beyond and everwhere else while I work. (And I most certainly do). The environment is very lax.

With all this said, I'm looking into self-employment ventures... it seems the best way to make good money and ensuring a position for myself. :)

Chandler_Racing
05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
For me, it's a combination of factors:

1. Balance: My old employeer expected us to work a minimum of 50 hours per week during busy season. Realistically, we worked between 60 - 70 hours, but we unable to charge this time to the docket to ensure we were "within budget." Of course there was no overtime pay regardless of how long you worked. Now, my work weeks are 37- 40 hours.

2. Work enviroment: I now report to only one person in my organization outside of the Board of Directors. Having the ability to determine where my time should be allocated makes life a whole lot easier than being pulled in three different directions by three different partners.

3. Compensation! I received a 66% increase in pay during a recession. The pay raise does not include my bonus, RRSP matching, parking or stock options.

Tomaz
05-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Pros:

Salary - Great knowing what you are getting each check, even when struggling with time management.

People - I have very nice people in the office

Benefits - Though I have used it all up, it really does help!

And the biggest reason of all: I am fucking good at what I do! After trying so many things, finding something you are great at is hard.

Cons:

Even though i am good at what I do, I don't enjoy what I do.

The pay - I make the least out of all my friends and colleagues. By a lot.

Advancement - There is none, anymore.

I guess, the only real reason I stay here is because I haven't found anything better as of yet.

jjmac
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Boss and Experience

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Job Numero Uno: People I work with. Pay is average I guess, little to no benefits, and they wont give me time off for vacation so i'm going to have to quit in a month or so.

Job two: Great pay, love working outside, get paid to have fun with little kids, fun drive to work, pretty much no supervision, lots of pay increases, lots of room for advancement.

Of course I will be actually working full time as an apprentice once I finish my course at SAIT.

Aleks
05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
$ providing comfortable living for family.

LUDELVR
05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, considering the fact that for the most part, we all grow up accustomed to the routines of going to school, getting weekends, stat holidays, easter/spring break, Christmas and summers off I couldn't very well abandon this procured itinerary so there you have it! That in itself makes it worthwhile remaining in my deisred profession.:thumbsup:

On the other hand, high needs parents, dickhead and dropkick students, marking and planning makes the job a little more stressful. As well, colleagues that are so far up their own areses makes it a little difficult too. Fortunately, I love the staff I'm working with but am only on a temp. contract and need to seek another school because we are losing an additional 70 kids for next year! :thumbsdow

All in all, I love my profession and what I do. The benefits, the holidays, the people and the definitely the pay are a distant second, third, fourth and fifth.

n1zm0
05-04-2010, 10:23 AM
for me it's pay, good co-workers, hours and the rare administrative position for someone my age in my industry, the longer i stay the more chance i can have to work for the 'big league' companies with this being on my resume.

all in that order of importance to me.

Wehbeast
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Good pay, great colleagues, ok pay, wicked benefits. Just trying to get experience in the field so I can go back to SAIT and become an instructor and get ok pay and wicked days off :)

Pollywog
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
The fact that I like who I work with, I can swear and talk shit with 90% of my customers, weed-friendly, and I come home feeling like I accomplished something.

BenC
05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
The people, I work with a bunch of guys and all we do is joke around. Leave work whenever

The pay is ok, but I get wicked perks and bonus'

topmade
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
1) Pay
2) Benefits and bonuses
3) Flexibility as we can take a day off with less then a days notice. This varies by managers, but as long as we have coverage we're good to go.
4) Perks - Lots of free events like tickets to the saddledome events, and other functions. Employee appreciation weeks. Free pop, popcorn, nacho cheese and slurpees!!! :clap:

JfuckinC
05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog
The fact that I like who I work with, I can swear and talk shit with 90% of my customers, weed-friendly, and I come home feeling like I accomplished something.

What are you a weed runner? haha

Skyline_Addict
05-05-2010, 01:43 AM
for sure, your boss can make or break your experience.

as they say, you're just one boss away from heaven or hell...

masoncgy
05-05-2010, 09:10 AM
The paychecks... just under 3 months left in Calgary... need to ride this baby until the end.

jonnycat
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Pros:

Hours Mon to Fri 8-5. Almost impossible to find elsewhere in my field.

Wage - Salary plus commission. I'd like more, but this works for now and Stock options.

Security - while never guaranteed, in my position I handle the greatest volume and produce the largest profit out of a group of eight. While replaceable, it wouldn't be in the company's best interest to do so. I've become the go to guy for answers to many problems.

Cons:

Wage - while decent, they have whiddled away ~25% of my annual take, in commission reductions, loss of vehicle allowance and gas card. My income didn't actually drop, as business picked up subtantially, but I could have earned a lot more.

Security - Would like to move to Calgary within company, but they like me where I am.

Being the go to guy for shit I don't deal with.

Mar
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I own the business. :dunno:

forced_eg
05-05-2010, 09:58 AM
1. The stress (i enjoy it)
2. The hours leave me with evenings and weekends to myself
3. The sidejobs that I can do now
3. The benefits

max_boost
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Pros: $$$ and I'm the boss

Cons: 7 days a week so not a lot of free time

The real reason what's keeping me here? I have no education. No other work related experience so in other words, I can't do anything else. FML. My only out is to win lotto max with Tomco and the 3 other Beyonders.

