PDA

View Full Version : Post your public transit and C-train vents here

Pages : [1] 2

copynpaste
05-04-2010, 05:07 PM
What are your public transit annoyances? Mine are...

1) Idiots who have huge backpacks like they're going camping and wack everyone with it.

2) Idiots who refuse to make room for others. Almost as bad as not giving your seat for older folks or ones with bags of groceries.

3) Idiots who stand right by the C-train doors and try to board before everyone gets off.

Ven
05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes #1 for sure. These clowns drive me nuts with the damn back packs. Oblivious idiots.

bspot
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
People who won't move to the fucking middle of the train car.

It's like they are afraid they won't make it off at their stop on time if they are all the way in the middle, so there is tons of empty space with everyone crowded around the doors. :banghead:

topmade
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
#2 for sure :banghead: :guns: Then when you ask to go by them, they give you the dirtiest look. It makes me smile when people just push these idiots out of the way to get by them.

And the entitlement some women think they deserve by pushing themselves in front to get on the bus first when there is a ton of people waiting. These are usually short stubby women for some strange reason.

D'z Nutz
05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Feet on seats.

Blownturbo
05-04-2010, 05:43 PM
people on their phones talking loudly, announcing what they're going to do or how last night was so dope etc etc etc

sheik_yerbouti
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Ass-clowns who don't move for senior citizens.

sputnik
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Pretty much anyone under the age of 18 who rides the train and isn't wearing a private/charter school uniform.

They tend to be violators of the most basic etiquette rules.

- Feet on the seats
- Loud annoying music
- "F_ck" being used as every second word
- Loud phone and personal conversations proving that they are idiots to others
- Retarded ringtones
- Chewing gum with mouth open on a crowded train
- Making out and/or groping with tween girlfriend on train
- Backpacks
- Taking up an entire seat
- Not getting up for old or disabled people
- General douchebaggery

Boat
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
People who jam on the train, before letting the other people off.

When its cramped to shit, people who say "Excuse Me Please I have to get off" When the train hasn't even stopped and theres no where to move.

I hate it how after huge delays the transit employees say "Please don't cram on, another train will be arriving shortly", when the next one is going to be just as fucking cramped.

Loud, usually drunk afflliction/tapout wearing douchebags who get on the train, who swear and try to fight eachother

I will definitely think of some more later.

rob the knob
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
men who ride outside of train car

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/05/04/calgary-youtube-riding-ctrain-transit-video.html

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/05/04/cgy-ctrain-youtube.jpg

FiveFreshFish
05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/05/04/calgary-youtube-riding-ctrain-transit-video.html

This guy's smart. He doesn't have to deal with all the other shit mentioned in this thread.

Dilmah
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Some of the other ladies on the train and their perfume, my god I just about died today on the ride downtown, then my boss thinks I'm wearing that crap.

Xtrema
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by bspot
People who won't move to the fucking middle of the train car.

Seats should be redesigned like this if you want people to move:

http://visualgluttony.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/70-train-interior.jpg

dino_martini
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

That is happening. I think every car will eventually be seating facing the isle.

diamondedge
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

This guy's smart. He doesn't have to deal with all the other shit mentioned in this thread.

The girl filming however, not too bright sounding.

+20 for feet on the seat.

FraserB
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
The solution for people not moving is that after you ask nicely, just start walking. They will get out of your way.

Also, people trying to squeeze on when its clear there is no room. The is a train in 5 minutes dumbass, dont try to push me out the door so your fat ass can get on.

rinny
05-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob

Hahaha, shit. Laura is my friends classmate- He was also there and was showing me pictures on his Blackberry of this dude. Guess he took out a bottle of liquor from his bag and stared at them while he took a swig.

Funny to see this go full circle into an article on CBC...

slinkie
05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
don't like it, buy a car

Joel_D
05-05-2010, 09:21 AM
People who smell, and i'm not just talking about regular body odour.

This isn't meant to be racist, as i'm asian. But I've noticed some middle aged asian fobs or east indian fobs sometimes have a distinct foul odor, it's hard to describe, but you'll know what I mean if you ever come into contact.

I'm thinking it comes from something they eating the night before that reeks from their body the next day. In several occasions I've had to get off train and either move to another section of the train or wait for the next one because the smell is so bad. :barf:

Pahnda
05-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Dumb hick or airhead girls who talk with long drawn out vowels like they're still thinking about the word they JUST finished saying while they're spouting the next word of garbage that hits their mouth.

People that don't seem to have control over their voice when they're on the phone... nobody cares how you've got an exam next week or your boss worries more about his dog than your lame ass.

Then the typical stuff, guys who smell like rotten garbage, feet on seat, people that stick gum on things, people who don't know what "excuse me" means, fatasses who sit RIGHT up against you, laying their leg and side-fat on you even though you're already squished against the window, etc...

thrasher22
05-05-2010, 11:00 AM
The crazy homeless people that always talk to me.
How little leg room there is on buses. People probably think I'm a douche taking up a whole seat, when in reality I often just can't sit straight in the seat because they were designed to seat 12 year olds.

copynpaste
05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by thrasher22
The crazy homeless people that always talk to me.
How little leg room there is on buses. People probably think I'm a douche taking up a whole seat, when in reality I often just can't sit straight in the seat because they were designed to seat 12 year olds.

+1 Seats are horrible and way too tight! Seriously anyone over 5'10 cant sit in them unless you enjoy having your knees jammed into the seat in front of you and the person sitting there doesnt mind having pressure into their lower back haha.

