PDA

View Full Version : A&W prices are wack

copynpaste
05-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I went there yesterday for the first time in a long time, did they jack up the prices? Mozza burger + 5pc chubby chicken = $12 :thumbsdow. Crazy, wasnt even filling...for $12 might as well get takeout burger from the local pub.

Someone ordered the sirloin burger and it was like $7+ burger itself!
:D

bituerbo
05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I gave up fast food, but they just had a promo on for $3 uncle (sirloin) burgers. Usually they will have either 2 for $x on whatever burger they are 'featuring' for the month. I would usually just do that, skip the fries/soft drink.

TomcoPDR
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Maybe government is starting to tax fatty foods

Pahnda
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Fast food is only that now, fast. It's marginally cheaper than a decent pub/restaurant, so that's not much of a factor when you consider the quality of even a shithole (especially since they renewed the menus last month) like Kilkenny is higher than any fast food place.

masoncgy
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Man, I get like a half dozen A&W coupon sheets from the mailman every couple of weeks, so I don't even know what their regular prices are like!

Can't beat 2 Mozza Burgers (with extra pickles & onions) for $5... as long as it's once in awhile.

I do agree, fast food prices have gone up across the board in the last year or so...

Sasuke_Kensai
05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
A&W have always been a bit higher priced... even when other places had combos for $5 or 6, an A&W one would run you $7-8...

Just use the coupons as above, and you're back to previous prices. But the coupons creep up slowly with every issue too. First it was 2 for 1 burgers. Then 2 for $5. Then 2 for $6... haha

All these fast food places dish out so many coupons in the mail, you don't ever need to pay 'regular' price unless you eat it every day.

alloroc
05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
I went there yesterday for the first time in a long time, did they jack up the prices? Mozza burger + 5pc chubby chicken = $12 :thumbsdow. Crazy, wasnt even filling...for $12 might as well get takeout burger from the local pub.

Someone ordered the sirloin burger and it was like $7+ burger itself!
:D

Wait ... you had a mozza burger and 5 pieces of chicken and it wasn't even filling?

Holy crap.

n1zm0
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I thought they changed their prices secretly over the course of about 5 years, or maybe i was too young to remember as i didnt go much, i was a wendys person. I only like the fries at A&W really

i guess the only break you get is as said above about the 2 whatever burgers for $X.00

JBCs arent what they used to be either, on that note, the other day my brother and i went to a wendys drive thru and he got a #4 (big bacon classic), then the lady promptly asks me 'how many patties for that #4', i was dumbfounded to see you can now go 2, 3 or 4 patties on a BBC, what has the world come to :barf:

teknical
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
That premium uncle burger is damn good :drool:

masoncgy
05-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i was dumbfounded to see you can now go 2, 3 or 4 patties on a BBC, what has the world come to :barf:
This...?

http://www.tvgasm.com/shows/image/janiced/season2/fat_lady_eating_cake-1.jpg

bignerd
05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Well I think at one point it was two could dine for 6.99?? It was 7.99 for sure at one time and now the coupon is two can dine for 9.99...

copynpaste
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
I thought they changed their prices secretly over the course of about 5 years, or maybe i was too young to remember as i didnt go much, i was a wendys person. I only like the fries at A&W really

i guess the only break you get is as said above about the 2 whatever burgers for $X.00

JBCs arent what they used to be either, on that note, the other day my brother and i went to a wendys drive thru and he got a #4 (big bacon classic), then the lady promptly asks me 'how many patties for that #4', i was dumbfounded to see you can now go 2, 3 or 4 patties on a BBC, what has the world come to :barf:

4 patties? Gross.

Anyways I ate there yesterday cause i was hungry and didnt have much time and it was nearby. Didnt think it would cost 12 fuckin dollars :thumbsdow

I almost never eat fast food burger joints anyways, so chances of me carrying their coupons is slim to none.

copynpaste
05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Wait ... you had a mozza burger and 5 pieces of chicken and it wasn't even filling?

Holy crap.

The chicken was decent sized but the burger was the size of a pop tart - even a 5yr old could down that tiny thing.

