PDA

View Full Version : Car crashed into ATB bank!!!

red RX-7
12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
I just heard on the news that there was a car that crashed in the ATB bank in the noth, the one beside Silver City. I didnt hear very much buy it sounded like a car was driving down country hill going west and it some how smashed into the bank.

I'm going to take pictures right now.

i'll post them in a few hours.

stay tuned!!!

ryder_23
12-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Ya, just saw it on the news, so far i heard one person who workd in the bank is dead. Driver ok. News said they dont understand how this happened, said more details later

rc2002
12-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Obviously the guy wasn't going parking lot speed. It sucks that a person working in the bank got killed because of his stupidity. I hope they lock him in jail for the rest of his life.

ryder_23
12-10-2003, 02:07 PM
^
the person drove off the main road, down a hill, and into side of bank

red RX-7
12-10-2003, 02:11 PM
yah he wasnt driving in the parking lot.

he must have drove off country hills, flew through the air and then smasked into the bank.

ecstasy_civic
12-10-2003, 02:30 PM
holy fuck thats what those sirens were,
I live like right there lol.

Maybe ill go over and look:)

roopi
12-10-2003, 02:45 PM
get some pictures!!! :D

Kona9
12-10-2003, 02:47 PM
1 dead four critically injured. that really sucks. this close to christmas. Damn!! my Condolences to the families.

hjr
12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
what happened?????? yikes

/////AMG
12-10-2003, 02:54 PM
shitty someone died?

Kona9
12-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by hjr
what happened?????? yikes
it probably looks somewhat similar to your sig!! unfortunately. It ahppened at 11 am so unless someone posts pics, we will have to wait until the news at 6!!

ecstasy_civic
12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
I went over and got some

Pretty bad, I couldnt get any closer, I was escourted out of the parking for being so close lol.

Heres the best I could get.

ecstasy_civic
12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
a shitty one while I was leaving

Kona9
12-10-2003, 03:33 PM
what kind of car was it? not that it matters. just curious!!

Kona9
12-10-2003, 03:34 PM
i was supposed to be there to sign papers but changed my appointment to tomorrow morning. Brutal!!

ecstasy_civic
12-10-2003, 03:37 PM
The car wasnt there when I was there.

There was however a HUGE fuckin hole in the wall lol

It was all tarped up with white saran wrap type material.

It wasnt much to see, as soon as I pulled in 2 cops came up and asked what I was doing here, I just said I was going to the bank:)

But they asked me to leave right away, if I wasnt involved i should leave.:bullshit: lol

Then I was followed out by another cop car.

It seemed crazy how it happened, almost like he was going North bound on harvest hills drive and totally missed the road and into the bank at the bottom of the hill.

BIZZARE,
but they had those little tags they put on the ground for bulletts and such, like a marker.

There had to have been at least 20 of them, so maybe there was something more to this than losing control.??:dunno:

2000impreza
12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
man.. thats nuts. i drove by and wondered what happened.

itsnotaDUB
12-10-2003, 03:56 PM
i belive those tags are just for evidance. like broken off car parts, tire marks. and other objects that the police might use to link the time line together.. my condolances to the family of the decesed person......

red RX-7
12-10-2003, 03:59 PM

the car was still inside the bank when i got there.

red RX-7

red RX-7

B17a
12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Holy shit! Good pics red RX-7, can you imagine just sitting in your office, then all of the sudden a car crashes through?? A la 9-11. Wow, I send my condolences to the employees family.

2000impreza
12-10-2003, 04:02 PM
the car was probably going pretty fast to launch over the fence and into the bank.

red RX-7
12-10-2003, 04:06 PM
The car was still inside the bank when i got there.

It didnt look like there were any marks from the car on the drive through banking road. The car must have just flew right in the window. crazy....

BloNdie
12-10-2003, 04:07 PM
OOOO no, I hope noone in the bank was hurt! You just never know whats comin next! thats crazy! I can't wait to find out what actually happened!
awesome picks tho rx-7!

