PDA

View Full Version : Oil Rig Trucking?

themack89
05-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Anyone recommend some good companies to apply for trucking on an Oil rig? I'm doing my Class 1 road test tomorrow and have really only scoped out Big Eagle as promising work opportunities.

Anyone know of any other company that's good?

Ven
05-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I think you're gonna need some seat time before you start hauling million dollar loads in and under terrible conditions. I see dry van Ontario runs in your immediate future.

Jay911
05-14-2010, 06:23 AM
From the looks of the Superstar Drivers of the Oilpatch facebook group, Big Eagle has positions opening every day, no experience required... :D

Hi-Psi
05-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Big Eagle is everywhere up north. TUC's is pretty popular and so is Heck's.

Hope that helps a little.

ExtraSlow
05-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Depends on what kind of trucking you are talking about. Hope you don't mind spending a lot of time in fort nelson and other exotic locales. The best drivers get their pick of the best locations. Also, most of the driving positions in the oilpatch aren't just driving. You drive to a location then you work, then drive home. Very few are unloaded by someone else and then drive straight home.

- Rig moves - the most specialized trucking n the industry, no reputable company is hiring inexperienced drivers. The Big companies are all divisions of Flint Transco and Mullen.
- Vac truck - The driving is relatively easy, but pay is low and companies like big eagle have a pretty bad reputation for employee retention. People seem to work for them to get their foot in the door, then quit as soon as they can. The work is shitty on location too.
- Dry mud products - Formula Powell etc
-Pipe - Allstar trucking etc
- Cement - Companies like BJ, Trican, Halliburton and Sanjel are often hiring.
- Produced Fluid Haulings - Gibsons, Plains etc.

One good way to get one of these jobs is to drive around Nisku and Fort St john and look at the roadside signs.
Didn't see much for trucking jobs on rigzone dot com

If you have any questions about a specific job, I have watched a lot of different people work, so I've at least got a feel for it.

Cos
05-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I would get some experience doing long haul if you can handle it. My uncle (two uncles who drive actually) have different routes.

one lives in kelowna and drives for Glenco (now Bison) and goes Kelowna -> Van -> Seattle -> Florida (stop somewhere int here) -> NY -> Ontario -> Man -> Ab home

He does that every week but do they ever pay him a lot.

Other uncle drives out of Van down the west coast. Try the grocery stores (coop, safeway, etc) or tim hortons?

themack89
05-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Should have narrowed it down a bit... Because a few of these ideas are enticing.

My initial vision was get a job stationed on a rig for 14/7 rotations and make at least the same I was making as a leasehand (10k / month).

But really the bottom line is the money, my girlfriend is already prepared for me not to be home that often so I just need to start accumulating $. Preferably at that same rate from rigging.

Don't care how shitty the work is! Been there done that, it don't bother me.

I'm really curious how much Cement truckers get paid.

Supa Dexta
05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by themack89
my girlfriend is already prepared for me not to be home that often so I just need to start accumulating $.

Yes I got the call, she will be in good hands. :thumbsup:

themack89
05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Yes I got the call, she will be in good hands. :thumbsup:

Well she is 20 and I am 21... We both understand we gotta make some headway in life before doing anything really serious. lol

ExtraSlow
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm really curious how much Cement truckers get paid.
If you've worked lease, then you know a little about this stuff. No idea on the wages, but bulk cement haulers have a pretty sweet gig. Call Trican and BJ and ask?

tom_9109
05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Try to get in with a Frac crew. You'll start on sand truck but thats easy. You'll learn fast and the pay is reasonable.

themack89
05-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm looking for best pay possible at my level! Come on people! :rofl: ;)

blueToy
05-14-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm looking for best pay possible at my level! Come on people! :rofl: ;)

Curious as to what level you're at ?

Even if you have a perfect drivers abstract ( which is what I'm assuming ) , starting out with a class 1 and no experience is gonna put you in the position that you'll need to impress them just to hire you and take a chance . Doesn't beyond have a long haul driver in here already ? Rat Fink or something ?