Graham_A_M
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I gave up fast food, but they just had a promo on for $3 uncle (sirloin) burgers. Usually they will have either 2 for $x on whatever burger they are 'featuring' for the month. I would usually just do that, skip the fries/soft drink.
Same here, I usually get the two papa burgers for $6 deal. :dunno:

But those two sirlion burgers for $8 deal was incredible. Those burgers were HUGE!! SO good too. Too bad they knew that too, and so the promo only lasted a few weeks. :thumbsdow

Phenix
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
maybe their customers are all going away cause that stuff is horrible for you. so less customers means they have to jack up the prices to keep operating

Graham_A_M
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
^ Then how the fuck is McDicks so popular?
Everybody knows that garbage is death for you.:facepalm:

StreetRacerX
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Skip the fries? Come on man the A & W fries are some of the better fast food chain fries, nice and crispy on the outside with nice soft tasty greasy potato goodness on the inside. I wouldn't mind a cheddar bacon uncle burger right now. Actually what I would prefer more than that is a Bacon and blue(cheese) burger from Wendy's but I guess that didn't go so well since they are no longer available.

msommers
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Copynpaste with yet another thread complaining about the price of everything. Honestly man, just move to Thailand already.

psycoticclown
05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
DQ prices are worse imo.

5hift
05-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I think its a trend with fast food in general.

I remember the mozza burger used to be huge, and recently when I got it, as the OP mentioned, it was fucking tiny.

Even McDonald's is getting expensive when you consider what you get. I hit it up while shopping at Walmart the other day and a quarter pounder combo was $8. Not going to break the bank but hurts when I remember my local pub used to have a burger and beer promo for $10 not too long ago.

FiveFreshFish
05-05-2010, 07:09 PM
The onion rings are awesome.

TYMSMNY
05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
DQ prices are worse imo.
uuh, yea. especially that 2 for 4, 3 for etc. 2 burgers is ~$3 on their regular menu but $4 on their "special menu". messed up!!

DJ_NAV
05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
DQ is the worst place to buy burgers by far. I live close to one in Calgary and lived close to one in Lethbridge. Friggin meal would be like $9+ and it would be nothing special. The worst part was when it took over 15 minutes to serve the order... like wtf?? I could have just cooked it myself in 15 minutes!!

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Still can't beat the unfathomable grease of a 1/2 pound Flame thrower burger.
Only thing keeping me away is the heart burn.

psycoticclown
05-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
DQ is the worst place to buy burgers by far. I live close to one in Calgary and lived close to one in Lethbridge. Friggin meal would be like $9+ and it would be nothing special. The worst part was when it took over 15 minutes to serve the order... like wtf?? I could have just cooked it myself in 15 minutes!!

Haha, me too, live close to the Dal station one and the one on Columbia in Lethbridge. Flamethrower meals are like $9.50 now, fucking ridiculous. One of the better burgers though.

Burger King is the best imo, their daily specials are well worth it. Wednesday Whoppers for $1.89 or something :drool:

CKY
05-06-2010, 02:44 AM
I think the sad part is they microwave their burgers. At least the one in Dalhousie Station does.

Swank
05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
DQ prices are worse imo.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. A&W is still a close 2nd and Arby's is right behind them.

I prefer places that have the $1.49 junior burgers, 4 of those and a cup of water and I'm pretty full. A burger combo with fries and a drink usually cost more and aren't even half as filling.

gretz
05-06-2010, 09:19 AM
lol @ 4 patties being gross... We went to Wendys once and bought my buddy a 12 patty cheeseburger with cheese between each patty.... It cost $27 with a drink and fries, couldn't be air-lifted - eaten directly off the 3 wrappers it took to cover it, he put back approx. 4 patties, and met half of the "special folk" that flock to the Okotoks Wendys area... A big burger is a real hit i guess...

Mar
05-06-2010, 09:35 AM
If I'm spending over $10 on takeout, there are only 3 things I will accept:
- Vietnamese food :drool:
- Vietnamese sub
- shwarma

I don't understand why someone would take a greasy burger over a shwarma when they're the same price. It's a no brainer.

masoncgy
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
^ You can't get Vietnamese in the drive thru... ;)

Euro838
05-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I went to McDicks the other day and was choked that what used to be a $4 fish burger combo is now $7!!!!

I always found A&W to be way too salty with all their foods! Tried their uncle sirloin burgers and would need like water all afternoon!