403Gemini
12-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie
OOOO no, I hope noone in the bank was hurt! You just never know whats comin next! thats crazy! I can't wait to find out what actually happened!
awesome picks tho rx-7!

1 dead, 4 critically injured, i feel for the familes. probably some fuckin idiot thinkin hes a top gun in a car or something. we should send him to russia and have him shot or something

littledan
12-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Damn! that sucks, i feel for the victims... let's not jump to conclusions though.. maybe the diver had a stroke or something... is the dead person the driver or someone inside the bank?

BloNdie
12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
I know people die everyday, but when you know the whole story its different. To think that guy went to work this morning just as any other day, and that happens is just so sad. Such is life tho-I guess! Can't live everyday wondering if somethings will happen to you right?
All my condolences to the families for sure!
Keep us updated when more info's released..I'm so curious. I'm sure theres a logical explanation...maybe :dunno:

B17a
12-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Here we go: now that I hear the driver was 68 years old (he did survive) I wonder if this is another case of an old timer not knowing when to hand over the keys??:dunno:

Date: Wed Dec 10 13:34:51 2003
Subject: Car Strikes Alberta Treasury Branch - 10 Injured

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE

At 11:00 AM Calgary EMS, police and fire responded to 388
Country Hills BV NE at the Alberta Treasury Branch. A vehicle
on Country Hills BV left the roadway and drove over a 25 – 30
foot high embankment, striking the Alberta Treasury Branch
building below. In what can only be described as a freak
occurrence, on the inside of the bank, at the exact place the
vehicle struck the building, nine staff members were meeting
in a board room when the tragedy occurred. All nine employees
and the driver of the vehicle were injured; injuries are as
follows:

Patient #1 An unknown age female, it appears she was
killed instantly and paramedics pronounced her dead at the
scene.

Patient #2 A 34-year-old male, he sustained a broken
jaw, head and facial lacerations and a concussion. He was
able to climb out of the wreckage and free himself before
emergency crews arrived. Paramedics transported him to the
Foothills Hospital in critical but stable condition.

Patient #3 An approximately 30-year-old male, when the
first emergency crews arrived at the scene, he was dazed and
walking within the wreckage. He sustained head and chest
injuries and was transported to the Foothills Hospital in
critical but stable condition.

Patient #4 A 25-year-old male, he sustained facial
injuries, a broken clavicle, head injuries and a lacerated
left leg. Paramedics transported him to the Foothills
Hospital in critical but stable condition.

Patient #5 A 27-year-old female, she was trapped under
the car inside the bank. For forty-five minutes, firefighters
and paramedics fought to free her from the wreckage.
Incredibly, she sustained only head and facial injuries,
including a broken jaw. She was transported to the Peter
Lougheed Hospital in serious but stable condition.

An additional four patients were assessed at the scene for
minor injuries but did not require transportation to a
hospital. These extremely fortunate individuals were also in
the meeting room where the car struck. All nine of the above
mentioned patients were bank employees.

Patient #10 A 68-year-old male, the driver of the car.
He sustained serious chest injuries and was transported to
the Peter Lougheed Hospital in stable condition.

Calgary EMS dispatched five ambulances, one Paramedic
Response Unit (11 paramedics total) and a Superintendent to
the scene of the incident.

The Calgary Police Service is investigating the incident and
they will provide any further details.

legereandrew4
12-10-2003, 05:03 PM
car had to be going so fast to clear the fence... fence is slightly bent, but not gone.... thats crazy!

Weasel
12-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Holy crap, talk about an unlucky day for those 9 employees.

Melinda
12-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Just another press release...

Date: Wed Dec 10 13:45:44 2003
Subject: Country Hills Blvd. Motor Vehicle Collision / Collapsed Building Incident

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE

The Calgary Fire Department responded with Calgary Police and
EMS to a vehicle vs building collision this morning at 388
Country Hills Blvd. N.E.

