PDA

View Full Version : My experience at Calgary Autoworks and my DIY turbo kit - Heavy Read!!

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
This thread is to shed some light into my somewhat misleading one regarding my DIY budget turbo kit for my S2K. First, I will get into the kit and the progress of it.

As many of you know, I have a propensity to cut corners and try and recreate things for as cheaply as possible. My student status for many years coupled with my desire to mod cars did not mesh well and as a result, my search for inexpensively turboing a vehicle was born. This should be evident since beyond’s inception and the life of my 4th gen turbo’d lude (and many of you remember that car!) which in the end was turbo’d at a cost of about $1250 and ran for extremely well and quick for over 2 years on a super sweet Rage2 base map.

Fast forward to 2008. I purchased my 2001 S2K and new that it was not going to remain NA for long so I started purchasing parts from anywhere I could that would allow me to keep the costs as low as possible. Many people on the s2ki forums were very skeptical for anyone to turbo an S2K for under 7-8 grand US and this was a far cry from my budget.

After reading countless threads and posts, as well as my previous turboing experience with my car and many other cars, I began collecting parts, many oddly enough from Ebay and the used marketplace from different car forums. Once I finished collecting all my parts, I began the installation during spring break of 2009. I unfortunately chose an engine management system that was foreign to many tuners in Calgary and was not able to achieve my power goals so this was abandoned and I went to an AEM standalone, mind you it was over a year later in which the mean time, I was driving around with a very basic tune that pretty much allowed me to rev to 4K rpm. And although we have some very gifted tuners in this city who are more than affable and willing to help out a fellow car enthusiast, sometimes things do not go as planned.I do thank you Toma for all your efforts in helping me try and get that thing to work.

Fast forward to this week. This is where I encountered an individual at one of the meets at Grey Eagle who referred me to Lawrence at Calgary Autoworks (Thanks Sebasshole). Up to this point, I had no clue he or that shop even existed, but upon hearing about his extensive work with tuning, specifically his monster of an S2K, my attention was engaged.

After making an appointment with him, I have concluded that he has fit the bill with many of the other tuners and dyno operators that I have encountered in this city (truth be told, only two) but both him and Toma are tremendous tuners and outstanding individuals.

My tuning started this past weekend when I dropped off my car Friday night. I had previously met Lawrence and from the word go, he was an amazingly friendly individual who did not once make fun of my turbo kit, or my welding work, hell, I still make fun of my kit! In the end, this was a BLOWN SUCCESS story in that my kit was able to create 318 whp at 7 psi. This is with a safe tune and if I choose to upgrade the clutch and diff as well as swap in a 3mm head gasket, I can safely crank up the boost to the 450 whp mark. These AP1 S2Ks have made roughly 185 whp on this dyno and this is why I am quite content with the outcome.

In the end, Lawrence was very patient and understanding of my needs as well as very considerate with my car. I reckon this comes from owning an S2K himself. In addition to this, I cannot say enough about his work ethic, pleasantness, friendliness and tuning prowess. He is truly an S2K tuning God and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND him to anyone tuning his or her S2K or any vehicle for that matter. It’s unfortunate that he won’t be around Calgary for the long run so I encourage you to go visit him. Amongst our paucity of excellent tuners, he is surely one of the hidden gems in Calgary and I am so glad that I had a chance to go to his shop at Calgary Autoworks and meet a tuner like him! Thanks mate and I hope to see you again when I throw in the 3 mil head gasket.

CRXguy
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
so when am i gonna get a ride in the new beast?

CivicDXR
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Sweet! :D

Clark-Kent
05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Sick good job man, got any pics of this beast?

03ozwhip
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
i bought my mr2 off of lawrence, he was always a really good guy with some really cool cars.:thumbsup: to lawrence!

edit: how much did you end up spending on the full kit, installed and tuned?

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I forgot to mention that in the end, I spent just over twice as much as I did on my prelude turbo kit.
This includes absolutely everything on the car from every bolt and nut to the exhaust, muffler and header wrap...even the hose clamps and JB weld! ;)

And I'm only boosting 7 psi until I can save up to get the head gaskt, new clutch and possibly a new diff.:thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
even the hose clamps and JB weld! ;)

haha some one needs to host that OG video of his last build... I can only assume your FPR didn't get installed in this manner... Right?

