PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Towing a trailer.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Alright so this Thursday I am going to be driving up to Buffalo Lake to grab my friends trailer with two atvs on it. I will be driving my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I bought an adjustable height receiver for the hitch today, along with a 6000lb ball. My best guess it the total weight of the trailer and atvs is ~2500lbs.

I have never towed before, does anyone have any tips? I will need to leave plenty of extra distance between other vehicles, use a lower gear when accelerating, and be gentle with the controls, what else?

Rarasaurus
05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Wide turns and make sure your ball is the same size the trailer requires. Also what wiring system does the trailer use? 4 way or 7 way? There is also 5 and 6 way but they are not as common.

gretz
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I have never towed before, does anyone have any tips? I will need to leave plenty of extra distance between other vehicles, use a lower gear when accelerating, and be gentle with the controls, what else?

Always leave distance, if you are parking or have to turn around, try to plan for no backing up if possible (as you are a noob / you'll get stuck in a parking lot lol)

Use a lower gear when accelerating... as soon as the trailer is rolling, you'll barely be able to notice its "friction". From a stop, just baby it to get it moving - once you are rolling, you are laughing... Make sure you take wide enough corners as well lol...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Already checked the ball size, both my Jeep and the trailer use 4 Flat Connectors. I will need to get the trailer registration from the owner wont I?

Rarasaurus
05-04-2010, 03:01 PM
^Yea trailer registration and maybe a spare tire. On our old boat we had a spare we put in the car whenever we towed since it was not attached to the trailer. It is a smallish quad trailer so i doubt you will need mirror extensions. Sounds like you are ready to go.

Ripper
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Set your trailer brakes to engage slightly before your vehicle brakes. If the trailers starts to wag tap the brakes and it will straighten back out.

Supa Dexta
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah it would be good to have, so it doesnt seem stolen..

I wouldnt worry much about accelerating... Take your time, don't cut too sharp, and adjust your mirrors... Its not bad. i'm like 60 feet long with my trailer. :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Im pretty sure there is a spare already on the trailer.

Thaco
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
also if your jeep does not have a tow/haul mode, keep it in 3rd instead of drive, it may give you less gas mileage, but it will prevent your tranny from shifting all the time and overheating.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
The Jeep is actually a 5 speed manual, :) thanks for the help guys.

Tomaz
05-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Parking is a PITA. Take your time, you will get the hang of it.

Keep your following distance

Remeber to take wider turns, practice will help you judge how far

Always check your load, lights, brakes, and back-up systems (auto disconnect brakes, chains, cables, etc.)

and most importantly NEVER HOLD UP THE FAST LANE!!!!! SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!!!!!! lol

LEGiiT
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
*This is all assuming you have trailer braking system installed*
Be very careful, the towing capacity with a trailer brake system is 5000lbs on that car. It would be illegal to tow something that heavy without a trailer brake system.
(I think it's anything over 1500lbs, I know my rover needs trailer brakes for anything over 1700lbs.)

You'll have very limited stopping power, obviously.

You might say "Oh well, when am I gunna need to stop fast anyway? Never happened to me before..." But just watch ;) that'll be the day where you get into an accident, yet you're not at fault, but because you're illegally towing, you're insurance company will write her off and not reimburse you, plus you'll be at fault for the other perons damages...

Darell_n
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Make sure more than 50% of the weight is ahead of the trailer axle and absolutely use the safety chains on the hitch. (don't drag them)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
We are going to take the trailer roof off to make sure its under 2000lbs total. The ATVs are 1200lbs, the roof on the trailer is ridiculously heavy, should shed tons of weight. The ATVs are pulled so the rear tires are over the axle. Chains are a must, and they are already at the correct length.

kevie88
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Also, if your safety chains are too long, just twist them to shorten them so they don't drag on the ground. Make sure you cross them so the right chain is on the left hook and the left chain is on the right hook.

FraserB
05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Install a tranny cooler if the Jeep doesn't already have one.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Install a tranny cooler if the Jeep doesn't already have one.

Its a little late for that. I just changed the fluid a couple weeks ago though, along with the rear diff, oil change etc. Brakes have 500km on them. Im not to worried about my truck, I just want to tow as safely as possible.

bookem
05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't have any other advice to add, but much respect for having the brains to tow safely!