PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Dealerships are terrible. Where else to service my car?

KRZY403
05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
So I was at Northwest Acura today to get my car serviced. I brought my car in at 9am. I get there ask them for type C which includes oil change and to top up fluids. Even brought in my own oil to save some money because I got charged up the ass the last time I asked for their synthetic which wasn't even the right grade for my car. They used 5w20 instead of 5w30. Didn't find out about till 6 months later when I looked at the service records... Anyways.. 5 hours later I get my car back. They washed my car and wiped it down when I specifically asked them not to! Hell.. it looks worse than when I brought the car in. The car had water spots all over despite it being wiped down. So.. Ok.. fine..whatever.. I'm getting my car detailed next week at chatelaine anyways...

Next, I checked the coolant level because I knew I was running low and wanted to see if they topped it off. It was exactly what I had thought. They didn't even fill it up. It was an inch below the min level.

Then I thought.. hmm they must have fucked up something else as well like the oil change. So I check to see how much oil they've put in my car. I had brought in 5.4 litres and since my car needs 4.7 litres then I should have 700 ml left right? WRONG! I still had a 1L bottle left unopened.

I was pissed now so I go in to talk to the service rep and told her the problem about the coolant and oil level. Then she goes to talk to the the guy that worked on my car. She comes back and tells me the manual says 4.4 litres of oil, which is bullshit because I had just looked at the car manual and it said 4.7. Now she was speechless because she didn't even know herself. Then she tells me the the coolant shouldn't be topped up because it fluctuates during this season, which I thought was really stupid because that's what the min and max indicators are for and clearly the coolant level was well below the min line.

So after all the complaining they topped up the coolant and I just left it at that. Never going back again. Anyone here know a reliable place that can service honda/acuras? Heard option import was the popular choice. Anywhere else?

RickDaTuner
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
haha Wow I hate service writers... such useless... twats.

If i had a shop I would give beyonders the full treatment, and love all your cars like they were my own.

max_boost
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah Jim (owner) of Option Import gets fantastic reviews from some of the OG's on here. Plus he used to work at Acura so yeah :thumbsup:

Personally, for stuff like oil/fluids minor service I just take it right to Mr. Lube lol Perhaps ignorance is bliss but my cars are all on leases so I really don't care who touches them. Mr. Lube is just convenient and fast but it is a premium price. $65 for a basic oil change is :nut: but time is money I suppose. Can't really take the time to drop off a car, pick it up later in the day etc.

syeve
05-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yeah Jim (owner) of Option Import gets fantastic reviews from some of the OG's on here. Plus he used to work at Acura so yeah :thumbsup:

+1 internet vouch

epp01
05-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I know you're pissed but 0.3L is nothing for an engine, if I was the mechanic I probably would have done the same thing man. As for your coolant, his bad!!! lol.

KRZY403
05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
ya 300 ml is prob nothing. I checked the dipstick. It was still in between the 2 dots so it was good so didn't add anymore in.

Thanks guys I'll give option import a call next time I'm due for service.

LEGiiT
05-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Personally, for stuff like oil/fluids minor service I just take it right to Mr. Lube lol Perhaps ignorance is bliss but my cars are all on leases so I really don't care who touches them. Mr. Lube is just convenient and fast but it is a premium price. $65 for a basic oil change is :nut: but time is money I suppose. Can't really take the time to drop off a car, pick it up later in the day etc.

Hah! $400 per oil change for my car! Though, I have to change it every 24,000km which is like once a year for me.

ee2k
05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
If you have an Acura/Honda, Option Import, no question about it. Those guys are great, never felt any more comfortable with a mechanic - and they work with you to provide best service/price issues based on the need/urgency.

KuruptEX
05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
jim / howard at option import, really amazing guys!

i had a situation where my down pipe for my 240sx had punctured. It was going to run me about $1200 for the pipe(from nissan n/a not turbo'd). they had a guy come in and custom weld me a new pipe, for about $400. there not out to put a hole in your pocket instead they help you keep cash.

94boosted
05-12-2010, 09:20 PM
You think that's bad try going to a domestic dealership for service. I've taken my car in three times for service/warranty work since I bought it a year ago and each time they fucked up a few things. It's gotten to the point where I no word of a lie wash and photograph my car the night before I take it in for service and then walk around with the service adviser and make him take note on the work order that there are no scratches/dings/chips... and even that didn't work last time as they still fucked up. :nut:

It's sad but when tech's get paid flat rate they wana get shit done fast and not necessarily well.

Clever
05-12-2010, 11:50 PM
For what it's worth, +1 for Option Import as well.

vengie
05-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by ee2k
If you have an Acura/Honda/ SUBARU, Option Import, no question about it. Those guys are great, never felt any more comfortable with a mechanic - and they work with you to provide best service/price issues based on the need/urgency.

Fixed... Option import does amazing work.

heavyD
05-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

It's sad but when tech's get paid flat rate they wana get shit done fast and not necessarily well.

Yep this is the reason why dealership tech's do such poor work. Very few take pride in their work and are more concerned about getting the job done as fast as possible so they can grab the next work order.

911fever
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yep this is the reason why dealership tech's do such poor work. Very few take pride in their work and are more concerned about getting the job done as fast as possible so they can grab the next work order.

But that's what is encouraged man, stealership's mechanics urge and prod tech's to finish faster so they can work on more and more cars, bill more hours in a faster time so they can make more money.