PDA

View Full Version : LF: Temporary Construciton Labourer - 1-2months - Staffing Company?

whatthe
05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Are there any staffing companies that offer general labour help in Calgary? Ideally I'd like to hire from a staffing company since they will have already done background checks, etc..Any suggestions?

As for what I'm looking for, it's basically general labour type help.

Hang drywall (on basement)
Mud/Tape (I can have a friend do this on weekends if one doesn't possess this skill)
Hang drop down ceiling (with me)
General site clean-up
Some kind of experience with power tools (be able to cut some plywood, etc.)
Also potentially some shovelling/moving rocks/ landscaping.

I don't need the most experienced person on the planet. Just someone willing to work, not afraid to help lift drywall, go up/down stairs, has a pair of steel toe shoes/boots, doesn't mind getting little bit dirty, etc. and who needs temporary employment.

I'm pretty flexible on days off, etc. just as long as I get a heads up.

Jim Rome99
05-13-2010, 04:11 PM
It is going to cost you at least $25/hour for someone like that, probably closer to thirty.

Most staffing agencies will send you out crackheads that get paid cash daily.

frozenrice
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
We used to use an company called Labour Ready. Rates were generally in the range of what Jim said. You pay the company and they cover the WCB and admin etc. The main issue iwas wey never knew from day to day who would show up so if there was a guy that would actually do what you asked and pulled his weight, you weren't always guaranteed that he'd be there consistently.

Jim Rome99
05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the Labour Ready guys will only get ten bucks an hour from the twenty five or thirty you're paying the company to have them, so they don't give a toss. Your best bet is to put an ad up on kijiji. I have a friend who might be willing to work for cash, pm me if interested and I'll give you his number.

Grogador
05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Cash corner. Pick the cleanest and most sober of the bunch? Might luck out, might get stabbed... who knows...

GT.....O?
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Pm'd

2Valve0
05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Cash corner. Pick the cleanest and most sober of the bunch? Might luck out, might get stabbed... who knows...

This

whatthe
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Lol, prefer no stabbers... Dont need full background, just someone sane and willing to work. Students off for summer or whatever is fine.

Thats kind of what i was thinking on the staffing companies, but I havent had experience there myself.

Cash deals are difficult to do with books, but if someone wants to give me an invoice under their own name, then its out of my hands on what you claim.

Ven
05-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Cash corner for sure. 2 Russians for 12 hours was $100 each. Got them Tim's in the morning, Pizza73 at lunch, and a case of MGD when they were done. They worked steady, with good quality, and no problems. It was HEAVY manual landscape work too.

My Dad has used them in the past too when he sold a house and the new owners wanted to move up the posession date to the next day :eek: Same thing, 2 Polish dudes that apparently worked better than professional movers. Wrapped, tapped, and blanketed everything and actually gave a shit and were careful. And they didn't steal anything either :)

CA18-S13
05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I can do everything on your list...

And I'm not a crackhead or lick! haha

I need cash bad it hurts.....:(

PM me if you would like to know more details.