PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Lexus is300 sportcross

tobypaddock
05-15-2010, 10:53 AM
As the thread title says Im looking at getting an 02+ Lexus IS300 Sportcross.

I've done quite a bit of research but there is not a ton of information out there.

I have only ever seen a sportcross once in real life and was wondering if anyone owns/has owned one before?

I need a wagon/hatch as I have a pretty big dog (100 lb presa canario) and Im worried there may not be enough room in the back for her - she actually fit in the back of '08 GTI but that was when she was closer to 80lbs.

basically, I'm looking for anyones opinions good or bad lets hear it. :)

if anyone has one or knows someone who does and would be willing to let me check it out/pick their brain about it I would be hugely grateful!

thanks

Redlyne_mr2
05-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Ya sweet cars, super super rare and usually sell for a premium because of their rarity. Basically the exact same car as the standard IS300. No real serious issues unless the car has been abused it's entire life. Only came in auto.

HondaKid
05-15-2010, 12:01 PM
As above, uber rare (3,000 or so sold in the USA) and I think I have seen less than four in person (Victoria, BC had at least 2). I was looking at buying one as well in 2008 (still like the idea), found these to be most informative:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/08/13/used-vehicle-review-lexus-is300-2001-2005.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2002/01/10/test-drive-2002-lexus-is-300-sportcross.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2002/01/10/test-drive-2002-lexus-is300-sportcross.htm

About the only one I can find for sale (high KMS):

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2002-Lexus-IS300-Sportcross-W0QQAdIdZ203164652

In the end, you are going to need to look at another vehicle as this one is so rare. Many alternatives out there in the wagon area, SUVs would fit the bill as well. Once you know your budget, post an open Q asking for best vehicle for your needs.

tobypaddock
05-15-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks guys, Ive actually found quite a few in the states with 60-80 k miles for the $10-13k range.

is there any problems importing these?

yeah it sucks that there is only auto :thumbsdow

I have a SUV right now and want to get rid of the thirsty v8, but like i said, need room for the dog - i was looking at Audi allroads too but i think repairs would be frequent/expensive - and not quite as fun to drive

dirtsniffer
05-15-2010, 01:29 PM
how about a volvo wagon?

turbo, manual, wagon.. check, check, check

tobypaddock
05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
how about a volvo wagon?

turbo, manual, wagon.. check, check, check

yeah looked at those too, not bad but im looking for something a little more performance oriented, and Im just not a huge fan of the styling.

Drsuce
05-15-2010, 06:04 PM
9-3 sport combi? turbo 4 cyl or turbo v6.... lotsa fun too!

TorqueDog
05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by tobypaddock
yeah looked at those too, not bad but im looking for something a little more performance oriented, and Im just not a huge fan of the styling. Bleh, avoid the Lexus IS then. Boring drive, RWD that feels like it's FWD. Just awful.

tobypaddock
05-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Bleh, avoid the Lexus IS then. Boring drive, RWD that feels like it's FWD. Just awful.

just curious, did u own one? Because I've never heard anything like this about the IS. It has gotten tremendous praise for it's handling.

Neil4Speed
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM

is there any problems importing these?

I imported my Lexus about a year ago and it was really quite easy. Just check RIV and make sure it can be imported.

tobypaddock
05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I imported my Lexus about a year ago and it was really quite easy. Just check RIV and make sure it can be imported.

thanks. yeah its an accepted vehicle so it should be a piece of cake!

TorqueDog
05-16-2010, 12:49 PM
just curious, did u own one? Because I've never heard anything like this about the IS. It has gotten tremendous praise for it's handling. Driven a number of them, stock and modified. On the 'Sporty' scale, the IS ranks awfully low as far as I'm concerned. And the extra weight of the Sportcross isn't going to help that.

tentacles
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
ust curious, did u own one? Because I've never heard anything like this about the IS. It has gotten tremendous praise for it's handling.

Praise from who? :confused:

7.4s 0-60 is "performance oriented"? You're going to be getting walked by Civic Sis at the stoplight.

tobypaddock
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by tentacles

Praise from who? :confused:

7.4s 0-60 is "performance oriented"? You're going to be getting walked by Civic Sis at the stoplight.

since when did 0-60 have ANYTHING to do with handling?

who did it get praise from?