Upon arrival, there was a car lodged inside an occupied
building. The car had left the roadway approximately 20 feet
above the building. The building, an Alberta Treasury Branch,
was open for business at the time of the collision. The car
landed in an occupied boardroom, trapping three of the
occupants. Firefighters had a lengthy extrication and had the
CFD Urban Search & Rescue Team on sight to assist. The USAR
Team's main mandate was to look after the shoring up of the
structure to make the area was safe for rescue personnel. To
complicate the scenario of the vehicle on top of the
patients, the walls and ceiling were in partial collapse on
top of the car.

There was 20 Firefighters on scene to perform the rescue
operation.

Further details regarding patient condition and scene
investigation will come from EMS and CPS respectively.

-30-

ZorroAMG
12-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by legereandrew4
car had to be going so fast to clear the fence... fence is slightly bent, but not gone.... thats crazy!

Most likely what happened is that the car headed straight for the curb, front wheels hitting, raising the car to a 45 and catapulted it over.....wouldn't need ridiculous speed for that to happen at all....

/////AMG
12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Patient #1 An unknown age female, it appears she was
killed instantly and paramedics pronounced her dead at the
scene.

I feel so sorry for this chick and her family. I'm glad they didn't post her age or we would have know if she was young and didn't live her life to the fullest or not. R.I.P. I feel so sorry for her, she didn't see it coming just like everyone else. I hope she did live her life to the fullest. My condolences to her family and friends.

One thing I don't get is how the fence is still up, its only a little crooked and it didn't even break. :dunno:

ZorroAMG
12-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944

One thing I don't get is how the fence is still up, its only a little crooked and it didn't even break. :dunno:

Ummm....see my post above yours...

Shaolin
12-10-2003, 06:16 PM
i wonder if it was a medical problem.. 68 years old.. hmm :dunno:

/////AMG
12-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Ummm....see my post above yours...

Ya you replied while I was writing my reply.

ZorroAMG
12-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh, sorry..:)

RIP unidentified Vic...

szw
12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
what kind of car was it? not that it matters. just curious!!

newest toyota corolla

BloNdie
12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Just watched the new update, and holy FAWK the only witness said the car was going at least 100 km/h, and obviously had no intent in stopping. Lets hope it was something medical or a very sick person survived.

Danger_Mouse
12-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by legereandrew4

Thats wat I was thinking... It looks like its on a 75 or so degree angle... but there's no fuckin was the guy coulda almost hopped the fence lol...

supaj87GTS
12-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Yes I went and tryed to Hepl couldnt do anything ....The Car was a Corolla S type 2003
Considering how bad the Accident was the car wasnt in to bad of Shape the Driver Was an Old Man I dont think It was his Fault I think he had a Heart attack or something Anyway ..Today really sucked If only they had sometime to Leave the Room....

Well God Bless
Peace Jordan

illeagle
12-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Failed attempt to rob the Bank? did anyone read the Canadian tire sign in RX-7's last pic? Mr. RX-7 must have had a police unifom to get that close, good job:thumbsup:

red RX-7
12-10-2003, 11:13 PM
no poilce uniform needed.

they didnt really block the place off all that good.

I actualy knew one of the employes that gives out loans that got hurn in the accident. what a crazy event.

DeSi
12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
omg

sputnik
12-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Just watched the new update, and holy FAWK the only witness said the car was going at least 100 km/h, and obviously had no intent in stopping. Lets hope it was something medical or a very sick person survived.

Someone was on the radio this morning saying that the driver is a diabetic and went into insulin shock causing him to blackout.

The person who phoned in said his mom was the nurse that attended to the driver.

Still just speculation.

redbeast
12-11-2003, 08:45 AM
People who have medical conditions really shouldn't be on the road, its at an expense of other peoples lives. Don't the motor vehicle registries require some sort of medical check up to clear drivers over the age of 60+ before they can be allowed to drive??? If not i think its a good idea to have a yearly medical check up to report any new illness or health risk that would affect your driving ability.

