PDA

View Full Version : Is a rest day actually important?

themack89
05-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been pondering this.. Why, when it comes to working out, do 'they' say to take a rest day?

The reason why I ponder this is because, for example, look at hard labor jobs. You swing a sledgehammer for 12 hours a day, 7 days in a row. Those guys don't die, in fact, they are incredibly strong and incredibly fit.

What am I missing? :dunno:

Simple question.

P.S. I worked the rigs for a while, I would take that workout over the gym any day. :angel:

Hakkola
05-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Yes, it is important if you want to make gains faster, gives the muscles time to repair instead of constantly trying to catch up. In fact, every once in awhile I'll take a week off and I find I can bump up the weights I push.

When I was in the army I still went to the gym, physical labour will get you into shape, but the gym is where you make real gains.

themack89
05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
What kind of gains are you talking about?

Hakkola
05-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Gains on muscles which you wouldn't usually use at work.

Yes, you'll get stronger working on the rigs, but there comes a point where you plateau, you're doing the same thing you were doing yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, you're not really going to see much progress.

My dad has been a miner for the last 30 years or so and he still hits the gym.

If you're talking about the gains from taking a rest, my personal experience is that when I'm working my chest constantly I can't really bump up the weight at all from day to day, but after a week off I can usually do 10 pounds more than I could previously on the bench press etc.

themack89
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Ah I get what you're saying. At the end of the day though I guess I would still prefer the 12 hour work muscle over the gym muscle--I've tended to notice the amount you are able to bench press doesn't hold much for when you're in the field. :dunno: And the reverse of course..

If you wanna be able swing a hammer, then swing a hammer... If you wanna be able to lift a weight, then lift a weight. That kinda thing you get what I'm saying?

Hakkola
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I get what you're saying, but to me going to the gym is about getting the physical appearance that I want. I don't go to the gym because I want the number on the weights to go higher, I go to the gym because I want to look better, it just so happens that (within reason), the two are related.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I get what you're saying, but to me going to the gym is about getting the physical appearance that I want. I don't go to the gym because I want the number on the weights to go higher, I go to the gym because I want to look better, it just so happens that (within reason), the two are related.

Not the best reason to hit the gym, but at least you got the right idea.

For me, and I hope most people... looking great is just a side effect of having the strength I want to have.
If you are a hole digger all day you are going to get strong.. well, the muscles you use to dig holes will get strong.. but where does that leave the rest of your body? Parts are neglected, and that's why regardless of what you do for a job it's still a pretty good idea to hit the gym to work all of your muscles.

Edit: as for the original question:
When I take a "rest" day it's not because I am resting my whole body, it's because I am resting that muscle group. E.G I don't work out my chest every day, I give it a rest on the day I do legs or back. Having said that, full blown rest days occur not because I want them to, but because sometimes you just have other commitments.

mdeluxe
05-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by themack89
I've been pondering this.. Why, when it comes to working out, do 'they' say to take a rest day?

The reason why I ponder this is because, for example, look at hard labor jobs. You swing a sledgehammer for 12 hours a day, 7 days in a row. Those guys don't die, in fact, they are incredibly strong and incredibly fit.

What am I missing? :dunno:

Simple question.

P.S. I worked the rigs for a while, I would take that workout over the gym any day. :angel:

yes and no IMO... my rest day I will go to the gym and just do 30min cardio session.

Darkane
05-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Rest days are extremely Important.

As well going to the gym and "working" 12 hours is not remotely the same.

When we go to the gym our intent is to lift with maximum controlled force, at intense capacities.

When we're swinging a hammer we might do it 1000 times a day. When we train and lift, we're creating much increased forces on the muscle tissue therefore tearing it. It needs time to rebuild.

While working on the rigs, construction, labour whatever - That is more of a conditioning thing. General physical preparedness like Cardio.

I use to Deliver appliances and it wasn't Anything like training.

rx7boi
05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Rest days don't necessarily mean you sit and do nothing.

Go out and ride a bike or something.