WhippWhapp
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
$$$

ekguy
05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Pay
Awesome staff
The fact that it's funding my move to NB in a year hehe.

j.garner
05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Pros.
Hours are 8-4
Pay is decent
Relaxed atmosphere can go on beyond at work etc.

Cons
Could always use more money

StreetRacerX
05-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Pro's:
-Decent crew right now, only one guy who's loopy and one guy who might steal shit from the company and fellow employees.

-Uh benefits I don't really use I guess.

-Opportunity to get into some trades

-Company owner lets me store my car and tools/parts at his acreage for free.

-Different things to do each day, usually don't know whats going to happen the next day.

Con's:
-Overtime is fcked, need 54 hours a week to get O/T now, I worked 31 1/2 hours straight and the only O/T I got was on a dig job done at night(13 hours) and only because the owner was there and said it would be O/T, the 6 1/2hr job I had to do Saturday immediatly after the dig was regular, even though I had worked Friday 7:30AM to 8:00PM Day work, Dig was then 8:00PM Fri to 9:00AM Saturday, On call job was 9:00AM Sat to 3:30PM Sat.

-Company isn't willing to provide cleaning supplies for messy jobs,(rags, drop sheets etc)

-Pain in the ass to get shitty equipment or worn parts replaced.

-Company fleet looks like balls

-They pay you as little as they are allowed, mind you I've managed to get to where I am fairly early since starting in the company. I've been at my current wage for a long while, hence why I must go to school to increase wage. I suspect most companies are similar in this manner, it is a con none the less.

-Probably more stuff I could go on about

e31
05-05-2010, 12:37 PM
If I can't answer this question, am I in trouble???

ekguy
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by e31
If I can't answer this question, am I in trouble???

yes...find new employment.

malcolmk14
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I work for Reggin Services.

Seeing the company name in a mirror keeps me there.

*I don't actually work for Reggin.

A790
05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
1) Good work environment.
2) Talented coworkers/management.
3) Right up my alley.
4) Decent pay, I guess.

ercchry
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX

-They pay you as little as they are allowed, mind you I've managed to get to where I am fairly early since starting in the company. I've been at my current wage for a long while, hence why I must go to school to increase wage. I suspect most companies are similar in this manner, it is a con none the less.

kevin... the grass is 1000x brighter in all directions from that company... if i was still there when they changed the OT shit up you know i would have raised allll hell... that company should not be in operation...

EDIT: they screwed you out of ~ $200 for that 31.5 hour stint you did... that alone is enough to cover half a year's worth of outdoor storage for your car

Graham_A_M
05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

The real reason what's keeping me here? I have no education. No other work related experience so in other words, I can't do anything else. FML. My only out is to win lotto max with Tomco and the 3 other Beyonders.

LOL, more like $$$$$$$$$

I think you make more then a good chunk of your fellow Beyonders ;)

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
Pro's:
-Decent crew right now, only one guy who's loopy and one guy who might steal shit from the company and fellow employees.

-Uh benefits I don't really use I guess.

-Opportunity to get into some trades

-Company owner lets me store my car and tools/parts at his acreage for free.

-Different things to do each day, usually don't know whats going to happen the next day.

Con's:
-Overtime is fcked, need 54 hours a week to get O/T now, I worked 31 1/2 hours straight and the only O/T I got was on a dig job done at night(13 hours) and only because the owner was there and said it would be O/T, the 6 1/2hr job I had to do Saturday immediatly after the dig was regular, even though I had worked Friday 7:30AM to 8:00PM Day work, Dig was then 8:00PM Fri to 9:00AM Saturday, On call job was 9:00AM Sat to 3:30PM Sat.

-Company isn't willing to provide cleaning supplies for messy jobs,(rags, drop sheets etc)

-Pain in the ass to get shitty equipment or worn parts replaced.

-Company fleet looks like balls

Yeah I think you'd best start seriously looking. I left a place very very similar to that, then moved on to where I am now, and that was one of the best career choices I've made in quite a few years. Life is too short and too precious to waste at a piss hole like that. :nut:
Besides, you sound like a damn good employee for putting up with that, Im sure you're the kind of guy that a LOT of companies would want to have as an employee. I know of a few good places hiring, and paying decent money; so PM me if you want.

ercchry
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Yeah I think you'd best start seriously looking. I left a place very very similar to that, then moved on to where I am now, and that was one of the best career choices I've made in quite a few years. Life is too short and too precious to waste at a piss hole like that. :nut:
Besides, you sound like a damn good employee for putting up with that, Im sure you're the kind of guy that a LOT of companies would want to have as an employee. I know of a few good places hiring, and paying decent money; so PM me if you want.

you do not even know the half of it... i once witnessed kevin being lowered into a ~20ft deep sump by a sketch ass tripod rigged together with poor grade hardware and an emergency USED harness ie. it should have been in the garbage and it's original use was in case you fell of something... NOT designed to be lowered with

EDIT: and yes kevin is an extremely loyal hard working employee, for the year i worked with him i do not believe he was late or sick once

Graham_A_M
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
^ Get him to send me his resume then. Gmonette (at) canada.com

Cooked Rice
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
1. Job security. Not going to get a notice saying i'm going to get laid off etc because things are slow and they don't need me anymore.

2. Pay is decent, and getting paid weekly which is nice.

3. Co-workers and friends at work. We all get along for the most part and do things as a team.

4. Good benefits as well as tuition reimbursement.

5. Decent overtime opportunities.

Cons:
1. My 1AM Sunday shift
2. Working outside in shitty weather (like these last 2 weeks).

Jlude
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM

This.

Minus the lotto max, I opted not to play the lotto with you guys.

StreetRacerX
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

you do not even know the half of it... i once witnessed kevin being lowered into a ~20ft deep sump by a sketch ass tripod rigged together with poor grade hardware and an emergency USED harness ie. it should have been in the garbage and it's original use was in case you fell of something... NOT designed to be lowered with

EDIT: and yes kevin is an extremely loyal hard working employee, for the year i worked with him i do not believe he was late or sick once

Ah memories Eric, those were good times no?:rofl: :nut:
Suffice to say not a whole lot has changed but at least back then you could make a killing off O/T, and typically charge the same hours the company did. Thanks for the good input btw!

@Graham
As it stand I am currently attending SAIT and probably won't leave this company until I've put in a bit of time afterwards, so as to not come off as a nob who just used the company to get me through school(they are paying my tuition, not until they see my marks though, which is understandable).

The company I've grown quite fond of is Excelair, they have a good crew and I enjoy working with their guys on jobs, but I am of course open to other options, so as soon as I get a resume fired up I'll send it over.

Graham_A_M
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
^ Sure, I know a few good places looking for guys like yourself.

Anyway, best wishes at Sait until then. :thumbsup:

AG_Styles
05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Pros:
1) Love my work. What i've wanted to do since i was 10.
2) I get to play video games at work
3) Very lax dress code. I show up in tracks and shorts half the time.
4) Decent pay (could be higher after i'm done my Junior designation) with full benefits. Company pays for my apartment.
5) Work environment has 40% girls for a software company is a plus.

Cons:
1) In a city I dont particularly like.
2) Can sometimes work insane hours including weekends during crunch times.

Majestic12
05-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Pros:

1. Very high income ceiling

2. Mentoring... My boss is probably one of the smartest lawyers I've ever met. He was making well over 6 figures after two years of practice, and nearly tripled that in his third year. No idea how much he makes now, but he is only 38 years old.

3. Easygoing. Place is run more like the restaurant in Waiting (that Ryan Reynolds movie) than a snooty law firm.

Cons:

1. Tough work. Especially at trial time. Had a huge trial this week, so was in the office all last week, through the weekend, and 7:30am-9pm every day this week.

2. Risky. If you fuck up, you get fucked up. If not by the client, then by the boss. If not by the boss, then by the law society.

3. Surrounded by Canucks fans

Disoblige
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM

Wish Tom PMed us before he finalized it :( ..
I only got the "ball rollin" PM but next time I asked about it, it started already.

themack89
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Not employed at the moment.. But I had a revelation.

Find the work you love and learn how to make money separately.

I did two years of business at the U before realizing this. Instead I thought about why the fck am I here? What did I actually want to do? I have an addiction to highway driving, just love it more than anything. I dropped out of School to pursue my Class 1 so I could drive a truck.

It hasn't come to fruition yet, I'm doing my road test on May. 14th, but then I'll be out the door!

Where will I get my money from? I've had the luxury of being able to sit on my ass since about 16 years old and learn trading (leverage is a god send if you learn how to manage it). Like any pursuit worthwhile--it took lots of early mornings and 'hard work' as some would call it. Pyramids weren't built in a day.

My advice to you all: separate your career and your money. If the two happen to collaborate, consider yourself extremely lucky!

I'm looking very forward to my life. :angel:

Rat Fink
05-09-2010, 10:52 AM

88jbody
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I like most of my job.

why I stay
1. great co-workers
2. the money (i am paid on flat rate in auto repair industry)
3. I rarely work hard or break a sweat. I spend at least an hour a day surfing the internet, another hour or more just talking, and still meet my bonus levels
4. I can come and go when I need to if I have to do something during the day.
5. my "supervisor" aka shop foreman is great, easy going and 90% of our department go for drinks together.

the down. the service manager is a douche, fair and reasonable but a douche. and the shop normally runs smoother when he stays in his office and keeps out of the shop.

Sorath
05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Nothing, i quit last week lol

brucebanner
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Pros: Co-Workers, make "ok" money, lots of experienced guys to help me further myself in the trade. Take time off when I need without much hassle. Overall good place to work with a very good environment.

Cons: No set time off and in turn I work a lot. Also, because of the amount of time I'm working I don't have much of a life. Work out of town 100% of the time. Underpaid compared to other people I know in the trade.

I will be persuing other companies after the summer so I can have a set schedule and make more money.