BloNdie
12-11-2003, 09:12 AM
I think its when you turn 70 that you need a drivers medical, but you might be right :dunno: But either way, I totally agree with you. Aside the fact that ppl with medical problems have the right to lead a normal life, you need to be curdious, and causious knowing what may happen, and that you are putting other people, not to mention yourself, at danger when you get behind the wheel.

roopi
12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
maybe nobody should be on the road then. anyone of us can have a heart attack/stroke at any moment. it doesn't just happend to people over 60. :rolleyes:

BloNdie
12-11-2003, 09:37 AM
haha well I know that, sry, but sput just said something about diabetes. I just think that stubborn older people, who have a serious medical condtion, who continue to tell themselves that "oooyea, im totally fine to drive" should take note. :dunno:

B17a
12-11-2003, 09:40 AM
haha well I know that, sry, but sput just said something about diabetes. I just think that stubborn older people, who have a serious medical condtion, who continue to tell themselves that "oooyea, im totally fine to drive" should take note. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure statistically its quite low, in reality I'd be more worried about the 16 year olds thinking their race car drivers than some geriatric who might have a stroke.

Melinda
12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by redbeast
People who have medical conditions really shouldn't be on the road, its at an expense of other peoples lives. Don't the motor vehicle registries require some sort of medical check up to clear drivers over the age of 60+ before they can be allowed to drive??? If not i think its a good idea to have a yearly medical check up to report any new illness or health risk that would affect your driving ability.
If he's diabetic, then yes, he does. Diabetics are required to get a check up every year for their licence...

BloNdie
12-11-2003, 10:53 AM

I'm pretty sure statistically its quite low, in reality I'd be more worried about the 16 year olds thinking their race car drivers than some geriatric who might have a stroke.

This is very true. Bottom line, things like this can happen at anytime to anyone, We can't just go on living in fear all the time, right?

B17a
12-11-2003, 10:57 AM

We can't just go on living in fear all the time, right?

Well actually the shit I've seen lately, I am living in fear! :D But my point is, although old people get bad press for driving into banks, hitting the gas instead of the brake, mowing down people at flea markets etc.....I think they're not statistically what we should be most worried about.

BloNdie
12-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Theres that natural bit of fear, the what ifs...but don't be a hermit! hah...Well since we can't really change things as they stand, then we better get used to them. Just try not to worry about anything at all, and just live your life as you would, thats what I'm doin neways!

403Gemini
12-11-2003, 11:30 AM

Well actually the shit I've seen lately, I am living in fear! :D But my point is, although old people get bad press for driving into banks, hitting the gas instead of the brake, mowing down people at flea markets etc.....I think they're not statistically what we should be most worried about.

then why do you never hear of middle aged people or 20-50 yr old people "panicking and mistaking the accelerator for the brake"? When im that old, ill be able to admit when i cant drive. Thats why you have kids. to have them drive you around.

obviously somebody wasnt doing their job, either the test for his diabetes wasnt closely monitored this year, or he didnt take his fuckin insulin. no need to defend them. old people are the fuckin worst drivers out there. them and the 16 year olds. Its like some cosmic balance, when you hit 20-50 your an amazing driver.

granted yes, it could happen to anybody (heart attack or stroke). but most people do get physicalls done every year to look for these. its just like a car, you get tune ups done to check it out. but the #1 group in society to get heart attacks are males 65 and older on a monday morning. why? because they are probably retired and are so used to gettin up every morning for work, they realize they have nothing to do anymore and panic.

aftermarket
12-11-2003, 11:30 AM
According to the Herald today, some figured he was going almost 100 km/h. How dumb can you be?

I guess the real facts will come out in the end. Too bad someone had to pay for someone else's mistakes with their life.