Motor Trend finalist for car of the year

Japanese car of the year

every review I've read has given praise that the handling is close, but not quite as good as the 3 series - the benchmark of its class

Im not saying its a ferarri, Im aware that Im in the market for a station wagon not a sports car and there are 1000's of vehicles that will "walk it" at a stoplight - luckily im not buying the car for street racing.

as far as i can tell its one of my better options for the category in terms of performance, reliabilty, value and convenience.

Redlyne_mr2
05-16-2010, 05:21 PM
It's no M5 but the IS300 is an awesome car compared to what was offered in it's day. It was basically one of the last excellent handling Toyotas ever to be made. :) I had a red manual IS300 with LSD, I could get it sideways and hold it sideways on exit ramps on stock suspension.
pZgmpdLpzVk

tobypaddock
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
It's no M5 but the IS300 is an awesome car compared to what was offered in it's day. It was basically one of the last excellent handling Toyotas ever to be made. :) I had a red manual IS300 with LSD, I could get it sideways and hold it sideways on exit ramps on stock suspension.

Did the car feel underpowered to you?

sounds like fun tho - I will definitely be getting one with the LSD - shitty that the 5spd doesnt come on the sportcross tho.

911fever
05-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I had an 03 IS300 for a demo for a short while and let me tell you, it was a nice fun car to drive. It's manual transmission didn't have the perfect shifts that you have in the competition, the BMW 330ci, but it's no slushbox either. It handled very tight and had little body roll, while allowing the car to be taken fast on tight turns. The engine felt peppy and faster than it actually was, plus the car sounded great at WOT. With an SRT intake and Race ECU, this car will get 22hp, and 25tq, and sound a lot better. Great fun to drive on a track!

Positives:
- Fun to drive, even the auto felt well balanced
- Super reliable, and amazing Lexus resale
- Car felt well built and sturdy, RWD platform
- Could hold corners well and would go sideways nicely
- Interior was pretty cool, gauges were goofy but arguably a nicer touch than the plane jane boring BMW's gauges
- Can have LSD

Negatives:
- Needs more tq, more hp for faster 0-60 times, quicker launches.
- Better transmission that's more aggressive for auto and manual
- Sucks in winter even with decent snow tires (google it if you don't believe me)
- Could get better fuel economy, takes premium gas
- LSD is an option, not standard

tobypaddock
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
I had an 03 IS300 for a demo for a short while and let me tell you, it was a nice fun car to drive. It's manual transmission didn't have the perfect shifts that you have in the competition, the BMW 330ci, but it's no slushbox either. It handled very tight and had little body roll, while allowing the car to be taken fast on tight turns. The engine felt peppy and faster than it actually was, plus the car sounded great at WOT. With an SRT intake and Race ECU, this car will get 22hp, and 25tq, and sound a lot better. Great fun to drive on a track!

Positives:
- Fun to drive, even the auto felt well balanced
- Super reliable, and amazing Lexus resale
- Car felt well built and sturdy, RWD platform
- Could hold corners well and would go sideways nicely
- Interior was pretty cool, gauges were goofy but arguably a nicer touch than the plane jane boring BMW's gauges
- Can have LSD

Negatives:
- Needs more tq, more hp for faster 0-60 times, quicker launches.
- Better transmission that's more aggressive for auto and manual
- Sucks in winter even with decent snow tires (google it if you don't believe me)
- LSD is an option, not standard

wicked info! EXACTLY what i was looking for.
I've heard they are brutal even with snow tires, WTH is that about? that sucks cause i dont really want to keep to vehicles, one solely for the winter...

psycoticclown
05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Legacy Wagon. Yea I'm biased but I think it has what you're looking for. Pretty quick, manual if you want, AWD and good power. Plus cheap to mod.

TorqueDog
05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
It's no M5 but the IS300 is an awesome car compared to what was offered in it's day.Comparing it to what I drive would be utterly pointless, they aren't segment competitors in the slightest.

But if you compare it to cars in its class, such as the Non-M 3-Series sedan, the 3-Series has far better handling characteristics.

clem24
05-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah I have 2 dogs. Neither are big (40 and 15 lbs) but they need a hatch. At least the big one (and Airedale) needs a hatch. The problem I have with the sportcross is the fairly sloped glass. That takes away quite a bit of room for a dog to maneuver, plus the fact that the space back there is already smaller than a full size wagon. Mind you, I haven't actually tried it, but it looks way smaller than my Legacy wagon. The overall interior is also much smaller than similar cars in it's size class (3 series excluded). The inline 6/RWD combo really cuts down on cabin space.

