PDA

View Full Version : One dead, two critically injured after cyclists hit in Quebec

urban.one
05-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Not a lot of details yet. Terrible story and as a cyclist it makes me cringe.

Rougemont, Que. — The Canadian Press
Published on Friday, May. 14, 2010 11:38AM EDT

Last updated on Friday, May. 14, 2010 12:39PM EDT

A vehicle ran down six cyclists, killing one, as they rode along a rural highway, leaving a gruesome scene where scraps of twisted metal were scattered along the pavement Friday.

Provincial police said two other cyclists were seriously injured, and resuscitation efforts had been performed.

The accident occurred in Rougemont, Que., just south of Montreal. It caused a shutdown of debris-strewn Highway 112.

“We fear for the lives of three cyclists, and for the three others we're talking major injuries,” Sgt. Claude Denis said earlier Friday, before the first death was confirmed.

There were speed bikes, helmets, sunglasses and even a sports watch scattered across a large distance while orange police tape separated the road from the neighbouring municipality.

Sgt. Denis said it wasn't yet clear whether the driver of the vehicle was being held responsible: “For the moment it's too early to conclude anything.”

The cyclists included five women and one man who were quickly evacuated to hospital.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-14-2010, 11:45 AM
RIP

GoChris
05-14-2010, 11:50 AM
How fucking stupid of a driver do you have to be to hit someone on the side of the road. :banghead:

Get off the fucking phone, holy shit. I want to ram my vehicle into some of these douches I see texting the ENTIRE time they are driving.

dirtsniffer
05-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
How fucking stupid of a driver do you have to be to hit someone on the side of the road. :banghead:

Get off the fucking phone, holy shit. I want to ram my vehicle into some of these douches I see texting the ENTIRE time they are driving.

someone? sounds like six people on bicycles were involved

who said it was a cell phone?

maybe even a bicycle was being careless and caused the accident?

the speed limit on the road was 90 km/h, so it was pretty risky route, and apparently there was a gravel bike path along the highway, but the highway didn't have paved shoulders. So as road racers they were forced onto the road.

edit:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/05/14/quebec-cycling-accident.html

RIP to the THREE deceased

top_speed
05-14-2010, 08:49 PM
this is why i never like the idea of sharing roads with bicycles,
Bicycles are meant to be on the sidewalk.

atgilchrist
05-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Generally where you ride road bikes, there aren't any sidewalks.

RIP :(

banned3x
05-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Ya I heard about this crazy!!! Reminds me of what happened in Mexico with the motorcycles. RIP

FiveFreshFish
05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Odds are that the pickup truck driver is at fault.

flipstah
05-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh man, that's a brutal sight. As a fellow cyclist, that makes me cringe.

RIP and before I judge, I'd like to know who is at fault first.

Redlyne_mr2
05-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Cycling along the side of a Quebece highway is complete suicide, reminds me of all the fools cycling through Springbank. It's just a matter of time before something like what happened in Quebec happens here. :(

FiveFreshFish
05-15-2010, 09:54 AM
^^^ Already happened here. Two American cyclists killed near Lake Louise in 2003.

8Ball
05-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Cycling along the side of a Quebece highway is complete suicide, reminds me of all the fools cycling through Springbank. It's just a matter of time before something like what happened in Quebec happens here. :(

news had stats of ~700 die each year.

Calgary will have a few this year

ekguy
05-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't road bike but seriously doesn't matter if you're a biker or not (i am) it's still sad to hear about something like this.

RIP to the deceased and hopefully to recovery for the remaining three.

Vagabond142
05-15-2010, 05:28 PM
It's stories like this that make me happy that the City is actually building several new road widenings up here in the NW, but SPECIFICALLY to make room for dedicated bike lanes on routes such as 14th St, Morley Trail, Charleswood Dr, etc.

RIP to the 3 fellow cyclists :(

flipstah
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM
According to CTV, it was apparently caused by cruise control... :thumbsdow

ragu
05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
If you can't keep up with flow of traffic then you shouldn't be on the road. Esp. on highway, thats complete suicide.

ddduke
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ragu
If you can't keep up with flow of traffic then you shouldn't be on the road. Esp. on highway, thats complete suicide.

+1, I have to drive down sprinkbank, old banff coach and all the rest of the rural roads on a daily basis which are covered in blind corners and I constantly see these guys riding in the middle of the road making it dangerous for everyone.

If these guys are allowed to ride bikes on the roads then I should be allowed to ride my quads. Atleast my quads can do near highway speeds.

