OverEasy Breakfast Ltd.
824 Edmonton Trail Northeast
CALGARY, AB T2E 3J6
(403) 278-3447
**7am-3pm daily, closed Tuesdays.**

Food rating 5/5
http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1490678?p=0
http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/1490678?p=1
Really. What part of that menu doesn't sound good? I've tried a couple things.
I've basically tried everything in the Sweet Dreams are Made of These (first link). Superb.
I like their crepes a lot. I thought I liked Cora's, but these were so much better. Cora's go hard as you're eating them. These were soft the whole time. Plus who can say no to McKay's ice cream on top.
The potatoes are awesome too. They're like seasoned fries kinda. And smoked salmon on an omelette was good.

Ambience 5/5
I really like how the place is set up... There's booths, tables, and then one long bar down the middle. However, since seating is limited, I've almost always had to line up. And I'm almost always trying to read the roof (you'll see it).

Service 4.5/5
I've had better service on weekends than the one weekday I went. There's like 5-6 servers running around on the weekend, whereas on the weekday I went it seemed understaffed. But I've always gotten everything I asked for.

Overall 4.8/5
Cons:
Lineups: I lined up for 10 minutes outside in the cold once (worth it), cuz their front area is very small.
Parking: Bitch. There's a pay lot (still a 2 store walk), or you have to park 1+ block away for free street parking.

livinlarge89
05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Sounds like this place is worth a try for sure, especially after looking at those prices :thumbsup:

swak
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Been there once, definitely a rad place.

For the most part regarding breakfasts, i judge service by how constant they are at topping up my coffee... They did a great job at it (with good coffee too!).

Really good prices, good ambiance, and overall awesome.
Would recommend.

jwslam
05-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by swak
For the most part regarding breakfasts, i judge service by how constant they are at topping up my coffee... They did a great job at it (with good coffee too!).

IIRC they advertised it as "organic coffee".
I had it once. I think it was a little watered down for my taste.
But yea, the smoothies are awesome :thumbsup:

Unknown303
05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I love this place. Huge fan! I never want to have breakfast anywhere else.

jwslam
05-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Yea. I really can't believe nobody else has done a review yet.

We probably just wanna hoard all the goodness to ourselves lol.

Unknown303
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah and now you've gone and ruined that.

Although you said you've always had big lines and I've never had them yet..

jwslam
05-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Last saturday they estimated a half hour. Then people in front of me started leaving and it was like 15minutes.

I guess it's cuz I go at peak time (noon).

98type_r
05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

IIRC they advertised it as "organic coffee".
I had it once. I think it was a little watered down for my taste.
But yea, the smoothies are awesome :thumbsup:

I've been there a few times now and i have to agree the coffee is a bit weak or watered down. The food is good and ambiance is great.
Don't go there in odd numbers though, they'll just add a seat to a table for 2 if you're a party of three, they even sat a foursome behind us first at a table for four. It was a bit irritating, but I guess they have to maximize seating :dunno:

BlkWdwPrelude
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
+1:clap:

ExtraSlow
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I miss the Country Kitchen that used to be at the same location. Anyone know if this is the same people?

max_boost
05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Have to give this a try. Only 1 block from home. :drool:

deee_wreck
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Have to give this a try. Only 1 block from home. :drool:

Let me know when! im down for some breakkie

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Went today, and really liked it. Very small, so it's kind of noisy but otherwise the food is good. Service is prompt and friendly not bad at all. :thumbsup:

npham
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
Went today, and really liked it. Very small, so it's kind of noisy but otherwise the food is good. Service is prompt and friendly not bad at all. :thumbsup:

Who wants a quiet breakfast joint. I don't want to lull myself back to sleep!

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
When I can't hear the person I'm talking to then I consider it to be a bit loud.

nonlinear
05-11-2010, 12:20 PM
haven't tried it yet, but I do have to say that's it's nice to see more reasonable prices in calgary. for too long we've had to suffer with paying 50% more for our meals than pretty much ANYWHERE in north america.

still silly to wait in a 30 minute line for breakfast, though. for those in the south, check out 99th avenue cafe.

JordanEG6
05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Sounds good. I gotta try this place some time. Thanks for the review.

Criticull
05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by swak

i judge service by how constant they are at topping up my coffee...

Mr Pink?

taemo
11-08-2010, 09:25 AM
went there on sunday morning at 8am, once it gets 8:45 the place starts to get busy.. there where like 10 people waiting in line and driving back at 2:30pm there were still people lining up. but I can understand why.

it's one of those places where you want to go for breakfast without having to cook and enjoy it.
we were seated on the high tables and could pretty much hear the conversation of the 2 ladies sitting beside us but not any difference than going to a bistro.

I ordered the Uova alla toscana and my gf had the Spanish sausage omelette.
Service is really fast, not even 10 minutes and the food was in front of us. Had to try the bacon and sausage.. nothing special (Christy's bacon is much cripsier). but everything else was great.. from the egg to the vegetables to the toast to the fruit.

My gf and I are off wednesday.. planning to go back there again.

bleu
11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Best breakfast place! I love going there on the weekends. =)

DairyLane is also a good spot to try out as well.

JordanEG6
11-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Been there a couple times, here's my take on it:

Food: 10/10
Probably one of the best and most filling breakfasts I've ever had. Everything on the menu is worth a try and sounds very good. Everything either comes with a side of potatoes or fresh fruit. Some items come with both.

Their fall menu had just come out. I tried the Soul in a Bowl. It's basically a breakfast Poutine with seasoned potato wedges, chopped bacon and ham, 2 poached eggs, cheese curds, doused in hollandaise sauce, packed in a nice little Chinese take-out box. It's crack. I loved it and would get it again.

On another occasion, I also tried their Classic Eggs Benedict with seasoned potato wedges, fruit and an additional side of blueberry chicken sausage. Which was surprisingly very, very good.

All in all, the experience in terms of taste, freshness, portions and the need to come back and try everything else on the menu, was all on point on both times I went.

Ambiance: 8/10
I like the small, brunch cafe look to the place. If it isn't plain white, the tiles on the wall are vibrant in a nice array of colors, which I really liked. It's a nice place to be in the morning.

My only gripe is space. Because Over Easy is very small in terms of square footage, the seating is limited and kinda cramped.

If weren't lucky to land a private table for your party, you were sat in a long table with everyone else that is placed in the middle of the restaurant. I was at this table the first time, but I totally didn't mind.

Also, because it's small, the wait times could take up to half an hour.

Service 9/10
Service was top notch. I was there on a Sunday both times I went, so it was a little busy. They come by every so often to re-fill my coffee and water.

They forgot little things like more cream and napkins, which I had to ask a few times before I got them, but that was totally fine as it was pretty chaotic in there.

Also, while you wait for a table, the servers offer you coffee in glass mugs as you wait outside for a seat, which I thought was nice. And held us off until we sat down.

Price 10/10
For what you are getting, the prices are very reasonable. I found their breakfast to be so good, I'd pay a little more for it. Not only was it good, but for me, it was quite filling. Especially with a side of fresh fruit. The pricing was pretty much on par with what you'd pay for a meal at Denny's, except the food was 10x better.

Overall 9/10
I love this place. The ambiance, the service, the free coffee while you wait, and the food. I'd like to go back more often to try everything else out. If you're a breakfast lover, the menu can get overwhelming. Which is good, it gives you a reason for a re-visit. If they opened an hour earlier, I'd stop by a few times a week before work.

Like the OP said, wait times can be a problem if you don't show up early and parking definitely sucks. You'd have to park somewhere in the near by neighborhoods for street parking. Other than that, the place is great.

bleu
11-20-2010, 11:24 PM
omg..the brekkie poutine sounds amazing.

I need to try that. Yum!

clem24
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Holy shit the breakfast poutine sounds awesome.

takkyu
12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
This place and dairylane are my top 2 breakfast joints so far.