PDA

View Full Version : need help - stuffed up a paint job

david_oz
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
hi everyone

so i was washing my car at one of those car wash places with a high pressure hose the other day, and i pointed it at what looked like a scrath or some dirt or something on the back of my car. I was extremely surprised to see the paintwork just unravel and fly off all around it!

Within a few minutes all the paint in an area around the size of my fist was gone.

Because I'm cheap, and sometimes not the smartest, I decided to try to repair it myself, since i read a couple of articles on the internet. I went down to canadian tire and bought all the stuff i thought i needed and gave it a go. As will soon become apparent... im no home handyman

here is a photo gallery showing the sequence --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/50060500@N03/sets/72157624037331298/

Ok so its a little better than what it was before... but its still pretty bloody awful. And on top of that, some primer ran down to a section i didnt mask off, so that looks terrible as well. and it also seems the paint i bought isn't quite as "colour matched" as the manufacturer claims

so i basically have 2 questions:

1. what the hell did i do wrong?
2. how the hell do i fix it from here?

the one thing i forgot to buy was some of the finish stuff... so maybe if i head back to that car wash, spray it again close enough then this paint will come off and i'll get a second chance?? but im not really sure what to do

any help would be appreciated

cheers

dave

TomcoPDR
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
- Sand the ENTIRE bumper (if you can, remove it), looks like a plastic bumper, so probably 320 grit then gradually go higher (finer grade)

- Use a product street name: "spot putty" to fill in minor imperfections, do not use Bondo or bodyfiller in your case (can't even remember the product or brand name anymore)

- Use the right cleaning product, apply primer (ask the bodyshop supply stores, don't go to C.T.)

- Wet sand dried primer... use the property cleaning product (tack clother, etc...), apply paint... do the right steps, apply clearcoat.

Option B: Bring to a bodyshop

gofastmerc
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by david_oz
hi everyone

s
so i basically have 2 questions:

1. what the hell did i do wrong?
2. how the hell do i fix it from here?

dave

1. Pretty much everything.
2. Take it to someone who knows how to fix it.