PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store iPhone Replacements

gongSHOW
05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
So I have a 32gb Apple 3Gs that is originally with Rogers but is unlocked (Blacksn0w) so I can use it on Fido. I am on 3.1.2 and have the old iBoot along with the old bootloader 05.11.07. I am having some problems with my phone and it still being under warranty I was thinking about going to the genuis bar at the apple store to get it replaced.

My question is are the refurbished phones unlocked or do they actually carry replacements for every single provider (Fido, Rogers, Telus etc.)? If they are locked, do you think they would give me a Fido phone, or would they actually look at the serial number and somehow figure out that it should be locked to Rogers? Finally, if they do give one locked to rogers, what is the likelihood that it would have the old iBoot and old bootloader so I can unlock it?

Thanks so much if anyone has any insight!!

Little Dragon
05-09-2010, 02:09 PM
If you bring it to them, make sure you reset the iPhone back to factory settings. If they see you tampered with it in any way, it could void your warranty. (happened to my friend when he brought in his jailbroken iphone)

Yes, they carry phones for all providers. The guy at the Genius bar wouldn't give me a replacement because when I reset my iPhone I hadn't activated it yet. So it wouldn't say what carrier it was on.
They would give you a Rogers locked one, they don't have unlocked ones (what I was told by Genius Bar staff).

Likelihood of them giving you the old firmware is VERY unlikely.

Hope that helps...

PS. Why not just call the Apple store?

Zero102
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
They give out locked phones, they would search the serial number of your phone to work out who it is locked to and so you would get a rogers locked phone back. Also, you can bet your ass that the firmware would be the new one.

What problems are you having? Usually software issues are not something they replace phones for, and you can be sure they will blame it on the jailbreaking if they can find any evidence of it.

gongSHOW
05-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
They give out locked phones, they would search the serial number of your phone to work out who it is locked to and so you would get a rogers locked phone back. Also, you can bet your ass that the firmware would be the new one.

What problems are you having? Usually software issues are not something they replace phones for, and you can be sure they will blame it on the jailbreaking if they can find any evidence of it.
Damn it, that is what I was fearing. I am having the seemingly common Blacksn0w related problems with it dropping calls like crazy (says call failed)and with it going no service then full bars regularly. Since I only have SSHs for 3.1.3 I've tried manually restoring the baseband as I heard there are problems with the baseband becoming corrupt, but it has not helped.

I have also tried the Pushfix and am using the Blacksn0w RC2 (on http://cydia.pushfix.info) which did not work either. Its not a huge issue, I guess I'll probably just wait until the iPhone 4G comes out as it seems Geohot will probably release something then. Thanks for the insight though!!

black13
05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

what if the phone doesn't turn on? how would they check the serial number? do you know if they would just give out a new phone?

JordanAndrew
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by black13

what if the phone doesn't turn on? how would they check the serial number? do you know if they would just give out a new phone?

They would then try to get it to turn on, and if that fails, it is up to the owner to produce a receipt showing that the said phone is still under warranty. I'm sure they can open the phone up as well in the back as I've got them to replace my screen before at the apple store. Once they've opened it I'm sure they can find the serial number.

It's hit or miss with the genius bar. I dropped my phone which was totally an accident but at the same time I should have been out of luck because they don't cover replacements screens under warranty. I booked an appointment at the apple store and didn't get any luck the first time but I also felt that the person wasn't even trying to help me. So I tried again and booked another appointment and this time the person that was helping me actually took his time to look at my phone. My phone always had a case on it so the back is mint, the phone also always had a screen protector which was still on when I brought it. He said he shouldn't replace the screen for free but he did it anyways.

So the sum it up, book an appointment and make sure you restore your phone first before you come in. You might get a nice employee to help you out. And if no one helps you out the first time, don't hesitate and try again.

black13
05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

They would then try to get it to turn on, and if that fails, it is up to the owner to produce a receipt showing that the said phone is still under warranty. I'm sure they can open the phone up as well in the back as I've got them to replace my screen before at the apple store. Once they've opened it I'm sure they can find the serial number.

It's hit or miss with the genius bar. I dropped my phone which was totally an accident but at the same time I should have been out of luck because they don't cover replacements screens under warranty. I booked an appointment at the apple store and didn't get any luck the first time but I also felt that the person wasn't even trying to help me. So I tried again and booked another appointment and this time the person that was helping me actually took his time to look at my phone. My phone always had a case on it so the back is mint, the phone also always had a screen protector which was still on when I brought it. He said he shouldn't replace the screen for free but he did it anyways.

So the sum it up, book an appointment and make sure you restore your phone first before you come in. You might get a nice employee to help you out. And if no one helps you out the first time, don't hesitate and try again.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

adidas
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT update the cydia file if u havent done so already. A ton of ppl including me have had problems getting the phone to turn on. It would just go through the boot loop. Ive been without my phone for 3-4 weeks and I think finally a guy has come out with a solution to fix the problem.

If you want more info just go to modmyi.com and search for Blackra1n boot loop.

Best of luck with the phone.

Edit: Just wanted to add, if you do end up getting a new phone through Apple, they only give out refurbished iphones.

Zero102
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Same here, I put a small crack in my screen 1 day after getting my iPhone, and when I took it to the Apple store they refused to do anything about it (really, why should they anyways?). About 6 months later I ran the phone over with my creeper while working on my car in my gravel alley, the screen was _DESTROYED_ and full of dirt. My phone was jailbroken so I took it inside, managed to get the stock firmware flashed back on then took it to Apple to see if I would have any better luck. I got a nicer girl this time (Again, the first guy named Chris didn't seem to give a shit at all). When she asked what happened I said I dropped it gently on a table. She laughed then said it was my lucky day and replaced the phone for me. First she checked all of the water markers and plugged it in to her computer to check if it was jailbroken before she replaced it. When she was checking it she insisted that they could tell even if it was flashed back to stock firmware but they still replaced mine.

You have to wonder if they actually understand it is good for their business if they replace even the jailbroken phones, or if they are trying to get some of them back for their own reasons?

3nergiz3d
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by black13

They can easily check when ejecting the sim card tray as the serial number is on there. I would call it a replacement phone and not a brand new phone you would expect from a retail box. Most updated firmware and boot rom is most likely expected.