PDA

View Full Version : Car/people help

New Direction
05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Hello
I'm looking for a bit of help/advice. In a week or 2 I'll be shooting a friends late model dirt race car for a possible sponsorship package. I need to get some shots of the car and crew which is about 4 to 8 people (myself being one of them). The car is bright red and the shot needs to be in front of a Partsource building which is also red. The idea I have in my head is of underexposing the building a tiny bit and using some flashes to light the car/people. I'm wondering how to go about posing people and the car so I can get a good shot and don't get weird shadows. I don't have a lot of experience posing groups of people, especially around a car. Basically I'm throwing this out there to see if any one has any tips or ideas. I have 2 580EX flashes on stands to work with. Thanks in advance

AccentAE86
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
find a partsource where the front of the building and the parking lot will be in the shade at the same time. Then both the building and the car/people will be about the same exposure, so all you would need is a very small touch of fill from an on-camera flash. Super simple and will look good too. I think you might be overthinking it.

mboldt
05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
You're probably going to want to use more flashes than just the two or do some exposure layering for the car + people + front of the store. I don't know how intense you want this image to get. But you will probably want to shoot 2 exposures of the car w/ both flashes, then 1 exposure of half the crew w/ 2 flashes, then 1 exposure of the other half of the crew w/ 2 flashes, then ANOTHER exposure for the front of partsource, depending on time of day, possibly using flashes on the building as well.

New Direction
05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't really thought of using the flash on camera. That's something I've been trying to avoid lately for some reason. That's probably what I'll try though. I'm not sure about getting everything in shadow, I haven't been to the specific partsource they want to do it at. Looks like I should stop by and check it out though. And mboldt I do appreciate the response but that sounds way more intense then I want to get. These guys aren't looking for anything over the top and the processing sounds a little over my head. If I do get a chance after I get some "safe" shots I'll try some exposure layering though for sure. Thanks for the help guys!