By cement truckers .... do you mean local cement haulers like Burnco or Inland , or bulk dry powder cement from like Lafarge in Exshaw ? OR ... are you thinking about hauling up to the rigs etc ?

Rat Fink
05-14-2010, 05:57 PM

themack89
05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by blueToy

Curious as to what level you're at ?

Even if you have a perfect drivers abstract ( which is what I'm assuming ) , starting out with a class 1 and no experience is gonna put you in the position that you'll need to impress them just to hire you and take a chance . Doesn't beyond have a long haul driver in here already ? Rat Fink or something ?

By cement truckers .... do you mean local cement haulers like Burnco or Inland , or bulk dry powder cement from like Lafarge in Exshaw ? OR ... are you thinking about hauling up to the rigs etc ?

Looking for Rig work (because that generally leads to the most pay, with the overtime and subsistence and all).

Yes, perfect drivers abstract with a Class 1 and zero commercial experience.

By cement truckers I mean bulk cement haulers for well cementing.

So in short. Yes looking for best paying oil rig trucking. Absolutely do not care how far I'll have to go for it because I enjoy the highway drives.

@ Rat Fink.. Do you mind if I ask how much money you made before and after taxes? You can PM me!

Rat Fink
05-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Rat Fink
05-15-2010, 11:28 AM

themack89
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I think I've decided to stick with Water Hauler..

General consensus is the most hours out of all of them.

Hi-Psi
05-19-2010, 01:33 PM
My initial vision was get a job stationed on a rig for 14/7 rotations and make at least the same I was making as a leasehand (10k / month).

I'm just curious, what company was paying you $10k/month as a leasehand?

I've been working up north as a medic for 5 years and never have I seen a leasehand make anywhere near that much in a month. I would say the most a leasehand is making is $7k/month and that's on the high end of the spectrum.

themack89
05-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi

I'm just curious, what company was paying you $10k/month as a leasehand?

I've been working up north as a medic for 5 years and never have I seen a leasehand make anywhere near that much in a month. I would say the most a leasehand is making is $7k/month and that's on the high end of the spectrum.

By month I mean 4 working weeks.. so 28 days. Was making about 365 / day after taxes with Horizon Drilling.

Hi-Psi
05-20-2010, 07:33 AM

By month I mean 4 working weeks.. so 28 days. Was making about 365 / day after taxes with Horizon Drilling.

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick or anything but even $365 after tax is a little bit of an overshot. Most leasehands would be lucky to clear $280/day after tax. Leasehands get shit for pay.

SKR
05-20-2010, 10:17 AM
$23/hour x 12 hours/day + $140/day sub = shit pay?

Hi-Psi
05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by SKR
$23/hour x 12 hours/day + $140/day sub = shit pay?

I wasn't figuring in any sub cus in most cases people are in camps and thus do not get sub. And as it stands, with that sub you'd be taking home $7-9k after tax depending on how your overtime works. That's also figuring 28 days which no-one works that sort of rotation, usually the most you'll see in a month is 21 days.

All I was trying to do was sort out what was meant by him making $10k/month as a leasehand as that is next to impossible. And as far as leasehands go, they get the shittiest pay for the shittiest job.

themack89
05-20-2010, 01:49 PM

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick or anything but even $365 after tax is a little bit of an overshot. Most leasehands would be lucky to clear $280/day after tax. Leasehands get shit for pay.

$23 x 8 hours regular = $184
$34.5 x 4 hours overtime = $138
Tax-free $140 / day sub

184 + 138 + 140 = $462/day Gross

After tax is roughly $365

EDIT

BTW Everyone I got a job offering with Halliburton doing cementing.. Base pay is $2700/month salary plus the bonuses though. Anyone think they got an idea of how bonus structure would work?