Also, if you're looking for something that is good on fuel, I would probably avoid the IS300 altogether. Not a single person praises it's fuel economy. It's quite a thirsty engine. Another +1 for the Legacy (as mentioned above). It's much quicker, handles just as well, has just as many luxury amenities, is larger, is AWD and a hoot in the winter, cheaper, newer, and is way better on fuel.

Anyway, this whole post is a plug for my '05 Legacy GT Limited with 5 speed manual (very rare combo for a wagon - most LTD's are usually auto) that will be on the market very soon! :D

In all honesty, I wanted an IS300 really wanted. I even test drove one and was figuring out how to pay for it new. But in the end, decided against it.

911fever
05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Comparing it to what I drive would be utterly pointless, they aren't segment competitors in the slightest.

But if you compare it to cars in its class, such as the Non-M 3-Series sedan, the 3-Series has far better handling characteristics.

The steering of the IS300 is better than the 325i of the same year, even Car and Driver agreed. Skidpad adhesion, at 0.82 g, is second best behind the BMW, with dependable understeer. Braking performance tops all others' at 164 feet from 70 mph. Top speed is 142 mph, just 2 mph short of the high mark set by the Saab.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/01q1/lexus_is300_vs._bmw_325i_audi_a4_volvo_s60_m-b_c240_saab_9-3-comparison_tests

Also another great resource on them vs the BMW 330ci:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144252&d=1208643104
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144253&d=1208643104
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144254&d=1208643104
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144255&d=1208643104

It's a great car and honestly it's not as smooth as the 330ci, it's more stiff and abrasive, but it's one of the last great handling Toyota's ever built.

Migs
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm headed to California next week to get one for my mom.

To those who say it's difficult to control in the snow, put your purses down and LEARN TO DRIVE.

The BMW comparisons are ridiculous. It doesn't drive like a BMW because it ISN'T a BMW! Haha

Guess what, a 3 series doesn't handle like an IS300. ;)

Migs

Team_Mclaren
09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
it handles ok, noth special at all. Wished it had more power tho, the I6 is slow as shit....

The interior is awful too imo. Having said that, for the right price, i would buy one for winter... :rofl:

86max
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I always enjoy threads about Lexus cars when TorqueDog, InRich, you&me, etc are involved lol

OH SNAP A LEXUS THREAD *crack fingers* IT'S ON!

LLLimit
09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

Negatives:

Very very true

coote
03-01-2019, 02:06 PM
I have a 2002 SportCross for sale. I just put a post up asking how or where to sell it. I'm 75 and it is now too much of a car for me. I live in Quebec.

Toms-SC
03-02-2019, 12:06 PM
I have a 2002 SportCross for sale. I just put a post up asking how or where to sell it. I'm 75 and it is now too much of a car for me. I live in Quebec.

It is a cool car. Can you tell us a bit more detail? KMs? Accidents? Was regular maintenance done? Color?

tonytiger55
03-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Pic for those browsing this thread and cant be arsed to search to see what the hell a sportcross is....
Hell.. I was curious too...

msommers
03-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Also a thread from Sept 2010...

bjstare
03-05-2019, 03:39 PM
The prospective seller has also started or commented in 2-3 other threads.

Disoblige
03-05-2019, 04:11 PM
At 75, that's pretty good!

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2019, 04:23 PM

If he's being truthful about his age I'd give him a break haha. I know 50 year olds who don't even know what a forum is.

tha_bandit
03-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Seems to have done his research too, someone on here might buy it :burnout:

EDIT: missed the QC part

bjstare
03-08-2019, 10:19 AM
If he's being truthful about his age I'd give him a break haha. I know 50 year olds who don't even know what a forum is.

I'd say that's a pretty low bar, probably almost as low as their IQ.

coote
04-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Hi Toms-SC
I posted many details on malexus.blogspot.com In answer your specific questions: 224,000kms: two small fender benders - one the car was parked, the other at 7kms/hr; Regularly maintained and I have the documents; it is black as you can see at the blog address given.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want my picture Mitsu 3000gt :-) Born in March 1944. Do the maths!