B17a
12-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

When im that old, ill be able to admit when i cant drive. Thats why you have kids. to have them drive you around.

Lets be realistic here! When I'm 65 I'll be so fucking senile, they'll have to pull my keys from my cold dead hands! :D

DeSi
12-11-2003, 01:28 PM
it was an old guy, he can't remember what happened. police are saying it was a freak accident

403Gemini
12-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by DeSi
it was an old guy, he can't remember what happened. police are saying it was a freak accident

theres a fine line between freak accident and bad judgement of not knowing when not to drive.

i dont care how rude and mean i sound, that old man should have died. He was old, had a fulfilled life (least he better by the fuckin time hes 68) but these people were 25-35, they were still young.

fuck when i retire, im just going to sit there and play video games all day

roopi
12-11-2003, 02:29 PM

obviously somebody wasnt doing their job, either the test for his diabetes wasnt closely monitored this year, or he didnt take his fuckin insulin. no need to defend them. old people are the fuckin worst drivers out there. them and the 16 year olds. Its like some cosmic balance, when you hit 20-50 your an amazing driver.

First of all you don't even know what happened to this guy so why are you saying such stupid shit. Just because you are from the age of 2-50 doesn't make you a good or bad driver and the same goes for being over the age of 50.

Originally posted by Accent
According to the Herald today, some figured he was going almost 100 km/h. How dumb can you be?

Nobody knows why the car was going that fast. It could have been something else. Did anyone ever consider there was a problem with the car? Probably not because as soon as you hear someone say 'oh i heard he was a daibetic' you assume whatever the fuck you want. I'm not saying there was a problem with the car but you seem to be the ignorant (sp?) one by saying 'how dumb can you be'.

theres a fine line between freak accident and bad judgement of not knowing when not to drive.

i dont care how rude and mean i sound, that old man should have died. He was old, had a fulfilled life (least he better by the fuckin time hes 68) but these people were 25-35, they were still young.

fuck when i retire, im just going to sit there and play video games all day

Before you wish shit like that on people maybe you should wait to see what the cause was. It could have been a mechanical problem with the car. Even if it was something medical it is not his fault. So any person with a disease/illness should not be able to drive? Anything can happen to anyone of us at any moment. I'm 26 and I could have a heart attack. There is no age restrictions on things like this.

sputnik
12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by redbeast

Drunk drivers kill more people than people that have medical emergencies behind the wheel...

How about we just cut off the arms of people that choose to drive drunk and kill someone.

sputnik
12-11-2003, 02:41 PM

Good to see that the media has done a fine job in scaring you. Remember the world isnt getting worse... we just know a lot more

BloNdie
12-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Drunk drivers kill more people than people that have medical emergencies behind the wheel...

How about we just cut off the arms of people that choose to drive drunk and kill someone.

I didn't even think about that. its so true, Although someone did loose there life becuase of this guy, its not like its just going to revelutionize the wa drivers medicals are done, or neting of that sort. TONS of ppl die all the time from drunk drivers, and yet nothing chages. I think sputs onto something with this arm thing ;) hah
and like roopi is saying, we can't all jump to conclusions before we know nething.

Kona9
12-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Naw, how about we cut off 403GEMINIS arms for being fuckin rude and inconciderate!!!

sputnik
12-11-2003, 06:21 PM

Naw, how about we cut off 403GEMINIS arms for being fuckin rude and inconciderate!!!

Just save this post and we'll remember to slash his tires once he hits 50

Khyron
12-11-2003, 06:36 PM
The girl just had her birthday last Sunday - and got engaged. :(

Khyron

/////AMG
12-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Khyron

man don't even post stuff like that, it just gets more depressing.:thumbsdow

FiveFreshFish
12-11-2003, 09:41 PM
.....I think they're not statistically what we should be most worried about.

...yet! Our population is getting older by the day and maybe our roads will look like Florida's in a decade or two.

