PDA

View Full Version : Small Town opinions needed

Gibson
05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
So, been looking around for jobs and I've found a few different positions open. There are two in Alberta, Ponoka and Wainwright, which I've already applied for, but there are some other out of province ones I need a hand with.

The first two, which are in Saskatchewan, are in North Battleford and Prince Albert. The general reaction when I bring up these two towns has been fairly negative with regards to crime rate and such and I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light on that.

The last one is in Thompson, Manitoba which as I understand is the coldest place on Earth ever. Plus polar bears.

So basically, does anyone know if these places are SO miserable to live in that it wouldn't be worth moving there?

Cheers

masoncgy
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to live in Wainwright or Ponoka... that's for sure. I can't speak about the other ones you listed, but the two I mentioned are filled with the usual rednecks & small town hicks who run the place.

Everyone gives you a stare & second/third glances... it's creepy.

I like some small towns, like on the coast of Vancouver Island... just not in Alberta. I will assume that small towns in SK & MB are the same as AB.

Brooks, Olds, Drumheller, Stettler, Lacombe... etc. etc. etc... they're all the same.

jonnycat
05-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Out of the bunch, prince albert is probably the best. It's a small city, not a town and you're far enough north where you're out of the flat prairies and into the tree'd areas.

banned3x
05-12-2010, 04:45 PM
What about Lethbridge? I love it here, close to Calgary

masoncgy
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't think Lethbridge is on his list... nor is it considered a 'small town'.

quik96
05-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Prince Albert is by far the worst on your list with North Battleford 2nd. The people I've known in PA said the crime is crazy there. I haven't lived in either town, but have been to each plenty of times.

I've never been to Thompson, but I've heard it's also a pretty rough place. The people I know there won't go out to the bars because there's a good chance you'll get jumped. You're also a long way away from anything else in Thompson.

I don't want this to come off as racist but these three places have very large native populations and that can sometimes mean a higher crime rate.

From the town's you've listed I would take Ponoka without hesitation, Wainwright would be my second choice.

Antonito
05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
It depends on what kind of person you are. If you are a quiet person you can find like-minded people and just chill. And I mean chill because there's not actually anything else to do. If you are pretty rough around the edges you'll fit right into the bar scene. If you like to party but don't enjoy bar fights, then you're fucked.

Going out on the town at night is a bad idea unless you have some local friends already. Going to a bar by yourself when you're new in town is the best way to end up in a ditch without your wallet, or your teeth.

Also, don't knock up a local girl. Anyone that stays in those towns past 18 are never going to leave, which means you'll never leave unless you like the idea of sending child support payments.

Gibson
05-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by banned3x

I like turtles.

Originally posted by quik96
Prince Albert is by far the worst on your list with North Battleford 2nd. The people I've known in PA said the crime is crazy there. I haven't lived in either town, but have been to each plenty of times. I've never been to Thompson, but I've heard it's also a pretty rough place. The people I know there won't go out to the bars because there's a good chance you'll get jumped. You're also a long way away from anything else in Thompson. I don't want this to come off as racist but these three places have very large native populations and that can sometimes mean a higher crime rate. From the town's you've listed I would take Ponoka without hesitation, Wainwright would be my second choice.

This is the conclusion I arrived at by myself haha, I'm glad somebody agrees with me. Thompson looks like a nice little town, but it is seriously in the absolute fricken middle of nowhere. I'm glad you brought up the native thing too, cause I didn't want to be the first to do it but I've heard that about all three as well.

Originally posted by Antonito
It depends on what kind of person you are. If you are a quiet person you can find like-minded people and just chill. And I mean chill because there's not actually anything else to do. If you are pretty rough around the edges you'll fit right into the bar scene. If you like to party but don't enjoy bar fights, then you're fucked. Going out on the town at night is a bad idea unless you have some local friends already. Going to a bar by yourself when you're new in town is the best way to end up in a ditch without your wallet, or your teeth. Also, don't knock up a local girl. Anyone that stays in those towns past 18 are never going to leave, which means you'll never leave unless you like the idea of sending child support payments.

Are you talking about all of these towns in general, or just one in specific?

I wouldn't consider myself rough by any stretch, I'm fairly soft spoken, but as long as a person like me could live in that town without fear of certain stabbing then I would consider it.

Antonito
05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Thompson and Prince Albert in specific because I have family in both, but I'd imagine North Battleford is not much different

r0g3r
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
i lived in regina for a while and I believe it has the highest crime rate in canada IIRC, I also lived in the area where the crime supposedly happens but I never see it so... anyways I've been to prince albert and I gotta stay its a much nicer town than Regina.

