PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Acura CL

Dark_skater
05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
i was looking into buying a 2001 Acura CL but it seem like you don't see that many in Calgary. so i was wondering if you guys have any opinions on them and for the price are they a good deal? i am looking to spend around 10-12K on one. I have found a couple that fit the bill but i am not completely sure. or if you guys have any other suggestion instead for around that price tag i am open to anything.

psycoticclown
05-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Acura CL's are only for gangsters, if you get pulled over, be prepared to be treating as one.

911fever
05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
10 - 12k on an Acura CL? Forget it. Get something better than that.

Neil4Speed
05-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
10 - 12k on an Acura CL? Forget it. Get something better than that.

I might agree with that target price for a good one should be around 8-9k.

My cousin has the Type-S and its a great car. The seats are amazing, feels really quick and is very responsive, looks stellar, and fits 4 comfortably with room for luggage. In dash 6-CD changer is pretty nice. Its also good Calgary car as it is FWD pretty great in the winter.

It has been really reliable for him, however they are known to have transmission problems. Definitely get that aspect inspected carefully prior to a purchase. Build quality is pretty good.

Might be worth hunting down an 2003 CL-S with the LSD and the 6-Spd Manual. A rare beast, but a nice car.

Others to consider in that price range may be a BMW 330ci, and if your price range could go a bit higher is an Infiniti G35 Coupe.

911fever
05-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I might agree with that target price for a good one should be around 8-9k.

My cousin has the Type-S and its a great car. The seats are amazing, feels really quick and is very responsive, looks stellar, and fits 4 comfortably with room for luggage. In dash 6-CD changer is pretty nice. Its also good Calgary car as it is FWD pretty great in the winter.

It has been really reliable for him, however they are known to have transmission problems. Definitely get that aspect inspected carefully prior to a purchase. Build quality is pretty good.

Might be worth hunting down an 2003 CL-S with the LSD and the 6-Spd Manual. A rare beast, but a nice car.

Others to consider in that price range may be a BMW 330ci, and if your price range could go a bit higher is an Infiniti G35 Coupe.

I agree 100% with both of your suggestions, a 330ci and G35 coupe or both better cars for a little more in that price range.

core_upt
05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
they are nice, perform decent, but those automatic transmissions are shit. 2003s at least have the option for a 6-speed which is more reliable

bjstare
05-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Stay away from the auto (because of aforementioned shitty tranny issues). Can't comment on the other ones.

rp_guy
05-13-2010, 03:45 PM
i wrote something in an older thread..

but the auto trans is garbage. the only version to get is the 2003 type-s with the manual 6 speed.

depreciation really kills these cars. an RSX-S which retailed for 5k less sells used for 4-6k more today. a g35 or 330ci from the same year ('03) sells used for nearly 8-10k more. if you don't care for RWD then this is a good car.

i have the 6speed LSD. so far has been good. any questions ask me, or visit cl.acurazine.com.

if you really want an 01 with the auto, a decent price would be somewhere from 7-8k.

carzcraz
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I owned a CL-S for three years before my S and agree with most posters here. Mine was an automatic that did not cause me any grief but they're tranny's are known to be made of glass.

If you are set on one I would highly recommend the 6 speed! It drives like a whole different car compared to the auto! Fit and finish wise is pretty impressive either way!