Arnold
05-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I cant stand public transit. So many annoyances.
Like how almost every bus either smells like shit or has someone/ mutiple people on it that smell like shit. Fucking loud ass giggling highschool/jr high school girls. People who wont move their backpack so someone else can sit. Bus drivers who dont open the back door for you to get off .. then get pissed when you yell back door please. Those are just some of mine.

Pahnda
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Arnold
I cant stand public transit. So many annoyances.
Like how almost every bus either smells like shit or has someone/ mutiple people on it that smell like shit. Fucking loud ass giggling highschool/jr high school girls. People who wont move their backpack so someone else can sit. Bus drivers who dont open the back door for you to get off .. then get pissed when you yell back door please. Those are just some of mine.

The busses do suck a LOT more than the train though. Even though the train annoys me, I still prefer taking it to driving to work. Most every annoyance in the train I have can be dealt with by moving to a different seat or listening to music. However, if you're stuck in traffic because a retard took a bus lane and is holding everyone else up or because the fact that people can't merge ANYWHERE properly, you've got to sit there and take it.

Plus the train gives me a good chance to do some studying/reading.

But every time I've taken the bus it's like all the annoying people take it to a whole new level. It's like you're riding with a bunch of Jetta-2.0 clones who like nothing more than to butcher the ONLY language they, most likely, know.

TimG
05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Mental giants who can't comprehend that the door of the train isn't closing because they're standing too close to it.

copynpaste
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda

The busses do suck a LOT more than the train though.

I disagree, the train IMO is much worse, thankfully I rarely ever take it. Buses (at least mine) since its an express shuttle are quiet and almost never packed like the trains always are during rush hour. Even when it is, its not ass cheek to ass cheek like trains are. No one smells like dog shit, no annoying kids, no bums. Also dont have to deal with crowds we I get off like I would on a train. The only bad thing is when the driver slams the breaks. And its easy to study/sleep on a bus, its not any different from a train. From everyone I know who trains it 5x a week, they all tell me its always way too packed.

Pahnda
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

...And its easy to study/sleep on a bus, its not any different from a train. From everyone I know who trains it 5x a week, they all tell me its always way too packed.

The study/read thing was just a benefit over driving, not really part the argument I was making for the train over the bus.

I'm a bit more lucky, if you can call it that. I live within walking distance of Dalhousie station and my work is right beside Southland station, so I always get a seat and it gives a good chunk of uninterrupted reading.

Arnold
05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
honestly I don't think the bus is worse then the train or vice versa they both suck equally. But being stuck in traffic driving also sucks on an equal level as public transit during peak hours just different annoyances for both. You just can't win :banghead:

FiveFreshFish
05-05-2010, 07:53 PM

In Japan, buses also have aisle-facing seats. You could fit more people even though more would have to stand. The Japanese know a thing or two about mass transit.

http://i41.tinypic.com/bhk5t1.jpg

l/l/rX
05-05-2010, 11:07 PM

man having the seats like this make things soo much easier. I don't take public transit often but when I do I find myself taking it during rush hour, and when you're standing in that aisle, and your train is coming up to your stop, and you start to make your way to the doors, its almost impossible to get 2 people squeezed through that aisle. its soooo TIGHT!

jefferson2
05-06-2010, 03:24 AM
All you ninnys complaining, have a look at this.

33qxTMA9XTA

Tomaz
05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I cant stand the smell. it has to be the worst thing to experience in public transit. Having the mixture of cologne, sweat, BO, curry, dead cat, dog shit, wheat field, dust, death, and various STI's is not very pleasing.

Then the constant touching of other people, squishing and petting your nervous body. Every time i was touched, I thought the smell of that person was rubbing off on me.

Being confronted. I hate people, especially in the morning. I don't want 2 crackheads, 5 natives, and 1 wiggar harassing me while I wait for the transfer. "Can I bum a smoke? Spare a buck? You looking at my GF white boy?" Fuck off.

Needless to say, I have stopped taking transit.

sputnik
05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Being confronted. I hate people, especially in the morning. I don't want 2 crackheads, 5 natives, and 1 wiggar harassing me while I wait for the transfer. "Can I bum a smoke? Spare a buck? You looking at my GF white boy?" Fuck off.

Where do you transfer buses? Brocket?

frinkprof
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Regarding seating arrangements:

The seating arrangement will be changing with the next order of 38 LRVs due to start arriving this spring, with the first units in this order being put into service in the fall.

It will look like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/SD160nextgenseat.jpg

This is a screen capture from this video:

ckD-YeDj_aA

All future orders should have this arrangement or something close to it. I also heard that the existing SD160 units (c. 2001 and after) would be retrofitted to have this arrangment. Not sure if that's officially happening or not.

Jay911
05-09-2010, 01:34 PM
As a person who hasn't used transit in ages, I'll bring in one from the other side of the equation:

AT-GRADE CENTER MEDIAN ALIGNMENT along 36 Street and other places where crossings interfere with traffic signals and vehicle flow. Crowchild doesn't count because there aren't any crossings. It shouldn't take 25 minutes to go from Memorial to McKnight on 36 Street.

AFAIK, the Bow line is intended to follow this same design. Those of you who live in Calgary need to lobby your alderman and others responsible for this idea and knock some sense into them.

frinkprof
05-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Jay911
AT-GRADE CENTER MEDIAN ALIGNMENTAFAIK, the Bow line is intended to follow this same design. Those of you who live in Calgary need to lobby your alderman and others responsible for this idea and knock some sense into them. The designed alignment in this section came about due to lobbying against a previous alignment choice immediately to the east.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Where to begin....I truly believe there is nobody else in this city who hates Calgary Transit more than I do. Here is my list in no particular order after more than 10 years of using transit, and then moving downtown for the SOLE reason of avoiding Calgary Transit.

