PDA

View Full Version : Limit on amout of cars one can sell.

calgarys_finest
05-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I have gone through alot of cars lately and we were wondering if there was a limit to how many cars someone can sell in one year? A friend of mine from the states said he has a limit to 6 in his state.

Kloubek
05-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I believe it is 4 in Canada. (At least, that's what I've gone by).

Any cars I've purchased for resale generally go inside a month, so I don't bother to register them. That way, I believe there isn't much of a record you owned it. (Keep your bill of sales though, just in case)

davidI
05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
You should be claiming your capital gains and eventually the CRA may look at you as a business if you're moving that number of vehicles.

benz_890
05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I believe it is 4 in Canada. (At least, that's what I've gone by).

Any cars I've purchased for resale generally go inside a month, so I don't bother to register them. That way, I believe there isn't much of a record you owned it. (Keep your bill of sales though, just in case)

Doesn't matter if you register them or not Every time you sell a car and the buyer goes to register it, the registry clerk will photo copy the bill of sale and send it up to the government. That is how they keep track of it all. I know a guy who got busted that way.

top_speed
05-06-2010, 09:46 PM
^ you can write anvbody's name on the bill of sale.

Kloubek
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Is that what they go by benz? Seems to me it would make more sense to go by registration, as that information is actually inputted into the computer anyway.

Oh well - I have never gone outside my 4-car limit in a year. (If that is actually what the limit is). But I figured I might one day, so this information is good to know for me too...

davidI
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
^ you can write anvbody's name on the bill of sale.

If I was a buyer, I'm pretty sure I'd be concerned if the seller was using a fake name on their bill of sale. I always write down their drivers license or passport number when I do a transaction.