I can't give much more input then that because I've only stayed in regina for about 8months and in prince albert for a little bit and not really exploring the area but its safe to say the scenery gets nicer as you go north.

thager
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
i live about 30 mins away from north battleford and im in there about 2-3 times a week for shopping, its like going to a rez, lazy indians every where, they pretty much have the run of the town thats why we moved to a small town called wilkie, but stoon is only about 1hr south of N.b. and has all the big box stores, N.B. has nothing for good shopping .

HondaKid
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I have family living in Thompson, they are long term employees at the mine there, earn six figures and spend it on motorcycles, snowmobiles, hunting stuff, baseball and hockey. It is a very outdoorsy and active town. Yes it is small, when it was time for them to get a bigger house there were only two to select from, a small town. Nice people there and yes it is rough, let's say they can defend their patch if need be. You'd fit in if you like fishing, etc. Keep in mind it is on what has to be one of the worst and most dangerous highways in Canada. Not uncommon to end up in a ditch, plenty of DWI all about and I think eight hours or more from Winnipeg. Freakin' cold too.

I like PA, have been there maybe six times for two weeks at a time. Close to the best National Park around, very close by. Again a outdoor type town so the same rules apply.

PA and Thompson are worth moving to IF you have a great $$$$ job, like the outdoors and friendly people. Give it a year or two, you might like it and if not move somewhere else with your new experience.

North Battleford is very small, no experience living or visiting. It was an important place 100 years ago. I am betting the same outdoor activities are worshipped as well.

The Alberta towns I have no experience with, so no opinion.

HeavyD111
05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Prince Albert is a gang infested craphole with a horrendous crime rate. I have given up the idea of having any kind of basic stereo system in my car because the little native gang kids keep stealing it, and I live in one of the best areas of town. Of course the city is small enough that they just roam every area looking for stuff to steal or vandalize. Not much for jobs here either, yet the housing prices have went up to stupid levels...not like Calgary or anything, but for a town with no industry... One thing we have lots of here are jails and therefore inmates. Provincial mens jail is right beside new condo developments in the middle of town so you get a great view of the homies out for daily exercise. We have a Penetentiary, women's jail (tough bar fighting ladies named Pat in that place) and good old young offenders to make you aware of where your tax dollars are going. If you do end up in the arsehole of Saskatchewan, heed my advice and buy an acreage. Trust me on this...it will add years to your life. Been stuck in this dump for 38 years. Oh, in the mid 80's the TV show W5 did a special about PA - it was called "Lilttle Chicago" because it's crime rate was so high. No kidding - doesn't that sound like a great place to raise your kids?

PS Battleford is even worse, but at least they have two new power plants going up soon that should pay some good coin.

HeavyD111
05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
But then again, if you get paid well, like say $80,000 + a year, who cares. Spend your cash vacationing in Spain during the bitter winters! If you end up coming to PA shoot me a PM and I can at least tell you where to don't want to live in town.

snoop101
05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok So I must ask what kinda of career are you doing that would take you to such small shit towns in Canada? Personally I would take a cut in pay to live in a Smaller town in BC or even back east along the east coast. Unfortunetly myself I work in it and well the Okanagan lets say has no IT work and the pay is low compared to the cost of living. If you have a career that can be done in a place like this then it woul work out even if you get paid more. Simply I raher make less money and feel safe, have kids and feel that their safe, have nice summers, have a city that cares for their city, etc.

Gibson
05-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Ok So I must ask what kinda of career are you doing that would take you to such small shit towns in Canada? Personally I would take a cut in pay to live in a Smaller town in BC or even back east along the east coast. Unfortunetly myself I work in it and well the Okanagan lets say has no IT work and the pay is low compared to the cost of living. If you have a career that can be done in a place like this then it woul work out even if you get paid more. Simply I raher make less money and feel safe, have kids and feel that their safe, have nice summers, have a city that cares for their city, etc.

Photojournalist.

At this moment in time there are maybe 5 job postings across Canada, all of them in small towns. You gotta start somewhere in order to make a name for yourself so the bigger publications will pick you up. Trust me, I wouldn't even be considering it if I didn't have to.

And no, I won't be making good money in this profession. At all. Ever.

:dunno: Gotta do what you love I guess.

Thanks for the feedback on PA. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, although I did NOT get the job in Wainwright. I'm still crossing my fingers for Ponoka.