1) Delays. 3-5 out of 5 days of the work week I would experience 20+min delays in the winter time. The worst delay I've had was over 4 hours, and pretty regularly 1hr +. Almost all delays were caused by equipment that couldn't seem to handle Calgary's climate, or people passing out on the trains due to almost no ventilation or extreme heat in the summer. It isn't much better in the summer time. I even had an Excel spreadsheet going at some point, tracking my delays.

2) No matter how packed the train is, the people on the platform who open the inside folding doors on the old trains. The train is fucking packed, wait for the next one. Opening the door isn't going to make room for you, it just makes the door stop and have to be reset, delaying the train further.

3) People who have zero personal hygiene. I can't count the amount of times I have been standing with my face basically in someone's armpit, or very close to them, on the verge of passing out.

4) Perfectly able bodied women who expect you to give them your seat, and just stare at you and clear their throat. Maybe people would offer it to them if they didn't try demand it. I have actually heard some of them say "well aren't you going to offer me your seat" and be legitimately pissed off.

5) People, usually Jr High and High School kids who loudly talk about stuff that for sure didn't happen, using "fuck" every second word, while on the phones or with their friends. Nobody wants to listen to that.

6) People who take up a second seat with their backpack or bag. They usually also are listening to music and looking out the window, so it takes more effort to get their attention to move their shit.

7) Morbidly obese people who take up 2 seats forcing more people to stand through regular 1+hr transit delays.

8) People who force themselves on even there is absolutely no room, making it even more uncomfortable for everyone else.

9) Able bodied people no giving up seats for old/disabled people.

10) Drunk natives. Self explanatory, and they often piss themselves, clearing out an entire car.

11) People listening to music so loud that I can't even believe they aren't deaf.

12) A heating system that is often not working in the winter

13) No A/C in the summer, although I think they are slowly implementing it now, after many years of people passing out and delaying more trains. I brought a thermometer with me one day and measured 46 degrees Celsius in the train, and we all know how good the ventilation is.

14) General lack of politeness by people who think they deserve a more comfortable ride than you.

15) People who try to push their way on a busy train while people are still getting off

16) People who have been riding the train for years and still cannot comprehend how the doors work, standing in front of the sensor or with their backpacks on the ground in the sensor.

17) The inverse relationship that exists between the cost of Transit passes/parking and the quality of service.

18) People who can't control their kids (or pets).

19) People who are so determined to stand near the door they don't move to the middle, prolonging the boarding of future passengers and doing their best to reduce the capacity of the train.

20) Bus drivers who just sail past your stop and beyond until you yell at them, because they are on their cell phones

21) Bus drivers who don't stop for people waiting at the station, lined up single file in a reasonable place to be picked up who missed the bus by less than 10 seconds. These are the same drivers that didn't have time to stop for someone 10 seconds late, but make you wait 5min at the bus stops in front of Macs stores so they can go buy a bag of chips or have their precious smoke while a group of people wait 30min for the next bus back at the station.

22) The wet, greasy, film that covers every handle/pole in every bus/train that seems to never be cleaned off.

23) Random people who strike up loud, annoying, conversation with you while you're trying to read, sleep, or listen to music.

24) The complete uselessness of the displays at the train stations telling you what the next train is. At best it's correct 50% of the time.

25) People sitting beside you who open up the full Calgary Herald or similar, with their hands/paper in your face.

26) The entire year it takes them to build a new platform, I don't think I've ever seen more than 2-3 guys working on one at any point in time.

And for all those "if you don't like it, drive" people, under the age of 16 you have no choice, and I'm unaware of any first world country/city with a transit system this atrocious. A lot of the problems/annoyances are correctable, or would have been corrected with a properly designed system with reliable equipment and properly used funding.

/rant

stokwa
05-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Agree 100%

swak
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I've heard that Calgary Transit is statistically bigger and better than most other canadian cities though, believe it or not...
Is this true?

Joel_D
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jefferson2
All you ninnys complaining, have a look at this.

33qxTMA9XTA

Getting off at the next stop would be bitch :nut: :nut: :nut:

kaput
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM

speedog
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

+1 Seats are horrible and way too tight! Seriously anyone over 5'10 cant sit in them unless you enjoy having your knees jammed into the seat in front of you and the person sitting there doesn't mind having pressure into their lower back haha. Wow, they must have changed out all the seats in the buses in the last 30 months since I stopped riding Calgary Transit's buses. I say that because i an 6 feet tall and of average build and never had a problem fitting into a transit bus seat and I rode a variety of buses from 1979 up until 2007. Must have been a huge make work project for the Transit people to retrofit or replace all those seats.

swak
05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Calgary Transit is engineering for the growing asian population in Calgary

speedog
05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by swak
Calgary Transit is engineering for the growing asian population in Calgary In the last 2.5 years then.

snoop101
05-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I got two main issues that bug me soo much.

1st off I dont understand how there is Zero security on the Ctrains, yet they said that changing the parking from free to paid is to pay for "extra" security. I guess if there was Zero security to start with then "extra" means zero more.

2nd off and I dont know if this is a Calgary transit (which I assume it is) is that the Ctrain lines are filthy dirty. There is a ton of garbage everywhere along the tracks. You dont believe me then travel from downtown to somerset and look out the window. The only place that doesent or limited amount is the small area of fish creek park that the train goes through. This to me makes me upset every time I look outside taking the train. Granted I come from BC where they have garbage collectors out daily. In victoria they ride ATV's up and down the center grass area along the highway.

TimG
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

2nd off and I dont know if this is a Calgary transit (which I assume it is) is that the Ctrain lines are filthy dirty. There is a ton of garbage everywhere along the tracks. You dont believe me then travel from downtown to somerset and look out the window. The only place that doesent or limited amount is the small area of fish creek park that the train goes through. This to me makes me upset every time I look outside taking the train. Granted I come from BC where they have garbage collectors out daily. In victoria they ride ATV's up and down the center grass area along the highway.

this.

Also, have you noticed how long it's taken them to build that new wall/fence around canyon meadows? i think it's been over a year now.

snoop101
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by TimG

this.

Also, have you noticed how long it's taken them to build that new wall/fence around canyon meadows? i think it's been over a year now.

Also at southland. They built the bridge (that no one uses it seems) but then they just got up and left. Umm how about some grass or atleast take away some of the left over garbage.

Tomaz
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Where do you transfer buses? Brocket?

City Hall

snoop101
05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I like to add something that is actually kinda funny.

So on the schedule at the stations it states that up to 9am the trains run every 5 min (rush hour) the thing is that after 8 am at somerset they already start stop half the trains. So it turns into a 10-15 min (more like 15 min) wait. I actually emailed the Calgary transit and asked when they are changing the schedule to make it go to 8 am which is what is actually happening. They emailed me back saying I need to let them know the exact time and place that it happens. I gave up because I know they could care less and what am I supposed to say... 5 days a week between 8am-9am. Really I dont mind if its every 15 min, but the point is theres a schedule and they should stay with it.

motoki88
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
The idiot who stole a seat from my visibly pregnant (7 months) wife when the C-train was packed.

Mitsu3000gt
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
I like to add something that is actually kinda funny.

So on the schedule at the stations it states that up to 9am the trains run every 5 min (rush hour) the thing is that after 8 am at somerset they already start stop half the trains. So it turns into a 10-15 min (more like 15 min) wait. I actually emailed the Calgary transit and asked when they are changing the schedule to make it go to 8 am which is what is actually happening. They emailed me back saying I need to let them know the exact time and place that it happens. I gave up because I know they could care less and what am I supposed to say... 5 days a week between 8am-9am. Really I dont mind if its every 15 min, but the point is theres a schedule and they should stay with it.

I agree, Calgary Transit has no schedule, for either their buses or trains. The timing is so incredibly sporadic that they might as well not even post schedules at all. The best you can do is just go and wait where you know something will eventually show up. I remember on my old bus route, about 1/3 of the days the bus just didn't bother to come at all. When I finally arrived at Anderson station, the second stage of the morning clown show begun. I always rode between 8 and 9am as well and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times the trains were 5min apart. Almost always it was 15min+, and you can double that if even a single snow flake is on the ground or the temperatures drop below zero.

Feruk
05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Two opposite pet peeves:
1) People who cough and don't cover their mouth
2) Haven't seen this one for about a year, but people who wear those medical face masks. Almost exclusively old Asian ladies. Like come on... you're not gonna get Bird Flu here! I bet most of them don't even know those masks aren't good for much more then 30 minutes.

G
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
A lot of places in Asia (Japan), people wear face masks because they themselves have a cold and do not want to spread it.

Originally posted by Feruk
Two opposite pet peeves:
1) People who cough and don't cover their mouth
2) Haven't seen this one for about a year, but people who wear those medical face masks. Almost exclusively old Asian ladies. Like come on... you're not gonna get Bird Flu here! I bet most of them don't even know those masks aren't good for much more then 30 minutes.

Integra10
05-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I've heard that Calgary Transit is statistically bigger and better than most other canadian cities though, believe it or not...
Is this true?

The transit in Montreal is ALOT better. The metro is underground so you can get across the city pretty damn fast. They also have malls and food courts and such underground while you wait for the metro. They have actual security and you pay a cashier before you get on so you do not have transit cops hassling you.

frinkprof
05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Is this true? Well it really depends on what you mean by "bigger and better." Here's a few metrics though.

The numbers for the LRT system are more readily available, at least in comparison to other cities. As a preface though, direct apples-to-apples comparisons between rail systems is difficult because systems have much different configurations, vehicle technology, etc. Really, the only other light rail system in Canada is Edmonton's. Toronto and Montreal have heavy rail subway systems, and Vancouver operates ALRT, which is kind of a middle ground between the two, often called a "mini metro." There's a wide variation between systems in American cities too.

Current ridership (measured in boardings per weekday) and length:

Calgary Light Rail - 266 100 48.8 km
Edmonton Light Rail - 74 400 20.5 km
Vancouver Skytrain ALRT - 344 800 68.7 km
Toronto Subway - 942 600 68.3 km
Montreal Metro (Subway) - 987 000 71.0 km

(Source (http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2009_q4_ridership_APTA.pdf))

So, comparing the 2 LRT systems in Canada, plus the somewhat-comparable ALRT in Vancouver, Vancouver has the highest absolute ridership, but Calgary has the highest ridership per km.

-----------------

Here's an older chart comparing capital expenditures with ridership of light rail systems in North America.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/capitalcostcomparison.jpg
(Source (http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/Calgary_CTrain_Effective_Capital_Utilization.pdf))

A little dated of course, and Calgary's ridership numbers have grown about 70%, but in this instance, it really blows several other systems out of the water. That has been one of the biggest feathers in the cap of the LRT system in Calgary. Bang for buck.