2EFNFAST
05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
I hate all cyclists and want to see them squished.

When I was first learning to drive, my dad and I were going down 22x and there was a pack of them on the side of the road - the lead guy lost control or something, went down, and took the entire pack with him. Had to have been 20 or 30 of them laying on the road.

By the time I stopped I was literally feet from running over the whole pile of them. If I'd hesitated in braking (and keep in mind this was like the second time i'd ever driven a car) my life would be so screwed because of them right now.

I hate cyclists with a passion. :whipped:

Khyron
05-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I hate all cyclists and want to see them squished.

So basically you're bragging about wanting to be a serial killer. Why not just get an axe and head to a kindergarden and kill some kids? Just random people that you don't know, why not?

Do you road ragers get mad when you come up on a tractor or a loaded truck or any other piece of legal farm machinery driving in the road? An RV? What about the people in Springbank who ride their horses? Gonna murder them as well?

2EFNFAST
05-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

So basically you're bragging about wanting to be a serial killer. Why not just get an axe and head to a kindergarden and kill some kids? Just random people that you don't know, why not?

Do you road ragers get mad when you come up on a tractor or a loaded truck or any other piece of legal farm machinery driving in the road? An RV? What about the people in Springbank who ride their horses? Gonna murder them as well?

My problem isn't slow moving vehicles. It's morons on tiny pieces of metal who think they own the road (which is 99% of cyclists).

I hate cyclists. Period. :)

dandia89
05-17-2010, 02:08 AM
If I'd hesitated in braking (and keep in mind this was like the second time i'd ever driven a car) my life would be so screwed because of them right now.
sorry but i find this part absoutley hilarious:rofl:

DayGlow
05-17-2010, 06:15 AM

My problem isn't slow moving vehicles. It's morons on tiny pieces of metal who think they own the road (which is 99% of cyclists).

and you sound the exact opposite.

Khyron
05-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Go back and read your driving manual. The bike legaly = car on the road. And yes, bike messengers can give a bad rep blowing lights and cutting all over the place but those are not rec road cyclists.

And as for your traumatic "close call" when learning - if you go flying around a blind corner and there's ANY obstruction - a brick wall, a herd of sheep, a bunch of cyclists or maybe a cops/paramedics cleaning an accident, you're supposed to be able to stop without going into a panic slide. Be in control of your vehicle instead of blaming the environment.

911fever
05-17-2010, 10:53 AM

+1 no kidding

2EFNFAST
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Go back and read your driving manual. The bike legaly = car on the road. And yes, bike messengers can give a bad rep blowing lights and cutting all over the place but those are not rec road cyclists.

And as for your traumatic "close call" when learning - if you go flying around a blind corner and there's ANY obstruction - a brick wall, a herd of sheep, a bunch of cyclists or maybe a cops/paramedics cleaning an accident, you're supposed to be able to stop without going into a panic slide. Be in control of your vehicle instead of blaming the environment.

Gimmie a break.

14yrs old (or maybe 15, I don't remember).

Driving down 22x. It's a straight road.

There's a pack of cyclists ahead (And when I say pack, I mean atleast 20)

Driving along, suddenly the lead cyclist goes down and they ALL crash into him.

Within like 4 or 5 seconds there are 20 people laying ALL OVER THE ROAD.

You're not speeding or driving erracticly. Acctually, much slower because this is your 2nd time driving a car ever.

And you're trying to tell me if I ran them over it would have been my fault? :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

All I had to have been doing was like 10kph faster (which probably would have put me at the speed limit then) or 4 seconds later in time, and everything would be vastly different.

13yrs later and nothing's changed - you've got dumb-ass fvcken cyclists riding down narrow country roads 3-a-breast on a road that can barely take 2 cars as is. Fvck them. Period.

speedog
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
If you can't keep up with flow of traffic then you shouldn't be on the road. Esp. on highway, thats complete suicide. Not trying to nit pick, but what happens if the majority of the flowing traffic is cyclists?

DayGlow
05-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Gimmie a break.

14yrs old (or maybe 15, I don't remember).

Driving down 22x. It's a straight road.

There's a pack of cyclists ahead (And when I say pack, I mean atleast 20)

Driving along, suddenly the lead cyclist goes down and they ALL crash into him.

Within like 4 or 5 seconds there are 20 people laying ALL OVER THE ROAD.

You're not speeding or driving erracticly. Acctually, much slower because this is your 2nd time driving a car ever.

And you're trying to tell me if I ran them over it would have been my fault? :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

All I had to have been doing was like 10kph faster (which probably would have put me at the speed limit then) or 4 seconds later in time, and everything would be vastly different.