Hi-Psi
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
$23 x 8 hours regular = $184
$34.5 x 4 hours overtime = $138
Tax-free $140 / day sub

184 + 138 + 140 = $462/day Gross

After tax is roughly $365

Yeah I didn't figure in any sub like I said in my previous post. Without a sub(which most don't get) the leasehands don't get close to $10k. Anyways, hope you find yourself a decent trucking job.

Keep your eye out, work seems to be staying pretty busy all summer long and could be a very busy winter.

themack89
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah I didn't figure in any sub like I said in my previous post. Without a sub(which most don't get) the leasehands don't get close to $10k. Anyways, hope you find yourself a decent trucking job.

Keep your eye out, work seems to be staying pretty busy all summer long and could be a very busy winter.

lol You have no idea how lucky I really was..

1) No labor experience
2) No knowledge of oil rigs
3) No contacts in oil industry
4) Dropped off resume just because I happened to see the office
5) Barely passed physical
6) Got a position because another guy lost his finger.

:rofl:

SKR
05-20-2010, 05:42 PM
BTW Everyone I got a job offering with Halliburton doing cementing.. Base pay is $2700/month salary plus the bonuses though. Anyone think they got an idea of how bonus structure would work?

Get ready for lots of paperwork and stupidity. I'm in a different PSL or division or whatever you want to call it, but I think everybody with the exception of Security and maybe Sperry has to deal with the same dumb ideas.

No, I don't know the bonus structure for cementing.

themack89
05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by SKR

Get ready for lots of paperwork and stupidity. I'm in a different PSL or division or whatever you want to call it, but I think everybody with the exception of Security and maybe Sperry has to deal with the same dumb ideas.

No, I don't know the bonus structure for cementing.

BLEH MEH..

I took the job. Gonna see how it all works out, if after 6 or 8 months I'm still not too impressed at least I'll have a fortune 500 on the resume.

SKR
05-20-2010, 09:00 PM

BLEH MEH..

I took the job. Gonna see how it all works out, if after 6 or 8 months I'm still not too impressed at least I'll have a fortune 500 on the resume.

Cool, congratulations. I shouldn't lead off with such a pessimistic welcome.

themack89
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by SKR

Cool, congratulations. I shouldn't lead off with such a pessimistic welcome.

Thanks! You working in GP?

SKR
05-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Thanks! You working in GP?

No, currently on loan to the US. When I get back I'll be working anywhere in Alberta south of Calgary, plus all of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Or, if there's nothing there, GP. But I hope that's not the case.

johnboy27
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM

BLEH MEH..

I was gonna tell you that Sanjel out of Red Deer is hiring and with aclass one would likely start you out around 3g a month salary + bonus's ( for frac that is). You would have to commute to Red Deer until at least August but after that we are supposed to be back in northeatsern BC for at least 3-4 months and you would be able to fly right out of Calgary to Fort Nelson. Super easy work , rig in once and don't rig out for 3 months. Do some maintanence every 24 hours and one full 24 hour maintanence day every week, other than that just sit there and pump jobs. Gravy work.

derran.m
06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
:hijack: Sorry for hijacking, but there seems to be alot of knowledgeable folks in here ...
I've been looking into this kind of thing, just not too indepth ... I have no commercial driving experience, and only my class 5 ... looking for a co that would train me in class 1 and hire me, for exactly what OP is in... just a more entry level position. I know of certain companies (Bison, Roberge, etc) that will train you if you sign a 1 year contract to stick with them. I am willing to do that, but more interested in oilfield instead of regular highway trucking. Being in the office end of the industry, I am more interested in that end of things, for now ... later on once I have some experience I would like to get into long haul, but not yet ...
Any ideas?

Black Gts
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Start as a swamper on a moving company, but that could take a bit longer. You could get your class 1 start as a swamper and they might put you in the drivers seat a bit at a time.

On a sidenote if you go the well servicing route and bust your ass, you need your class 1 as you move up the ladder, so they will pay your training.