PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Problem

shakalaka
05-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Ok so I am having this weird problem with my Macbook Pro, whenever I connect my iPhone with it.

I've always charged my phone from the computer and lately it's starting to give me problems. It just started a couple days ago and it's already happening quite often and is very annoying.

What happens is that I keep getting a message pop up on the screen saying something along the lines of The USB was drawing too much power and has been disconnected to prevent damage to the computer.

Now for charging I could always just use the wall charger, but this also means that it doesn't connect for long enough to show up in iTunes either. So I can't sync any new songs and stuff.

Anyone have an idea what's happening?

FivE.SeveN
05-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Well not exactly sure here, but to give a little background: hi-speed USB can draw up to 500mA max when in use -- so half an amp. Not exactly small current. And that's per port.. so sure I can see your MBP shutting off the connection to prevent overdrawing the power supply, IF say there's several things charging at once.

If it's the only thing connected though, I'd be suspicious more of the iphone that there's a damaged limiter in there somewhere that's trying to pull more current than the usb port is allowed to give.

Other neat facts that might not have anything to do with anything here.. LiIon (and lipoly) batterys charge slow at first, then ramp way up to huge current draw between about 10% and 85% full (depends on the battery). Then slows down to trickle charge near the end. If you're getting the error even when the phone is at full, I would definitely suspect something is up with the battery. How old is your phone?

Cos
05-11-2010, 12:02 PM
this wont help you out but my macpro had all of the USB's fail. I had to start buying bluetooth devices for the last 6 months of its life.

shakalaka
05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Yea I dont know what was going on. I switched the USB cable and everything works fine now.:dunno:

benyl
05-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I was just going to say your cable is broken.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I had the same problem about a three weeks ago with my 15" Unibody MBP. I plugged in my iPhone and smoke started coming out of the USB port.

Nothing caught on fire or anything but it fried the two USB ports and I had the logic board replaced under AppleCare at WestWorld Computers (which is way better than dealing with a genius at the Apple Store IMO).

Best to just have it looked at if you're still under warranty.

-TT

Originally posted by shakalaka
Ok so I am having this weird problem with my Macbook Pro, whenever I connect my iPhone with it.

I've always charged my phone from the computer and lately it's starting to give me problems. It just started a couple days ago and it's already happening quite often and is very annoying.

What happens is that I keep getting a message pop up on the screen saying something along the lines of The USB was drawing too much power and has been disconnected to prevent damage to the computer.

Now for charging I could always just use the wall charger, but this also means that it doesn't connect for long enough to show up in iTunes either. So I can't sync any new songs and stuff.

Anyone have an idea what's happening?

BrknFngrs
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I was just going to say your cable is broken.

Agreed. I had a faulty cable with my iPhone when I purchased it.