13yrs later and nothing's changed - you've got dumb-ass fvcken cyclists riding down narrow country roads 3-a-breast on a road that can barely take 2 cars as is. Fvck them. Period.

people in cars have freak accidents as well. Or does this happen every time a bike is on the road?

spikerS
05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
it is the mentality cyclists have that bothers me.

On my wife's birthday, driving down 14th street, I actually called 9-1-1 because of a cyclist that was riding down the middle of the lanes. She was riding one of those collapsable mini bikes, with what looked like a piece of crown moulding extending 20 feet out from the back of her bike with a yellow plastic bag on the end.

Granted it is a 2 lane road. People would get around her, and then in-front and get stopped at the next light. She would then ride in between the cars to the front of the line, and then when the light turns green, do 25 kph down the middle of the road again, forcing everyone to go around her again.

I REALLY wanted to make her a smear on the road, but cyclists are for the most part a bad breed that should not be sharing the road with vehicles.

DayGlow
05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I've seen more crazies in cars than on bikes though.

Super_Geo
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I ride my road bike on the road when there's 2 lanes and the speed limit is 50kph. For the most part I don't have to ride on 1 lane roads cause there are so many bike paths.

And no, I don't pussyfoot it and try to stay as far to the right as possible, I generally stay near the middle of the lane. It's the people who are timid on their road bikes who ride too far to the curb who get hit when cars try to squeeze by them. If you ride in the middle of the lane then it forces the cars to pass you in the other lane, which is way safer for everyone.

I try to keep it considerate though... on a flat road and with no headwind or if I have a tailwind I can maintain 25-40kph. I've hit 60-70kph going downhill, so for those sections I'm fully comfortable being in traffic, and if there's a long uphill section I'll pull up on the sidewalk cause I'm only going 15-25kph.

There's the occasional cunt who'll buzz by as close as possible, but for the most part drivers in Calgary are fairly considerate.

I mean, as a driver, nothing gets my goat more than someone riding down a one lane road at 15kph. That's bullshit... but if it's two lanes, and there's someone on a bike doing 30-something-kph... come on guys, it's barely a hold-up.

Edit: And just to be clear, I'm not trying to defend the douchebag cyclists out there... I've had to deal with them while driving around as well, and it pisses me off just as much as anyone else. I'm just saying that not all cyclists are self-centered assholes.

Vagabond142
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM

based purely on technicalities: yes

The following vehicle behind another vehicle is at fault by default under the law, unless the lead vehicle was demonstrably driven in an offensive fashion (drunk driver, aggressive sideswipe, etc) with witnesses available to corroborate.

XylathaneGTR
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by spikers
it is the mentality cyclists have that bothers me.

Word...
Last year I was sitting at the three way stop at Unwin Rd and Uxbridge Dr, NW. (I'm on Unwin, turning left onto Uxbridge). It's generally a pretty busy area at all times (close proximity to both the University and FMC and is often used as a short cut for people avoiding traffic in the area, like myself...there's schools and shit around there too).

So anyway, there's a car at each lane of the three way stop, so we behave as we should at this intersection and when it's time for me to make my turn, some dickface cyclist just cruises down Uxbridge right through the stop sign with out even blinking, crossing directly in my path and continuing along his way like nothing happened. Like, if I wasn't paying attention...his leg would be stuck in the wheel well of my car.

Just a couple weeks ago, too...I arrived a bit early for "BodyWorlds" so I decided to wander around the area for a while to kill some time. So i'm standing at a marked cross walk, waiting to cross the street.
So the signal turns and it is now the proper time for me to get my pedestrian ass across the street in a timely fashion. I was raised right and taught to always look before stepping out into the street...so I do. A good three seconds AFTER this light changed and the signal turned, some bitch on a bicycle goes right through it in the righthand lane (as in...directly infront of me).

She looked me directly in the face and said "SORRY" as she whipped on by...OH COME THE FUCK ON! Cars are able to stop for yellow lights and for pedestrians in cross walks...this lady can't? I mean, shit...if I just stepped out like some retard and had my iPod in or something, she would have either crashed right into me or had to bust some crazy ass evasive action and probably would have smashed her face into the signal post I was standing next to or another vehicle...

I know not all cyclists are like this, but I see wayyyy too many who feel that they own the roads, yet the rules of the roads do not apply to them. I don't fly into a rage everytime I see a cyclist...but fuck some of them pull some dumb shit and does it ever annoy me.