PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Honda Accord factory remote starter help

kegno
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
My mother bought a brand new 2009 Honda Accord this summer and against my wishes had a factory remote starter installed. Sometimes when attempting to remotely start the vehicle it will attempt too but the engine just turns over and wont start. This is one of many problems with this remote but not my main issue, last night i attempted to unlock the car with the remote starter but to my dismay rather then the single beep from the remote and the car unlocking the remote made a series of beeps then all the buttons lit up individually. The car will not unlock, lock or remote start; every time i click the button i hear the series of beeps and no result. This wouldn't be as bad if the remote started did not over ride the car's base security and lock system so that when i manually open the door the alarm goes off. After about ten minutes of frantically hitting buttons and cursing the alarm shuts off, but when i turn the car on the alarm goes on again. I phoned honda this morning after fighting with the car for a half an hour and the main shop tech had no idea what was wrong. i need to take the car in but i cant get inside with out the alarm going off. Does anyone know what the issue is or has had the same issue; i am in serious need of help on this one.

Thanks a lot.

silvercivicsir
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks like a DSE remote.. is there a valet switch under the dash ??

kegno
05-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah there is, i just found it. Any idea what is causing the remote to go haywire like this?

Splkia
05-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Could be a number of things but,I think it can be summed up in 2 words
Shit Install!
Sounds like it could be the bypass module, incorrect wiring, malifunctioning main unit who knows! It would be interesting to see what was done though.
Take it back tell the lead tech you want it fixed ,and working properly or they can remove it at thier expense, and refund your money. Thing is it's not even factory lol it would be no different than me installing a autostart or compustar in the same vehicle except mine would work hahaha!

kegno
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Fair enough haha well i assumed it was factory because honda installed it from honda, but after looking a bit further into it i see what you mean. I will just have to turn the alarm off and take it into the shop. I am very unimpressed with Honda on this car, my family has had a few other Honda's that ran great no problems but this car has had so many problems besides this for a brand new car.

Splkia
05-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Sorry to hear that, hopefully everything works out for you.

Swank
05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I had/have similar problems with the remote start/alarm combo on my '07 Civic that was installed by the dealership when I got my car new. The remote start problem you described sounds to be the same symptoms I was up against, and it turned out to be the car battery. Once they finally diagnosed this they replaced it with another factory battery which got me through one winter but then is acted up again. I then put in an Energizer from Wal-Mart for I think about $90 and it starts way better and the remote start has never hesitated since then.

As far as not being able to get into your car now, did they provide you with a 2nd fob/remote? My main 2-way remote is starting to fail on me now. It can't seem to 'talk' to the car, but it can receive from it no problem, so unlocking/disarming can take several attempts. My spare 1-way remote works perfectly fine. I'm going to make an appt to have this checked out, hopefully they can reporgram the main remote to work properly, or maybe replace it, I just hope they don't play the 'wear and tear' card and have me pay for it.

Hopefully this helps you out.

kegno
05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks a lot for all the help to those who replied, yeah swank it was a faulty connection when they installed it. I took it in and had the shop tech take a peak and it has been working perfectly since so i believe the problem is solved.
Thanks again for the help.

SpeedIllusion
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I definitely know how you feel, I have a remote installed when I bought my '08 Accord. It was working fine for about a year and a half and now all I hear is the engine struggling to churn when I try to remote start. They said there wasn't enough juice in my factory battery and replaced it with a bigger one and I'm having the same problem again. I'm taking it in on Wednesday and going to bitch them out if it's faulty wiring!

SpeedIllusion
05-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Kegno where did you buy your Accord from?

Swank
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Glad you got it fixed, hopefully it lasts!

The dealership was able to determine that my remote is screwed, and so am I as it only has a 1 year warranty on it. They offered me a new one for $170 but I'm going to see if I can repair this one first. Apparently it's not uncommon for the connection to the antenna in the remote to have a bad solder joint and break loose.