----------------

Here's another interesting chart. Ridership per metro population. The numbers are from 2007, and the cities included are those that have LRT as their highest order of transit (i.e., no Montreal, Toronto, New York since they have subways). Sorry for the bluriness, but that is how it appears in the source document (http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/planning/pdf/tod/lions_park/visioning_workshop_presentation.pdf) I got it from.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/ridershipvspopulation.jpg

Finally, looking at North American light rail systems, wikipedia has this ranking of systems, by ridership (I just pulled the top 15)

-----------------

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/wikipedialrt.jpg
(Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail_in_North_America))

This list is a bit tenuous though. Vancouver's ALRT system is not included, whereas Monterrey's system is fairly similar to Vancouver's. Toronto's numbers are for its streetcar system, which is kind of a different kettle of fish.

snoop101
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Two things to keep in mind about the stats. In Vancouver a lot of the people who work downtown live downtown. In Calgary barely anyone lives downtown so their forced to take the Ctrain. We also pay the most for parking in Canada and 2nd highest in North America.

What I would like to see is a riders poll to see if people are happy with the ctrain. I bet 90% or more have issues with Transit, but suk it up just because are parking is to high, bike paths suck ass (compared to other cities) and our traffic sucks (most cities have this though)

colinxx235
05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by frinkprof

Current ridership (measured in boardings per weekday) and length:

Calgary Light Rail - 266 100 48.8 km
Edmonton Light Rail - 74 400 20.5 km
Vancouver Skytrain ALRT - 344 800 68.7 km
Toronto Subway - 942 600 68.3 km
Montreal Metro (Subway) - 987 000 71.0 km

So, comparing the 2 LRT systems in Canada, plus the somewhat-comparable ALRT in Vancouver, Vancouver has the highest absolute ridership, but Calgary has the highest ridership per km.

How does calgary have the highest ridership per km... I think your math is way off

These are the numbers according to the information you posted
Cgy - 5453/km
Edm - 3629/km
Van - 5018/km
Tor - 13801/km
Mont - 13901/km

frinkprof
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

How does calgary have the highest ridership per km... I think your math is way off

These are the numbers according to the information you posted
Cgy - 5453/km
Edm - 3629/km
Van - 5018/km
Tor - 13801/km
Mont - 13901/km See the first part of the sentence you quoted:

So, comparing the 2 LRT systems in Canada [Calgary and and Edmonton], plus the somewhat-comparable ALRT in Vancouver...

I didn't include the Toronto and Montreal systems in the ridership-per-km comparison because, well, they are vastly different systems than Calgary's LRT. I just showed their numbers for interest's sake since the original post I replied to asked about systems in Canada. Using the ridership-per-km metric with other LRT systems in the USA, Calgary is at or near the top of the list too. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to compare a mostly at-grade LRT system in Calgary with heavy rail grade-separated (mostly subway) systems in New York, Chicago, Washington, Toronto, London, Tokyo, Paris, Moscow, etc. Hell, strictly speaking, comparing Vancouver's and Calgary's systems isn't apples-to-apples because of the differences in how they operate, the technologies employed and the associated capacities.

frinkprof
05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Two things to keep in mind about the stats. In Vancouver a lot of the people who work downtown live downtown. In Calgary barely anyone lives downtown so their forced to take the Ctrain. We also pay the most for parking in Canada and 2nd highest in North America.Well sure. Land use and transportation are intrinsically linked. A lot of people commute from Vancouver to Surrey, Burnaby, and Richmond and vice versa just due to how the region is laid out and built up. Vancouver also has significantly higher cycling and walking modal share for commuting.

What I would like to see is a riders poll to see if people are happy with the ctrain. I bet 90% or more have issues with Transit, but suk it up just because are parking is to high, bike paths suck ass (compared to other cities) and our traffic sucks (most cities have this though) Well, for what it's worth, here's Calgary Transit's Customer Satisfaction Survey Final Reports for 2008 and 2009:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/2008_Customer_Satisfaction_Survey_Final_Report.pdf

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/2009_Customer_Satisfaction_Survey_Final_Report.pdf

They are done by an independent company. Might not be exactly what you're looking for though.

bspot
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I can't wait until the train is busy enough to get 5 minute service levels all day every day. Maybe when I'm a senior ;)

Mitsu3000gt
05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I can't wait until the train is busy enough to get 5 minute service levels all day every day. Maybe when I'm a senior ;)

Its not even close to that now, during rush hour, so I think you're dreaming :)

kaput
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM

no_joke
05-11-2010, 03:50 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/ridershipvspopulation.jpg

Lovin' frink's SSP-quality posts in the sea of rants and run-on sentences on Beyond.

The thing that I hate the most are the buses that don't follow the posted schedule. I was relying on the 57, which ran at 20-min headways at rush hour and consistently seeing it leave my stop 5 to 8 min early causing me to miss my connections and simply wasting my time. I also hate all the newspapers scattered everywhere on buses and trains.

FiveFreshFish
05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
people who wear those medical face masks.

It's more to act as air filter for particulate pollutants.

snoop101
05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Well sure. Land use and transportation are intrinsically linked. A lot of people commute from Vancouver to Surrey, Burnaby, and Richmond and vice versa just due to how the region is laid out and built up. Vancouver also has significantly higher cycling and walking modal share for commuting.

Well, for what it's worth, here's Calgary Transit's Customer Satisfaction Survey Final Reports for 2008 and 2009:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/2008_Customer_Satisfaction_Survey_Final_Report.pdf

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/2009_Customer_Satisfaction_Survey_Final_Report.pdf

They are done by an independent company. Might not be exactly what you're looking for though.

Indeed, approximately seven out of ten respondents (72%) gave Calgary Transit a rating of 'excellent' or 'good' with a higher than usual rating of 'excellent.' These increases may be influenced by higher regard among customers for issues such as service frequency, being on time, not being overcrowded, convenience of connections and transfers and cleanliness.

I have no idea where they get these people from to survey. They fail daily on each one of the things mentioned.

Ok I understand now how they got these "awesome" results. The things that actually matters to people got bad results, but they put in filler questions that get high ratings to offset the shittyness.. But even then I still cant see how people who answered these question ever took the transit or they were told what to say.