SJW
05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm from Thompson. Don't move there. It's a shithole.

sillysod
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
ponoka is okay, atleast it's close to red deer or edmonton.

PA , battlefords and Thompson are terrible.

Might as well be Lac La Biche :(

HeavyD111
05-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey at least a Photojournalist seems like a neat career. Just last night I was looking at some ancient rock pics from the 70's and saw a real hot picture of Ann Wilson around 1977 (well before she fell in love with pancakes)...after drooling at that pic I thought the photographer had one of the greatest jobs ever.

Graham_A_M
05-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by SJW

You get sick and tired of being in the middle of no-where.....FAST. I used to live up in Whitecourt (which isn't even that secluded, Edmonton is 1.5 hrs SE) and still, it sucked.
Thompson is even worse... You get tired of having to travel like crazy just to see your friends and family. I'd really try for Ponoka like what you're already doing.

Originally posted by banned3x
I love stringcheese, oooh and the color blue! (cant forget that one, THAT would be a doozie!)

Unknown303
05-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by SJW

I'm from Thompson too!! And yes it's cold as hell there...

Ponoka is probably your best bet as it's still fairly close to a few cities.

Gibson
05-30-2010, 12:34 PM
So some other positions opened up.

One in Jasper, which I would actually quite enjoy, and another in Mackenzie County in northern Alberta covering small towns like Fort Vermilion, La Crete and High Level.

Now, I have an interview for the position up north in about a week but I'm considering canceling it because it's so remote . Does anyone know what life is like up there?

SKR
05-31-2010, 07:14 AM
Never been to La Crete or Fort Vermilion, but I've worked a lot in High Level.

High Level is a long goddamn way from everything. It's 8 hours north of Edmonton, four hours north of Peace River and 2 hours north of Manning. It's also motherfucking cold in the winter, and lots of mosquitos in the summer.

But, it's not that bad a town. There's a BP's, a couple fast food places, dealerships for Ford, GM and Dodge, a couple grocery stores, a movie rental place, a Home Hardware and I think another hardware store, basically everything you need to live. It serves the Rainbow Lake and Zama oilfields so there's a lot of people going through that need services and supplies.

It's been a while since I've been there, so it's probably changed but probably for the better.

If you go up there, at no point should you ever drive through Assumption.

Gibson
05-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Haha, I ended up canceling the interview cause I think it would be so miserable up there. I kinda pooled together what everyone said and came up with the conclusion of "hell no."

What's up with Assumption?

badatusrnames
05-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Gibson

Haha, I've heard it's almost like Lord of the Flies up there, given that it's so secluded and remote.

Not sure if that's true or not.

Unknown303
05-31-2010, 09:44 PM

One in Jasper, which I would actually quite enjoy, and another in Mackenzie County in northern Alberta covering small towns like Fort Vermilion, La Crete and High Level.

Now, I have an interview for the position up north in about a week but I'm considering canceling it because it's so remote . Does anyone know what life is like up there?

Jasper is where I grew up for the majority of my childhood. Really incredible place to live if you have the chance.

SKR
05-31-2010, 10:58 PM

People in Assumption love people from Assumption. People from Assumption don't love people not from Assumption. If you're any race but native, so the story goes, and you go in you might not come back out.

I've heard that from a lot of people who have worked up there, but it could all be bullshit spread by douchebags like what I'm doing right now. But I won't take my chances.

Pahnda
05-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Small towns use boredom against your sanity... IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!

derran.m
06-01-2010, 10:20 AM

I see you have already cancelled the interview up there ... but just for reference, I just had a buddy move up to Spirit River a couple months ago ... beautiful country, better weather than down here (this year, anyways), and lots of fun to be had if you're a wilderness guy. Otherwise ... not much else to do up there other than farm, oil, drinking, and drugs ...

HuMz
06-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't mind living in Panoka or Wainwright if the money is good. Both towns are pretty friendly and I don't buy the whole you gotta be the whole redneck attitude and you better we with a local to be out at night. Wainwright for the most part is hard working families just trying to make a living.

Much safer places then almost anywhere in Calgary at night and I ended up at Wainwrights version of the stampede a few years and had a blast. (It's much bigger then you'd think)

Gibson
06-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Alright, the Ponoka position closes tomorrow so we'll see where this goes.

However, IF I don't get the job in Ponoka, yet another position opened up in Moose Jaw, SK. I've done a little bit of research and Moose Jaw actually seems like an OK place to live. Anyone have insight?

