PDA

View Full Version : Summer Air conditioning thread

JordanLotoski
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey guys. I usually get asked about 10 times each sumer who i have for an AC guy. Well here is his contact info. His prices are pretty awesome. I have had over 30 clients use him in the past and were very satisfied with his install, price and service.

Gavie Rairie
403-888-1592

Looking like a hot summer as next week we will reach 26 degrees:thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a related question. I live in a condo and all of my windows are large and open door-style (some of them ARE doors). Are there any air conditioners that will work for me? It doesn't look like any are made with exhaust vents that can accommodate anything other than the standard up/down sliding window.

Even more frustrating is that my building has A/C everywhere EXCEPT in everyone's unit.

Supa Dexta
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you need a screen door, then just set up a fan to suck in hallway air.

:rofl:

lint
05-13-2010, 02:17 PM
+1 for Gavin. He did an awesome job on my install last summer. Can't wait to turn it on this weekend

Mitsu3000gt
05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Sounds like you need a screen door, then just set up a fan to suck in hallway air.

:rofl:

I've actually thought about running some dryer duct from the AC vent into my front door. An hour or so a day when i get home from work should suffice haha.

JordanLotoski
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have a related question. I live in a condo and all of my windows are large and open door-style (some of them ARE doors). Are there any air conditioners that will work for me? It doesn't look like any are made with exhaust vents that can accommodate anything other than the standard up/down sliding window.

Even more frustrating is that my building has A/C everywhere EXCEPT in everyone's unit.

Call Gavin, he will be able to help you out with any questions you may have

sputnik
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
A/C is useful maybe 10-15 days of the year in Calgary.

QuasarCav
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Thanks Sputnik.

Don't you remember the good old days when there was no A/C and cooling down meant a nice tall glass of iced tea at Grandma's house.

lint
05-14-2010, 11:04 AM

Yah, because everyone lives in the same house, with the same air flow, same sun exposure right? And if you don't need it, no one does.

If you don't need A/C then don't install it and stay out of the thread.

jonnycat
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Mine has been off and on for 3 weeks already, and is about to be left on for the duration of summer. (Lethbridge)

I get all the afternoon sun right in my picture window. Before I got A/C, if it was 35C out, my living room was 35C.

max_boost
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by lint

Yah, because everyone lives in the same house, with the same air flow, same sun exposure right? And if you don't need it, no one does.

If you don't need A/C then don't install it and stay out of the thread.

:rofl: :werd:

Mitsu3000gt
05-14-2010, 11:18 AM

If I had AC it would be on when necessary for at least 5 months of the year, May through Sept or so. I love a cold house, especially when I'm sleeping. That is a big thing I miss from when I lived at home, I could go sleep in the basement where it was nice and cool :D . Now that I am 4 floors up in a condo with big windows, its hot as balls on even a regular day.

Tik-Tok
05-14-2010, 11:32 AM
My west wall is unblocked, and when the sun starts setting, it turns my house into a clay oven. It's always nice and cool in there until about 6pm, then it's roasting. I had one of those portable ones for the summer, it was WAY too noisy to sleep beside, so I'd turn it on a 2 hours before bed, and turn it off to sleep. It worked alright, but got sick of it, and returned it to Home Depot after the heat wave, saying the "Mightier" button didn't work (the panel was hilariously direct translated from an Asian language)

I wish I had the money to spend on a forced air one, but if I had the money for A/C, I'd probably get a hot tub instead :rofl:

reese
05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
awesome... i'll give him a shout in the next couple of days.

kaput
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Mitsu3000gt
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by kaput

I've got a similar situation. If you don't have dbag's living on your floor, just open up the door to your unit and to the balcony and let the cool air flow through from the hallway. Stand in the doorway for extra satisfaction. Usually just a few minutes is enough to flush out the hot air for an hour or two. Repeat as necessary!

I have a balcony off my master bdrm and a balcony off the living room in my condo, and if I open both doors I can get a wicked breeze through. The problem with that is when it's still 25 degrees out at night time, that wont work anymore, and neither will a fan. I haven't tried it yet with the front door open as well as one of the balcony doors, that is a good idea. Better than running some ducting from the AC outlet into my front door haha.

Its not even THAT bad yet, but when it starts to really get hot outside I have a feeling I'm going to be sweating my bag off 24/7 unless I find a solution.

InRich
05-14-2010, 01:44 PM
so do beyonders get any kind of a discount by using this guy? you should get at least a portion, shit you give him enough work

lint
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Gavin's price was ~60% of what I was quoted by the Service Experts last year.

JordanLotoski
05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by InRich
so do beyonders get any kind of a discount by using this guy? you should get at least a portion, shit you give him enough work

They will get a great deal. I get nothing back. Hes a client of mine so I like to refer business his way when I can.

max_boost
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

They will get a great deal. I get nothing back. Hes a client of mine so I like to refer business his way when I can.

Yeah he's an awesome guy to deal with. Answers all your questions. Just straight up and honest. He's installing the a/c unit for me today so I'm excited haha Too bad the weather is shit right now. And yeah, his prices are wicked. Definitely cheaper than going anywhere else. :werd:

JordanLotoski
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Yeah he's an awesome guy to deal with. Answers all your questions. Just straight up and honest. He's installing the a/c unit for me today so I'm excited haha Too bad the weather is shit right now. And yeah, his prices are wicked. Definitely cheaper than going anywhere else. :werd:

Good to hear :thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
07-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Bump. looks like weather may get nice finally:burnout:

Cos
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Question for anyone, can you install central air in a townhouse? I have only seen the individual room units or the ones that need to be installed outside (which I obviously cant do).

JordanLotoski
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Question for anyone, can you install central air in a townhouse? I have only seen the individual room units or the ones that need to be installed outside (which I obviously cant do).

Sure it would have to sit in your backyard though

s2k_boi
07-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Could be wrong, but I'm assuming you would have to get approval from the condo board as it sits outside. ie. just like satellite dishes (at least when I had a townhouse it was like that)

Masked Bandit
07-23-2010, 04:47 PM
It will depend on the condo bylaws but I think a lot of them will restrict unit owners from installing A/C because of the noise of cheaper models. You can buy A/C units that are crazy quiet but they are very expensive.

Cos
07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah I think I am SOL. I was hoping they had a basement unit and all that needed to be installed was some venting.

max_boost
07-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Good to hear :thumbsup:

I tell you I have no clue why I didn't get this earlier. Best mod ever to a house hahaha

ExtraSlow
07-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I've loving the AC that Gavin installed at my place in June.