LOL

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

haha some one needs to host that OG video of his last build... I can only assume your FPR didn't get installed in this manner... Right?

LOL

You assume correctly kind sir; however, there is no rising rate pressure regulator or fuel sending unit this time. I am using an inline fuel pump and some 630 injectors to get the job done. I like having a lower fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Like I said, I've learnt a few things over the course of my turboing days! :devil:

RickDaTuner
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM

You assume correctly kind sir; however, there is no rising rate pressure regulator or fuel sending unit this time. I am using an inline fuel pump and some 630 injectors to get the job done. I like having a lower fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Like I said, I've learnt a few things over the course of my turboing days! :devil:

haha. Much less risk of catastrophic fires huh...

I'm just poking fun at you Leo... In all honestly I wanted to trade my STi for a blown S2k more than a few times.

Enjoy your ride man, see you at the meets

1-Bar
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
pics of dyno or it didn't happen :rofl:

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
pics of dyno or it didn't happen :rofl:

You're such a cunt!! ;)

I'd post them up, but I'm too busy looking for carbon fiber splitters! :nut: :rofl:

cr-xbrian
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
would your s2k happen to be white??

rage2
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
When do I get to rape that 320whp?

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by rage2
When do I get to rape that 320whp?

As soon as you take a shit so you can shed some weight from that heavy ass C63 of yours! ;) :rofl:

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by cr-xbrian

Na, that's another member's ride...and coincidently why I couldn't get my car into the shop sooner!! ;)

cr-xbrian
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
ahh! ic ic, yeah i seen about 4 or 5 s2k's in there in the last month or 2, i think its awsome!!:thumbsup:

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
so when am i gonna get a ride in the new beast?

Sorry bro, I don't have any baby seats in the car! ;)

Besides, you have to come out to the meets in order to see other cars you know! :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
You going to do any track days in this beast bud?

rage2
05-10-2010, 12:35 PM
While the car might be track day capable, Leo doesn't have the skillz to drive on the track.

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
You going to do any track days in this beast bud?

Nah, I do my best racing...on the streets!! :eek:

haha, just kidding, as much as I'd like to, I've never done a track day my entire life. The closest thing would be the drive back on the 1/4 mile strip at race city...and even then, I had to keep my speeds below 30 km/h!!!

Also, I'd have to install an oil cooler into the oil relocation kit, which is not a hard thing, just can't be bothered at the mo. I still have to change the oil and the rad tonight hopefully.

LUDELVR
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rage2
While the car might be track day capable, Leo doesn't have the skillz to drive on the track.

It's not the skillz I lack, but rather...yeah, you're pretty much right! I'd for sure be playing bumper cars but hey...rubbing's racing!! :rofl:

Sebasshole
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
+1 for calgary autoworks

TomcoPDR
05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
So this is what the high school chicks dig eh :devil:

TorqueDog
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
That's some unbelievable power in an S2000. Good work!

CRXguy
05-11-2010, 10:13 PM

Sorry bro, I don't have any baby seats in the car! ;)

Besides, you have to come out to the meets in order to see other cars you know! :rofl:

LOL I'll be out and about this summer. :rofl:

2EFNFAST
05-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Race you for pinks? :confused:

Ek9Max
05-12-2010, 01:21 AM

Mine is a white one that was in at lawrences shop the week before leo's. Lawrence is a great guy and did a conservative tune for me to make 433 whp. :)

LUDELVR
05-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
That's some unbelievable power in an S2000. Good work!

Originally posted by Ek9Max

Mine is a white one that was in at lawrences shop the week before leo's. Lawrence is a great guy and did a conservative tune for me to make 433 whp. :)

Now this is some is some unbelievable power in an S2K!! :nut: :eek:

theken
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I've got some extra rain gutters if you feel like sprucing up the exterior a bit.

LUDELVR
05-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by theken
I've got some extra rain gutters if you feel like sprucing up the exterior a bit.

My Home Depot sponsorship has been cut but I have managed to get a sponsorshipo from Rona so it's all good!