ReasonOne
05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I can't help but laugh about transit complaints compared to what happens in other countries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9ZTy5geRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHdZxO4_tQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-nkUnAcZtA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7iCEtQx8qg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k41RLegIPs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rB-AGUsqoE

snoop101
05-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ReasonOne
I can't help but laugh about transit complaints compared to what happens in other countries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9ZTy5geRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHdZxO4_tQ

These are the best. Love the bus driver who is txting. lol

TimG
05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
But even then I still cant see how people who answered these question ever took the transit or they were told what to say.

when you give only 4 options:

a) crap
b) good
c) excellent
d) omfgwtfbbq!!#!#!24111!!1one!

most people are going to choose b or c

frinkprof
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM

I have no idea where they get these people from to survey. They fail daily on each one of the things mentioned.

Ok I understand now how they got these "awesome" results. The things that actually matters to people got bad results, but they put in filler questions that get high ratings to offset the shittyness.. But even then I still cant see how people who answered these question ever took the transit or they were told what to say.

when you give only 4 options:

a) crap
b) good
c) excellent
d) omfgwtfbbq!!#!#!24111!!1one!

most people are going to choose b or c
It's not like its fudged results perpetrated by some shady fly-by-night polling company set up by Calgary Transit. Like any reputable polling report, they mention their methodology on the first page of the report and include their survey instrument (the questions they ask) as an appendix (starts on pg 65 for the 2009 survey). They phone 500 random phone numbers in Calgary, ask them if they use transit at least once a week. If no, they ask a certain set of questions, if yes, they ask another set of questions.

The responses to the the questions asking for an evaluation of certain aspects have responses of Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Poor, Very Poor, Refused. On the response-to-statements questions, the responses are Strongly Agree, Somewhat Agree, Somewhat Disagree, Strongly Disagree, Refused, Not Applicable. The questions to these things are usually created so as to avoid leading the respondant and use neutral language.

The results are then reported with a variance on a 95% confidence interval (i.e. +/- X%, 19 times out of 20).

Altogether, looks like any other (reputable) poll I've seen or participated in.

It's all there in the report for everyone to read. It is what it is. Honestly, I don't get the conspiracy angle you guys are taking.

Jonel
05-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah sorry about #1. How oblivious of me to bring the books with me that I need to complete my homework.

Mitsu3000gt
05-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Jonel
Yeah sorry about #1. How oblivious of me to bring the books with me that I need to complete my homework.

I think your missing the point. It's the people who wear them on their backs standing up, rather than putting it between their feet, and those who take up an entire seat with it rather than putting it on their lap.

TimG
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM

It's all there in the report for everyone to read. It is what it is. Honestly, I don't get the conspiracy angle you guys are taking.

first off, any poll results should always be taken with a grain of salt. statistics can be manipulated to show what people want them to show.

and i don't think it's a conspiracy. there are a significant number of people on this board who take transit and experience all of the crap every day. To read survey results published by Calgary Transit which essentially says "we're awesome and there's nothing wrong" is hard to swallow.

what i'd like to know is how many of those 500 people (which, incidentally, is a statistically small/insignificant sample size considering the daily ridership) take transit. How many of those that do take it during rush hour, etc.

flipstah
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Our transit system is 'meh' but I've seen more efficient systems in Asia.

Also, I was disheartened when they wouldn't let my folding bike in the bus even though it takes up less space than a stroller, or the C-train even though it wasn't full and I was at the end.

I realize that bicycles are not allowed in buses and C-trains around specific times but they need to modify the rules to keep up with the technology.

I was trying to be all 'green, help out the environment... and I'm indifferent with driving and public transit. Now, I'm driving so that if I'm late, it's my fault.

If inconsistencies keep occurring as in buses arriving early/late, then something needs to change.

Mitsu3000gt
05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I found their survey results to be curious as well, as EVERY SINGLE person I know who uses it thinks Calgary transit is absolutely abysmal. That combined with everyone on here having similar feelings is a fairly large sample size having a 100% dissatisfaction rate.

frinkprof
05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
and i don't think it's a conspiracy. there are a significant number of people on this board who take transit and experience all of the crap every day.A group of forumers on a message board geared toward a select group of people responding to a thread entitled "Post your public transit and C-Train vents here" is not exactly a random sample. Not to say there's anything wrong with the thread or people's responses here, because there's some valid concerns that have been raised. It is what it is though, a place to post your gripes, as it says plainly in the title.

To read survey results published by Calgary Transit which essentially says "we're awesome and there's nothing wrong" is hard to swallow.It is not published by Calgary Transit, but by the independent company that conducted the survey, "HarGroup Management Consultants, Inc." Companies, agencies and organizations hire these types of independent survey companies all the time so as to remove bias and the obvious problems with conducting your own survey and reporting the findings (ethics, optics, etc.).

what i'd like to know is how many of those 500 people (which, incidentally, is a statistically small/insignificant sample size considering the daily ridership) take transit. How many of those that do take it during rush hour, etc. Like I said, it's all in the report for you to read if you want to. Section 4 of the 2009 report shows that 44% of the potential respondants take transit at least once a week with the mean number of times per week being 7.2. 1148 calls were made, 648 identified as non-users, 500 (or 44%) were regular transit riders (at least once a week).

Again, if you take a glance at just the first few pages of the 2009 report, it gives the statistical significance of the sample size. "A sample size of 500 yields a margin of error of ±4.4% within a 95% confidence interval, for the Calgary Transit regular customer population (as defined for the survey)." (pg. 2, or pg. 10 of the PDF)

snoop101
05-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Emailed Calgary Transit this morning. Lets see what they say.

