PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, Buying Car In BC

dj_rice
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Scenario is I will be going out to BC in June 11 to take a look at a 240sx and picking it up that day if its all good.

I have called BC and AB registrys, and from the info I can either get a in transit permit from either Alberta or BC. But in order to get the in transit permits I will need proof of insurance. And in order to insurance I would need a safety inspection papers?

And proper steps are temporary insurance + in transmit permit, then arrive in Edmonton and do an OOP then get it registered and fully insured?

Does insurance companies offer like 7 day insurance for me to bring the vehicle back?

Cos
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Nevermind I think I am wrong.

bjstare
05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't think you can get in transit insurance with ICBC (they call it a binder) unless you have a BC drivers license. They wouldn't do it for me last time I tried with my AB license. Its way easier dealing with the ppl at AB registries anyways, ICBC is atrocious. Just call up your insurance broker in AB and ask what they can hook you up with, then grab a transit permit from the registry... they're cheap, like 30-50 bucks I think.

dj_rice
05-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I don't think you can get in transit insurance with ICBC (they call it a binder) unless you have a BC drivers license. They wouldn't do it for me last time I tried with my AB license. Its way easier dealing with the ppl at AB registries anyways, ICBC is atrocious. Just call up your insurance broker in AB and ask what they can hook you up with, then grab a transit permit from the registry... they're cheap, like 30-50 bucks I think.

I keep getting different info everytime I call ICBC, agent I spoke to just said the binder includes car insurance to get out of BC and acts like your temporary license plate. Then he said, the in transmit permit acts like the same thing also so no point in getting separate insurance? Blah I'll just get everything in Alberta first.

On a side note, whats insurance companies policy on getting insurance?Do I need to get a safety inspection on the car in BC first before I get temporary insurance?Someone told me you can get insurance on it before but you have 7 days to do the inspection?

sevewone
05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
check this thread out, theres some good info

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298306

dj_rice
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Thank you

5G_celica
05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
don't even bother with ICBC, jsut call your insurance company, get full insurance on the car, and get a transportation registry to bring it back.

if the car is from a dealership, make sure you state it's going to alberta so you don't have to pay the PST.

also if you have a valid Licence plate I would bring that with the transporting temp registry. just cause the damn temp registry is place up at the windshield. and will draw attention from any cop that sees you. ( I got pulled over a few time cause of this. got sick of explaining to them that alberta transport registry only has one tag up front)

Darkz
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
I was looking at doing this before and asked my buddy about it (he's an insurance broker in Edmonton).

He was able to add insurance coverage for me without an inspection or anything, and from what I recall he told me that this was a fairly standard practice for most insurers and that I would just need to get the vehicle registered in Alberta ASAP. I believe only the out-of-province inspection is required and that is something registry asks for, not insurance.

I'm actually pretty curious about this as I'm looking to import a vehicle from the states, so maybe I'll call him and if I get a definitive answer on this I'll post what I find out here.

dj_rice
05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Noob question here

But I will be heading to registry tomorrow to ask this question anyway so hoping someone on here knows or works there can answer.

Since I will not buy the car until I physically go out to BC and test drive and look at this vehicle, is it even possible for Alberta Registry to give me an in transit permit based off a bill of sale I fax them? Logical answer would be no since even if they did accept, there would be no way of me getting the permit in hand?

Zewind
05-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Without insurance they cannot give you a transit permit. Also I dont know if they can give a transit permit on a vehicle not yet registered in AB.

Talk to your insurance broker and see if they can give you a binder/temp pink cards to go pick it up.

Remember that bad boy still needs a out of Prov inspection to reg in AB

Kloubek
05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
You can insure any vehicle. I could insure yours if I had the information for it.

You put insurance on it, and you buy it. Drive it back home, and then take it to an inspection facility. I am not sure about the 7-day thing, but you can always request the seller keep the date portion empty so you have a bit of wiggle room.

When my RX7 came to Alberta, it sat for MONTHS in storage until the roads were good enough to drive it to an inspection facility. The paperwork date was left blank, and I had no problems at all.

dj_rice
05-06-2010, 10:37 PM
And I assume using my current plate on my car now is not do-able?Cause from another forum, they said to ask a friend to fill out bill of sale and that u sold it to him, then take plate to BC, take car home, rip up the bill of sale for current car and then yea?

Kloubek
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, that would work under the circumstances of:

1) You sold your car
2) This car is to replace the one you sold

I am not sure if the rule still applies if you buy out of province.

dj_rice
05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
:banghead: :banghead: So even if I bought the car, I have no way of getting it back unless I trailer it back :banghead:

Blah, will have to call insurance company tomorrow and get all this found out, thanks guys

Zewind
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
When you are changing plates you have 14 days to do so.

What you carry with you is the bill of sale, the old registration and insurance.

If you are missing just one of those and get pull over... lets just not go there.

dj_rice
05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Zewind
When you are changing plates you have 14 days to do so.

What you carry with you is the bill of sale, the old registration and insurance.

If you are missing just one of those and get pull over... lets just not go there.

Okay, so using my current plate is not an option :banghead: If I knew someone in BC I'd have them pay for the car and then sell to me so I can get the bill of sale faxed to me but this is proving difficult.

Shlade
05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
You have a Month to get inspection papers in no?

Thats what my insurance company told me... Check it out, Call insurance after and get them to fax that over to the nearest faxing machine there so you have temporary insurance right asway.

Cos
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
problem is in BC you have to return your plates when you cancel insurance so I am not sure the seller will be too thrilled to give you his plates.

I think ICBC charges $100 for plates if they are not returned.

Just an FYI

masoncgy
05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
On a side note, whats insurance companies policy on getting insurance?Do I need to get a safety inspection on the car in BC first before I get temporary insurance?Someone told me you can get insurance on it before but you have 7 days to do the inspection?

It depends on your insurance company. I purchased a vehicle (BC registered) in BC in 2006 and my insurance company issued a pink slip without any issue at all, no questions asked.

I just slapped my Alberta plate on it and brought it back to Calgary and did the OOP about a week later to get the registration transferred over.

This was on a 1995 Beretta Z26 too... so it was an 11 year old car... but my insurance company didn't say a word... just issued the policy & pink slip right away.

Screw ICBC too... that sucker needs to be disbanded and the whole system needs to be privatized.

g-m
05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Okay, so using my current plate is not an option :banghead: If I knew someone in BC I'd have them pay for the car and then sell to me so I can get the bill of sale faxed to me but this is proving difficult. why not? It was a piece of cake for me. I called my insurance (meloche monnex), insured the car and brought an extra license plate since its good for 14 days. Easy as pie

They insured it even though I didnĀ“t own it when I got my insurance for it.