PS, to any of you that have answered you are all AWESOME for giving me a hand. Thanks!

SKR
06-04-2010, 07:57 AM
You'd like Moose Jaw more than Thompson, High Level, Prince Albert or North Battleford I bet.

I've only been through it, not actually into it, but I've heard it's a nice place. Half an hour to Regina too, which is good. I'd rather be half an hour to Regina than half an hour to Edmonton. Just sayin'.

Cos
06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by thager
i live about 30 mins away from north battleford and im in there about 2-3 times a week for shopping, its like going to a rez, lazy indians every where, they pretty much have the run of the town thats why we moved to a small town called wilkie, but stoon is only about 1hr south of N.b. and has all the big box stores, N.B. has nothing for good shopping .

haha my inlaws used to own the hotel in Wilkie, that whole side of the wifes family is there.

We have family in Riverhurst and have got into NB a few times. :eek: all I am going to say

Cos
06-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Photojournalist.

At this moment in time there are maybe 5 job postings across Canada, all of them in small towns. You gotta start somewhere in order to make a name for yourself so the bigger publications will pick you up. Trust me, I wouldn't even be considering it if I didn't have to.

And no, I won't be making good money in this profession. At all. Ever.

:dunno: Gotta do what you love I guess.

Thanks for the feedback on PA. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, although I did NOT get the job in Wainwright. I'm still crossing my fingers for Ponoka.

my buddy got offered a job in Pincher Creek to work for the Waterton paper. That would be a sweet gig. Check out the provincial and national gov's they always have people taking promotional photos. Maybe you could end up in some nice national park town.

HeavyD111
06-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Moose jaw is pretty good...smaller city but large enough to have everything you need including a decent sized college, a really cool active downtown area, and about 1/50th the crime rate of PA. I have always liked it there, and before I told SaskEnergy to stick it my next destination was going to be either MJ or Swift Current. I say try it.

HeavyD111
06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry this was a double post

angelaanna
06-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Gibson
06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Anyone heard anything about Lloydminster and a smaller town near it called Vermilion?

Also, a small town in Ontario called Woolwich/Wellesly.

I'm going to call it quits on Ponoka, it closed awhile ago and I haven't heard anything. :(

SKR
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Vermilion has an ag college, so there's a crowd of younger people there. But a lot of the girls will only be seen wearing Carharrts and will look similar to the livestock they're learning about.

Gibson
06-26-2010, 02:35 PM
OK, here we go!

FINALLY landed a full-time position for the Lloydminster Meridian Booster. I'm currently searching for a place to live, but there really isn't much and they're quite a bit more expensive than I would have thought.

Does anyone know if there are any pros/cons to living on either the SK or AB side? I figure it would be easier to live on the AB side just out of convenience.

thager
06-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Cos

haha my inlaws used to own the hotel in Wilkie, that whole side of the wifes family is there.

We have family in Riverhurst and have got into NB a few times. :eek: all I am going to say
wow small world

CUG
07-01-2010, 04:27 AM
OK, here we go!
Does anyone know if there are any pros/cons to living on either the SK or AB side? I figure it would be easier to live on the AB side just out of convenience.

Saskatchewan side gives you cheaper insurance. I'd look at the tax implications of either as well.

Also, if there's ever a war, and you're living on the Saskatchewan side, you'll be on the losing team by default.

I liked that town when I was there.

IggyB
07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I rented a room and then a townhouse at the College in Lloyd while working at the Upgrader

Gibson
07-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Saskatchewan side gives you cheaper insurance. I'd look at the tax implications of either as well.

Also, if there's ever a war, and you're living on the Saskatchewan side, you'll be on the losing team by default.

I liked that town when I was there.

Haha, got a kick out of that. I managed to find a 2 bedroom on the Alberta side. For some reason 1 bedrooms are impossible to find and expensive.

Originally posted by IggyB
I rented a room and then a townhouse at the College in Lloyd while working at the Upgrader

How did you find it?

legendboy
07-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
Out of the bunch, prince albert is probably the best. It's a small city, not a town and you're far enough north where you're out of the flat prairies and into the tree'd areas.

PA = pure native community

Been there once, will NEVER go back, NEVER

HeavyD111
07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

PA = pure native community

Been there once, will NEVER go back, NEVER

Ahahahahahahahahahaha it really does suck doesn't it? I have been stuck in this dump for 38 years, and am finally close to getting out. It just gets worse and worse. Big party for the OP for avoiding this place.