I've already used a shovel for my front splitters! :rofl:

cr-xbrian
05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ek9Max

Nice! Your car is very nice btw, good job on the install. i had a chance to stop by the saturday he was working on it. Awsome, just awsome lol

Ek9Max
05-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Nice! Your car is very nice btw, good job on the install. i had a chance to stop by the saturday he was working on it. Awsome, just awsome lol

Thanks. It's at the bodyshop getting gutted right now.

dimi
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I forgot to mention that in the end, I spent just over twice as much as I did on my prelude turbo kit.
This includes absolutely everything on the car from every bolt and nut to the exhaust, muffler and header wrap...even the hose clamps and JB weld! ;)

And I'm only boosting 7 psi until I can save up to get the head gaskt, new clutch and possibly a new diff.:thumbsup:

You don't need a HG. You can boost up to 13-14 psi on stock CR.

S2000s are one of the stupidest platforms to turbo IMO.

You can't track the thing because it will overheat (many people have tried and failed, even with oil coolers and other cooling mods). The AFI track S2000 is turboed but it has A LOT of money in it.

You can't launch it. If you do you'll break the diff. Get a stronger diff or R200 conversion, then you'll break the tranny. Want a stronger tranny? PPG sells the gears but they are $10 grand+. Even if you don't launch, people have blown their trannies by just pushing lots of power...Money Pit. The recent trend on turboed S2Ks is fitting domestic rear ends and transmissions to solve those problems.

I am impressed with the amount of money spent. So $2500-3000 for everything? Does that include the EMS and tuning? Last time I checked the cheapest EMS was over $700 used and tuning is not cheap at all.

Can you list out the specs on your build and approximate amounts you spend. Ebay manifold, turbo?

Graham_A_M
05-12-2010, 09:54 PM
^ Glad I didn't get an S2k. :nut:

1-Bar
05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
haha, you got a Broke My Wallet though ^^

LUDELVR
05-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by dimi

Can you list out the specs on your build and approximate amounts you spend. Ebay manifold, turbo?

PM'd you mate. :thumbsup:

Toma
05-13-2010, 08:57 AM
LMAO... Jesus... you are the WORST at coming up with "cool slogans"... lol.. Blown Motor :facepalm:

FIY, traditionally, blown refers to either SUPERCHARGED, or actually blown up engine lol

Congrats man, nice to see it finally work after all that wasted time with that POS emanage. :thumbsup: Coulda saved me two dyno sessions last year and had you out the door in 2 hours if you had the AEM then...

Sorry I could not help ya this time, just friggin swamped tryin to pay for new toys lol.

We'll have to line up and go for a rip ;)

:thumbsup: :nut:

LUDELVR
05-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Come on bro, I thought it was pretty clever! ;)

But yeah mate, totally appreciate the time you put in for helping me out. You'll have to let me take you out to Denny's or something! :rofl:

When I crank up the boost with the aem I'll be sure to give ya ring...provided you're available! :devil:

As for lining up with you...as much as I like being bent over, I prefer walking and sitting normally and comfortably!! :rofl:

Originally posted by Toma
LMAO... Jesus... you are the WORST at coming up with "cool slogans"... lol.. Blown Motor :facepalm:

FIY, traditionally, blown refers to either SUPERCHARGED, or actually blown up engine lol

Congrats man, nice to see it finally work after all that wasted time with that POS emanage. :thumbsup: Coulda saved me two dyno sessions last year and had you out the door in 2 hours if you had the AEM then...

Sorry I could not help ya this time, just friggin swamped tryin to pay for new toys lol.

We'll have to line up and go for a rip ;)

:thumbsup: :nut:

dimi
05-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Glad I didn't get an S2k. :nut:

Oh ok! Let me guess, you're gonna turbo your Z4 :rofl:

dimi
05-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I think I saw you cruising on Mcleod yesterday. From what I saw car looked great with the FMIC.

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I think I saw you cruising on Mcleod yesterday. From what I saw car looked great with the FMIC.

Were you in your S? I was up and down Macleod 2 times during the day, once in the avo at around 4 and once around 10:30 at night when I saw that rx8.

I also spotted a couple of S's running around, but going the opposite way.

Thanks for the compliment! I love the look of the FMIC on the S...that's the only real reason I went turbo...that and the BOV! ;) :rofl:

RecoilS14
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
So when do we get to see pics? or have you thrown them up elsewhere that i have missed?

dimi
05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Were you in your S? I was up and down Macleod 2 times during the day, once in the avo at around 4 and once around 10:30 at night when I saw that rx8.