I wish to voice my concern about the schedule posted at Somerset Ctrain Station. It states that the Ctrain runs on average every 5 min up to 9 am. I ride the Ctrain daily from Monday to Friday in between 8am-9am. In the lat few months now I have been paying attention to the departure times and I have yet been on a train that leaves on time. On average there is at least a 10 min wait and some days up to 15 min wait. Is there plans for the future to have the schedule changed to be more accurate?

mr2mike
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Yup, pretty sweet service lastnight. Standing in the rain, waiting 4 trains before I could get on one that wasn't jam packed.

Also when it's super cold out, they have "mechanical issues". Well, I get my car started, to drive to the train station. You're telling me Calgary Transit can't forsee these issues? I mean it happens every winter.

Joel_D
05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Also, I was disheartened when they wouldn't let my folding bike in the bus even though it takes up less space than a stroller, or the C-train even though it wasn't full and I was at the end.

I realize that bicycles are not allowed in buses and C-trains around specific times but they need to modify the rules to keep up with the technology.

Calgary Buses/Transit needs to catch up with other cities and start installing bike Racks in front of their buses / c-train. This would open up more options for peoples commute.

I ride my Bike from Tuscany to DT to avoid taking the c-train, but it would have been a nice option to throw the bike on a c-train rack and avoid the snow/ heavy rain on the commute home yesterday.

sputnik
05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Joel_D

Calgary Buses/Transit needs to catch up with other cities and start installing bike Racks in front of their buses / c-train. This would open up more options for peoples commute.

I ride my Bike from Tuscany to DT to avoid taking the c-train, but it would have been a nice option to throw the bike on a c-train rack and avoid the snow/ heavy rain on the commute home yesterday.

Depending on the time, you can take your bike on the C-Train with you.

flipstah
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Weekdays: before 6:30 a.m., 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., and after 6 p.m.

No restrictions on weekends and holidays.

Joel_D
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Yes, technically I could have sat around and waited until after 6pm to leave the office. :rolleyes:

flipstah
05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Joel_D

Yes, technically I could have sat around and waited until after 6pm to leave the office. :rolleyes:

That's what I do... :(

Well, here's what I wrote to the Transit people:

To whom it may concern:

I am xxx and I am a frequent rider of Calgary Transit. I am proud to do my part and support public transportation as I believe it's a viable mode of transportation here in Calgary and as a current UofC student, a cheaper alternative to get to school from the NE.

Even though I support alternative transportation, I am disheartened by Calgary Transit's current ruling on folding bicycles. I, like many others, use the bicycle as a second part of commuting around the city. I realize that bicycles are not allowed in the train during rush hour but even when these bicycles do not take up much space, I was still not allowed to enter the premises.

If the folding bicycle is covered and does not disturb other passengers and still go at the ends of each train, am I still allowed to bring my bicycle in the train?

If not, is it possible to get a revision of the rules in order to accommodate the current, existing technology? I firmly believe that folding bicycles are a great way to reduce an individual's carbon footprint and it would be a great way to promote green commuting.

As a fellow Calgarian, it is quite easier for me to just drive and pay the extra fee for parking in order to avoid being kicked out of the train as I only do it because I want to, not because I have to. It's just that I believe that public transportation should be more bike-friendly as in other metropolitan cities or European cities where the bicycle is a primary source of transportation.

Hopefully, someone is able to help me with my cause and can assist me in my issue.

If it's possible, I would like a response at the matter at hand and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

xxx

Here's their reply:

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting Calgary Transit regarding folding bikes. I checked the bylaw and I also checked with our control centre for clarification on this issue. At this time, all cycles – unicycles, bicycles, tricycles, folding bikes, etc. – are all considered to be covered under the bicycle section of the bylaw. This means that at this time, all types of cycles are not permitted on the train during rush hour. I will submit an objection to this policy on your behalf to the appropriate department, and they will investigate to see if any changes can be made

So maybe changes can be made? Either that or she was just being nice.

Can't believe unicycles can't either. They're so TINY!

:rofl:

Disoblige
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I know this thread is old, but since Calgary Transit's "improvements" over the years, I can't help but notice how shitty it is still.

The "new" estimated times for the arrival of trains are occasionally wrong. For example, you'd be on the platform and it will say "McKnight", "Somerset", "McKnight", etc.
Then when you see the train coming, it is actually a Somerset train and the sign changes to the correct train after you already know it's wrong. Wtf..

Also, wtf is this shit?
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1764/transitheat.jpg

They're outdoor overhead heaters for cold days, but they don't do anything. It's positioned so high that you have to stand in one specific spot and look at the thing just to get minimal heat in -2°C weather. Get a small wind and there is no heat at all since it's already blown away before reaching your face.

Was there even remotely any engineering or thinking that went into this..
:facepalm:

eblend
02-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

That's what I do... :(

Well, here's what I wrote to the Transit people:

Here's their reply:

So maybe changes can be made? Either that or she was just being nice.

Can't believe unicycles can't either. They're so TINY!

:rofl:

Didn't they announce last year that you could use a folding bikes on c-train? I remember i sold my folding bike just last year and advertised it as ctrain friendly, and I know there was something that made me do that.

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/article/878781--folding-bikes-to-be-allowed-on-transit

Disoblige
02-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Yep! I just bumped up the thread since there are some decent changes made since June 2010.

Maybe I shouldn't have!

flipstah
02-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Definitely true and very happy!

... Too bad I already graduated. :rofl:

Hallowed_point
02-24-2012, 10:31 PM
(1) People who wear the c-train passes around their neck on a lanyard like a badge of honor.