Primer_Drift
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Yeah I saw the accident reconstruction guys back there today, and was there around lunchtime yesterday. From the pic on the front of the herald that car was literally flying. My condolences to the families.

BloNdie
12-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Khyron

That is so sad! At least it sounds like she lead a somewhat happy life :(

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

...yet! Our population is getting older by the day and maybe our roads will look like Florida's in a decade or two.

Very True...but what can ya do?

403Gemini
12-12-2003, 12:02 AM

im being rude and inconciderate? im the one thats feelin bad for the fuckin families! you all are defending a man who pretty much killed a innocent person. and your bitchin at me? if my brakes fail, i can still stop my car. i wouldnt think "hey lemme try drivin into a fence to stop myself" no id hit a tree or something.

lets say this person that died was your wife? then how the fuck would you feel? oh thats right, you wouldnt be so quick to judge and defend this person. there are more ways to stop your car then a fuckin pedal, if you dont realize that, then read your fuckin owners manual.

403Gemini
12-12-2003, 12:19 AM
Alright i took about 5 minutes to cool off after bein flamed.

yes i was pretty rude, but i still stand next to my judgement. nobody deserved to die. its majorly unfortunate that the young lady was killed, but again the tests havent been done and nobody is certain of what happened... yet. when its 100% set in stone what happened, then we can all form educated opinions, until then everybody is spoutin shit off, im guilty as is every else. so lets all take a chill pill and give the family a moment of silence for their loss.

ecstasy_civic
12-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Ok.,

My dad is a Capt. on the fire dept.
The emergency vehicles there said he might have had a diabetic stroke.

Which temporarly loses all control of his functions etc...
thats why he didnt remember too much about it.

Im finding more and more out throughout the night,
I wont post some of the other horrible things. its just too sad.

Z_Fan
12-12-2003, 03:48 PM
:drama:

Shit happens.

Bad things happen to good people. This is a freak accident, and I assure you the man driving the vehicle wishes he never got in the car that day. But it was not like he knew it was going to happen. Can't charge this guy with much, except manslaughter. If he's charged, I would expect a lienient punishment. It will be very difficult (impossible) to prove criminal intent if a diabetic stroke caused this.

The real tragedy is that so many people got hurt, and the young woman loses her life. :(

Just keep in mind that this kind of thing happens in a split second, and can happen to YOU.

I'm still a lot more worried by the drunk drivers who are out there EVERY SINGLE DAY. This kind of stuff happens what? Once a year in our city...

Krayzie
12-12-2003, 06:38 PM
hey guys just adding some infmrmation
i know this guy
he goes to my mosque
he is a very careful driver i remember him giving me a ride home once
and all the people in our mosque are informed that it was a medical condition i am positive he would of not done this on purpose
just letting you guys know
peace

Fosgate R
12-12-2003, 07:30 PM
A guy at my work witnessed the whole thing, and was the first person on the scene besides the bank employees. He was driving in the lane closest to the bank, when the car cut him off, and crashed through the fence, and into the building. He said it was just flying! He pulled over and, ran into the bank to see if anyone was hurt, he also made the first call to the police. It's and interesting story to be told in person...

403Gemini
12-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
:drama:

Shit happens.

Bad things happen to good people. This is a freak accident, and I assure you the man driving the vehicle wishes he never got in the car that day. But it was not like he knew it was going to happen. Can't charge this guy with much, except manslaughter. If he's charged, I would expect a lienient punishment. It will be very difficult (impossible) to prove criminal intent if a diabetic stroke caused this.

The real tragedy is that so many people got hurt, and the young woman loses her life. :(

Just keep in mind that this kind of thing happens in a split second, and can happen to YOU.

I'm still a lot more worried by the drunk drivers who are out there EVERY SINGLE DAY. This kind of stuff happens what? Once a year in our city...

yea true dat.. i hate drunk drivers. absolutly hate em, got into a fist fight with one of my friends cause he was pretty much braggin about drivin drunk