I also spotted a couple of S's running around, but going the opposite way.

Thanks for the compliment! I love the look of the FMIC on the S...that's the only real reason I went turbo...that and the BOV! ;) :rofl:

Yea we caught a glimpse of each other I think. I was in the black S2000 with a hardtop.

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Yea we caught a glimpse of each other I think. I was in the black S2000 with a hardtop.

Yup! Definitely saw your car! Love the hard top. Looks bloody brilliant! It was right beside chinook if I recall.

Only one thing...I always thought you were white!!!! :rofl:

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
So when do we get to see pics? or have you thrown them up elsewhere that i have missed?

Here ya go:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6914/p5120054.jpg

tomt64
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
I just came out of CAW yesterday, had a bit of a talk to the guys.... real sound people. Lawerences S2k is like a work of art, fantastic!
Great place to go for people in the south to get parts after work instead of trying to make it up deerfoot at rush hour.
I will be definitely going back there in the future for more parts. :thumbsup:

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Definitely mate! He's got one of the sickest S2K's here! And he's got go to match the show!! Can't wait to see it at DTP this year!

And as for the location, it's 5 mins from my house! Can't beat that.

Originally posted by tomt64
I just came out of CAW yesterday, had a bit of a talk to the guys.... real sound people. Lawerences S2k is like a work of art, fantastic!
Great place to go for people in the south to get parts after work instead of trying to make it up deerfoot at rush hour.
I will be definitely going back there in the future for more parts. :thumbsup:

Sebasshole
05-14-2010, 02:32 PM
man you guys are such noobs!!
Im suprised when i talk to someone from beyond and they dont know CAW. They have A BANNER!

anyways did anyone see his golf?
makes me lightheaded whenever i see it.

dimi
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Yup! Definitely saw your car! Love the hard top. Looks bloody brilliant! It was right beside chinook if I recall.

Only one thing...I always thought you were white!!!! :rofl:

:rofl:

Well I am, but I do have a darker complexion and tend to tan easily I guess. :D

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM

:rofl:

Well I am, but I do have a darker complexion and tend to tan easily I guess. :D

Ooops, that's supposed to say I always thought you were Asian, but you looked white!! haha :rofl:

My bad!

Sweet looking S either way...I see no ethnicity when I look at an S...well, actually, I do, I see Japanese, but you get the picture!!

And yeah, Seabastian, his Golf is INSANE!!! He was saying he dyno'd something in the 540 mark or something like that! :eek:

cr-xbrian
05-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Can't wait to see it at DTP this year!

caw wont be there this year.

Sebasshole
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
lol yea 540 all wheel horsepower!
Hes crazy, but im stoked to hear that everything went well over there i broke a sweat when i saw this thread come up, thinking along the lines of a blown motor ha, but sick numbers man, but i want to see MOAR

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Sebasshole
lol yea 540 all wheel horsepower!
Hes crazy, but im stoked to hear that everything went well over there i broke a sweat when i saw this thread come up, thinking along the lines of a blown motor ha, but sick numbers man, but i want to see MOAR

Oh bro, I'm just glad you put me up to him because I had no idea he even existed! And wow does he know his stuff. Like I said, we have some pretty gifted tuners in this city but it was nice to talk to one with the same car and platform as me!

Cheers again mate for the referral! I guess I owe you a ride now aye! ;) :rofl:

Oh and by the way, if things would have gone south, yeah, I'd take it out on you and your R! hahaha :rofl:

Just kidding...but seriously! :devil:

LUDELVR
05-14-2010, 03:52 PM

caw wont be there this year.

Really? He told me he was going to be in it this year. :dunno:

Sebasshole
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
You wouldent dare touch my RAWRI!
AND now that you mentioned it, i would like a ride.
:clap:

R-Audi
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Nice running into you last night Leo. Car looked like it was running great!

LUDELVR
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Nice running into you last night Leo. Car looked like it was running great!

haha, I thought that was you bro! I was looking and couldn't really get a clear look at your face, but yeah, your Audi is running well! The first run up the hill, I threw it into 3rd and was like 'oh shit, should've put it into 2nd!" haha, oh well! :dunno:

Yeah, loving the car now and it's a totally different beast! i'm happy with what Lawrence was able to get out of this thing.:thumbsup:

BTW was your girlfriend shitting her pants? :rofl: