PDA

View Full Version : Salvage inspection, will body damage matter?

cjay^
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM
So I want to buy this car in Edmonton, and can get a smokin deal on it because it is currently salvage (repairable vehicle status) due to a little dent over the rear wheel arch. Besides that, as far as the pictures are concerned there is absolutely nothing else wrong with the car... even the windshield is mint. It's a 1994 with 155,000km so really how bad could it be?

The problem is that I need to drive the car home to Calgary but cannot get insurance because the car has not yet passed a salvage inspection. So my question is, could this vehicle pass a salvage inspection without repairing the little bit of body damage, assuming of course everything else passes?

If it would, I can get it inspected in Edmonton, get the place to fax the inspection to my insurance company and I'm safe to drive it home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/xtremist107/3461iim_20.jpg

As you can see, the damage is pretty insignificant.

I've tried googling for a salvage inspection check list, or basically a blank salvage inspection to see exactly what they look for but couldnt find a thing.

2EFNFAST
05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
km so really how bad could it be?

I'm for lolz when you get in on a lift :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shlade
05-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Doubt it, Theres a reason it got written off that fast.

Their going to ding you for absolutley everything. If something is even a tad bit worn off they wont pass it.

IMHO Stay the fuck away from it, Doesnt matter how cheap it is, Its salvaged.

Find another car.

97luder
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
yeah im not sure about the body damage but when they do the salvage inspection they go over EVERYTHING , from EGL to balljoints to tires , so maybe they wont care about the body but there could be other problems once you get it on a lift

Kloubek
05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
The damage you see is insignificant, yes. But how do you know there was not a lot more, and it was just covered up?

Basically, a car will only be salvage if they deem it not worthwhile to repair it. Which means that the damage was severe, unless it is a really old car and not worth almost anything anyway.

Keep that in mind.

corsvette
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Just because its salvaged does not mean it has any damage other than what you see on the quarter panel.It's a 94,no insurance company is going to do ANY repairs on a car that old.If its been well maintained it should be just as good as any similar model that age that has not been salvaged.To answer your original question you will have to do your best to fix the visable damage before it will pass inspection.Other than that it will have to be mechanicly sound otherwise.

cjay^
05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
The damage you see is insignificant, yes. But how do you know there was not a lot more, and it was just covered up?

Basically, a car will only be salvage if they deem it not worthwhile to repair it. Which means that the damage was severe, unless it is a really old car and not worth almost anything anyway.

Keep that in mind.

I dunno, you can pretty much see where the ball on a trailer hitch it the wheel well.

I would be very surprised if it needed anything at all besides maybe a new tire on that side... unless of course there was shit wrong with the vehicle before it got backed into.

There just really isn't anything I can do about the dent until I get it home, and if it failed because of a little dent that would really piss me off lol

gram
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Is that white stuff under the paint bondo? If it is maybe the insurance company wrote it off due to previous damage that they would now have to repair.

The damage looks minimal to me. I would assume an Integra (looks like an Integra from the photos) that old would only need around 2 grand to write it off anyways so you might have a great deal there.

A buddy of mine bought a salvage car very similar to yours (damage was very similar) and he didn't want to put $ in to it as it was a winter beater-left the damage as is and passed. You simply have to pass a safety inspection(meaning the car is safe to be on the road mechanically-they will look at the tires/windsheild/frame etc)