(2) Plague bearers coughing and blowing their nose in an unhygenic manner. I used to get sick all the time taking transit to work everyday, now that I drive I very rarely if ever get sick :)

(3) bus driver's pretending not to see you at a stop and just driving by because they are running behind schedule or something :guns:

Lots more, and I LOL'd at the backpackers comments thank god I don't take transit anymore!

schocker
02-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Well IMO transit has been better lately. Rarely a delay and they havn't hit someone in a while. The boards with times are nice though so you can see all the morons cram into one train yet you know there will be another in 1 minute that is empty :facepalm:
I am waiting for those new electronics passes though

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2012, 02:03 PM
I could write a novel on how much I hate Calgary Transit for what it's done to me over the years, so I moved downtown, but I still sometimes ride the train 2 stops if I'm running late within the core. I STILL have delays, and I ride 2 stops from 8th st to 3rd st going East most mornings. It's a joke.

The arrival times are a full on joke, what a waste of money. It's almost ALWAYS wrong, and half the time the type of train (McKnight/Somerset) is wrong. What's the point of having a system like that when it's so inaccurate? It doesn't matter to me much because I can walk the rest of the way if I need too, but this would be so annoying for other users.

Also as someone else posted earlier, those heating systems are a full on joke. They are so directional that only 1 person can benefit from the heat unless you are pretty good buddies with the person under there haha. It's a nice idea, but absolutely zero thought was put into their execution.

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
(1) People who wear the c-train passes around their neck on a lanyard like a badge of honor.

(2) Plague bearers coughing and blowing their nose in an unhygenic manner. I used to get sick all the time taking transit to work everyday, now that I drive I very rarely if ever get sick :)

(3) bus driver's pretending not to see you at a stop and just driving by because they are running behind schedule or something :guns:

1) LOL, yup.

2) I stopped using transit to commute to work and what do you know, I haven't been sick in 1.5 years.

3) This is one of the things that bothered me the most. Buses would drive by my stop, roughly 50% of the time when I used to commute from Woodbine (Bus --> Anderson then train --> downtown). Either that or they flat out wouldn't show up (I know this because of the massive crowd at the stop). Made me late for work so many times. Not even exaggerating, the amount of times buses just drove by me and others at the stops or didn't come at all were ridiculous. Why do I pay for a bus pass again??

lasimmon
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I dunno I ride the train to an from work downtown everyday and although the times are sometimes off. I don't think the direction of train is ever wrong.

People on here just like to complain about everything.

swak
02-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I dunno I ride the train to an from work downtown everyday and although the times are sometimes off. I don't think the direction of train is ever wrong.

you just don't complain about enough.

... haven't been on a bus in a longgg time, and am pretty easy going when it comes to the times i take the train.

BMW Power
02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
LOL, today I saw a guy who had his ipod touch strapped to his face with an elastic band (similar to the pic below), and he was pumping his music at full blast while on the train. It just baffles me how some people can be such a nuisance yet pretend to be aloof.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EbxTRIdh4P0/ThndP_WcRSI/AAAAAAAAAJc/QuTl9NpWZcg/s1600/1083968055_662335f6cd_o.jpg

Personally, I dont have a problem with the LRT service, I think it is fairly efficient. I think the major problem lies with some passengers and etiquette (the lack thereof). CT needs to find a way to remind people about common courtesy's when traveling on the train/bus.

Maxt
02-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

It's more to act as air filter for particulate pollutants.
Kinda of, its actually because of lots of Japanese suffering from Hay fever, and the masks give some relief from pollen... I don't know whats up with the vegetation over there, but I don't get hay fever in Canada, but in Japan, my nose runs like a MOFO.

Maxt
02-25-2012, 08:21 PM
My biggest pet peeve is this, if you are going to bother putting up clocks, first, make them actually functional,really , what use is blank fucking 1 handed clock at a train station.. And pick a design that doesn't break every 3 weeks.. Really , what a total waste of money...

Civic_Drift
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
^ I think digital clocks are better, some people don't know how to read analog clocks.

Disoblige
02-25-2012, 10:14 PM

They are wrong more often than you think. I take the train everyday, and since I take it on 8 St. SW, it could either be a McKnight train from 10 St. SW, or a Somerset train coming from the NW.

Because the trains are on land, traffic, people letting doors stay open too long, train operator walking too slow to other end of train, etc. are all possible factors that affect the times -and- order of trains. So I would even say 3/5 times I take the train in the morning, they're wrong on that stop. Not really surprising when you think about it. You don't see this happening in subways obviously.

eblend
02-25-2012, 10:22 PM

You just got lucky, their system is horrible, downtown especially, haven't really paid attention to it outside of downtown.

This is what happens downtown all the time:

1. Get to the station and see the following:
McKnight - 2 min
Somerset - 4 min
McKnight - 7 min

2. Two minutes later, the board shows:
McKnight - 0 min
Somerset - 2 min
McKnight - 5 min

3. Two more minutes later
McKnight - 0 min (has been flashing 0 for last 2 min)
Somerset - 0 min
McKnight - 3 min

4. 1 minute later
Somerset train arrives

Like wtf. I understand that timing downtown can be hard, but how the hell does it get which train is next wrong. Nevermind the times when a McKnight train arrives and the announcement says "Somerset". I always look at the name on the front of the train as I can't trust any of the systems in place.

Disoblige
02-25-2012, 10:33 PM
The problem is that the timing is so bad at the sections where I marked the Red X's. One train might not be ready to leave, so they let the other train go. So it fucks up the whole arrival system.

And the system isn't designed so it can update itself very quickly. By the time it updates, everyone on the platform already knows what train is coming.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4770/transitsucks.jpg

lasimmon
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I get on at 6th everyday after work and never had those problems.