Apparently, their pricing models work as people are still going in droves and their profits are higher!

cdnsir
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I used to work there when I was a kid. The reason why everything is salty is because they cover their meat with a mixture MSG and salt at the end! It's the same mix that they add on their onion rings as well. If you guys think you like their food, you're really just liking their seasoning salt...

sexualbanana
05-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I used to work there when I was a kid. The reason why everything is salty is because they cover their meat with a mixture MSG and salt at the end! It's the same mix that they add on their onion rings as well. If you guys think you like their food, you're really just liking their seasoning salt...

You bastards had me hankering for A&W yesterday when I left work so I got the Supreme Sirloin burger-thing. That was the first thing I remembered about A&W, too. It's pretty heavily seasoned. For $5 it's nothing special. But it's not a bad burger.

Disoblige
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
A&W is always expensive, ever since I was a little kid, at least compared to other fast food joints. I eat it sometimes, but I eat it almost every day when they have coupons lol.. Their breakfast sandwiches are fucking amazing because I love them served on hamburger buns (Bacon & Egger FTW).

Other than that, their onion rings are my favorite. Also, I enjoy the seasoning they use on their burgers. Definitely unique from all the other joints as well. The only thing nasty about A&W is their chicken. I hate it.. Bleck..

TurboMedic
05-07-2010, 02:37 AM
If its fast food, and it isn't often, its Burger King.....The steakhouse burgers are fantastic....but BK is the worst FF joint for you.....I usually order sandwich only anyhow, but they are terrible

dsr7723
05-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Ya that's bullshit big time we hit an A&W drive thru yesterday, I ordered 2 sausage and eggers, and my helper had a sausage and egger combo, came to like 11$ or something, then when I checked before pulling away from the drive thru, there was only 2 sausage and eggers in there, I told her I ordered 3 in total, and she said she only charged me for 2.... Gay.

nonlinear
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
I always found A&W to be way too salty with all their foods! Tried their uncle sirloin burgers and would need like water all afternoon!

absolutely this. i can't stand to eat at a&w, especially when they charge $8 for a burger, fries, and warm drink. in terms of value, the only thing more ridiculous is DQ (elbow drive location, anyhow).

sputnik
05-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Anyone here old school enough to remember when you could get a Teen Burger "platter" and it came in a basket with onion rings and coleslaw?

Those were the days.

FiveFreshFish
05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I remember you used to get A&W root beer in a glass gallon jug.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/images/products/A128-08C.jpg

Isaiah
05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
A&W makes me sick. Every time I've had it I've been sick afterwards so I don't go there anymore.

sevewone
05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
all fast food is expensive. if im on the road and I want something Filling AND cheap, I think the only thing is going with a huge ghetto sub from like Safeway, or one of the cheapest subs from Subway with 80 pounds of veggies, then roll by Walmart and grab a 50cent can of pop. you're looking at like 7.00$ in total

msommers
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Seek out an Opa! and get the platter. Fucking delic and filling!

Lilac Wine
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
That price is not bad considering you got five pieces of chicken. Each item is not going to only cost $2.

clem24
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

absolutely this. i can't stand to eat at a&w, especially when they charge $8 for a burger, fries, and warm drink. in terms of value, the only thing more ridiculous is DQ (elbow drive location, anyhow).

I agree with the salt. A&W just piles it onto their burgers. But DQ. Really?? The last time I went to a DQ for a burger, I think it was the Lakeview one. Fucking sick.. And I mean that in a bad way. Microwaved burgers FTL.

403Gemini
05-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^ You can't get Vietnamese in the drive thru... ;)

True, but if you have a vietnamese place in mind, put the ph# in your cell, know which # on the menu you want and call ahead, by the time you drive down there to get it, it will be ready.

Integra10
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

True, but if you have a vietnamese place in mind, put the ph# in your cell, know which # on the menu you want and call ahead, by the time you drive down there to get it, it will be ready.

:werd:

There was a place in the same strip mall as pho xuan that had beef satay + pop for $4.00. You can not beat that deal with any fast food.

Edit: The name is La Cay.

nonlinear
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
+1 for La Cay. Only thing is that it's pretty sketchy around there, especially with all of the crackheads who hang around outside of the neighboring pub.

xolemonteaox
05-16-2010, 02:22 AM
A&W coupons are back!
Haha, 2 breakfast sandwiches for $3.00 FTW.

nonlinear
05-16-2010, 08:49 AM
where does one get said coupons?

