PDA

View Full Version : Garage permit question..

eblend
05-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Hello,

Got a question about a garage permit. I am looking at the brochure and it says I have to have the site plan (easy as I have a recent real property report) as well as a structure plan. The plans have to be drawn to scale it says. How does a Joe Smith draw plans to scale? I heard some people say that all you need is a site plan. I scanned my real property report and drew in the rough dimensions of my garage pad...but unline the rest of the drawing, I am more then sure that my pad is not to scale of 1:200 that they want.

Anyone done one recently, any suggestions?

ianmcc
05-06-2010, 05:50 AM
When we did our basement development (not a garage but the concept is the same)I went to Walmart and picked up a cheap home design CD called DesignWare myHouse for like $5. It is pretty good as you can show dimensions and a scaled drawing and so on. After a day of playing with it I printed off and submitted my scaled drawings to the city for my permits (yes I did multiple permits!).

eblend
05-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I actually went digging after I posted this and found a program called "SmartDraw" which is pretty much dedicated to bluprints, it is a 7 day trial, but I will get everything done in that time. Really neat how I inserted a scanned image of my real property report, set the ratio correctly, and then used a ruler function to measure against existing measurements on the image, and it all matched up.

Thanks

Davetronz
05-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Hahaha don't worry too much about that. I forgot to do the scale drawing, and as I was standing at the window with the permit guy, he had me sketch one out quickly using his ruler. He helped out a bit, but it took less than a minute. Just had to sketch the dimensions and placement on a copy of my real-property report and note where the windows and doors would be.

sillysod
05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I use autocad so I did mine up on cad,

But really if you go and photocopy your real property report, get a ruler and draw out your garage on your report it will be good enough.

The guy next to me had some terrible sketches done free hand and they were cool with it.

I had to make a change to my offset and the guy behind the counter just grabbed a penci, scratched out my lines and drew in a few other ones quickly and then stamped and photocopied it.

Don't waste your time making it all pretty nobody gives a shit.