Tik-Tok
05-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
where does one get said coupons?

I got them in the mail.

speedog
05-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I remember you used to get A&W root beer in a glass gallon jug.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/images/products/A128-08C.jpg Being that old, I am amazed you can even remember any more. And yeah, I remember these old jugs too.

vps
06-03-2010, 10:17 PM
yeah I remember paying nearly $25 for two combos with the fries upgraded to poutines. But I find the breakfast (the eggs/bacon/toast) very reasonable, especially if you have that coupon from the mail which makes it 2 for $7, the quality/taste is pretty good; considering it's fastfood.

Disoblige
06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
^^ Well, the way they make the eggs, toast, and bacon is the same way that we do haha..

Jeremiah
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
I think i get the coupons from A&W once a week and use two of them a week. 2 sausage and eggers for $3, i normally don't get it with the bun to reduce the carbs. Cheap breakfast

vps
06-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ Well, the way they make the eggs, toast, and bacon is the same way that we do haha..

yeah but the convenience is what matters the most to me, no mess to clean up afterwards

01RedDX
06-03-2010, 11:55 PM

dsr7723
06-04-2010, 12:21 AM
There's a lot of greasy diners in and around industrial parks that are quite good, Henry's Cafe corner of 30th & 19th NE is pretty good, 2 eggs, pancakes, bacon and sausage, coffee, for like 6$.

basillio
06-04-2010, 10:14 AM
why does it seem like fatty foods are cheaper than healthy foods and yet they encourage people to live healthy when they know not everyone can afford it.

Khalil.e
06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
As I read this, I am munching away on a $5 large (foot long?) Quiznos toasted sub..
Great value imo.
Add a drink and soup for $2.79!
Very filling.

sputnik
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by basillio
why does it seem like fatty foods are cheaper than healthy foods and yet they encourage people to live healthy when they know not everyone can afford it.

It does not cost a lot to eat healthy. People who say that eating healthy is more expensive are the people that are too lazy to cook for themselves.

Vegetables, dairy, breads and meat are dirt cheap compared to the packaged and pre-prepared frozen meals.

Jeremiah
06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

It does not cost a lot to eat healthy. People who say that eating healthy is more expensive are the people that are too lazy to cook for themselves.

Vegetables, dairy, breads and meat are dirt cheap compared to the packaged and pre-prepared frozen meals.

I think that he was talking about fast "healthy" food.

Sure if you're not ever in a rush and have the time to make food and prepare your meals for the next day it is probably going to be cheaper..

masoncgy
06-04-2010, 04:10 PM
So... there's a $2 Mozza coupon this month... coupled with the fact there is an A&W right down the road... yeah, this is seriously the work of the devil! :devil:

BTW... I tried their Chicken Grill Deluxe today... that's a tasty sandwich!

riceeater
06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
the large poutine is like $6 with taxes........ripoff, but i still love those fawken things

nonlinear
06-14-2010, 01:17 PM
i think Dairy Queen has the most expensive food, though. and their food totally sucks.

nj2Type-S
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
^i agree. dairy queen is good for desserts but for hot food, they're terrible! i can't believe they microwave their burgers! lol!

Disoblige
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah Dairy Queen hot food is so bad.. Onion rings ugh.. A&W at least has standards. It might be arguably the best burger chain in Canada since it has some things unique and perhaps better than McDonalds.

nonlinear
06-14-2010, 03:00 PM
the strange thing is that I used to work at DQ in high school, and the food was nowhere near as bad as it is now. i'm not sure if the food distributor is different between the US and Canada, or if everything's really just gone downhill, but their food is terrible here in YYC!!!

beyond_ban
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
^^ Werd, there is a reason most DQ's have 99c brugers, and occasionally 59c burgs.

:barf:

On a side note, an Arctic Float might be the greatest thing ever.

nonlinear
06-14-2010, 03:31 PM
is an arctic float this (we called them misty floats in the us)?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1357/imag0179.jpg

beyond_ban
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
^^ Yeeee, that is exactly what i bought on Sunday to help me cope with the hot hot sun. One amateur mistake that can be made is if they put in too much ice cream. When i order one i make sure to specify that i want a solid 50/50 ratio, rather then the 80/20 (ice cream/arctic rush) that they generally put in.