PDA

View Full Version : can u guys ban IPs?

GTS Jeff
12-11-2003, 04:32 AM
im wondering cuz, whats the point of banning a username, since the ppl that get banned are so lame they just come back under different usernames!

and especially with stuff lately like the fuckyou newbies and whatnot...

buh_buh
12-11-2003, 06:29 AM
yes

sputnik
12-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
im wondering cuz, whats the point of banning a username, since the ppl that get banned are so lame they just come back under different usernames!

They can just come back from a different IP then... and Beyond cant exactly ban *.shaw.ca as it would take 90% of us out too.

Superesc
12-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

They can just come back from a different IP then... and Beyond cant exactly ban *.shaw.ca as it would take 90% of us out too.

Banning IP is more effective then you think.

sputnik
12-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Superesc

Banning IP is more effective then you think.

explain...

Superesc
12-11-2003, 10:39 AM
majority of the users logs in from their home/static location, ban their ip and they are force to view the forum from another location. Many banned ip user has actually wrote the admin emails to apologize and ask for redemption.

If banning ip is not working I don't think anyone would be asking for redemption... what does it say about the importance of Beyond in their life... they can't live without it?? And if Beyond is that important to them, they should really consider changing their behavior to avoid excommuication.

And if you think banning is a hassle for moderator then you are wrong.. hehehe

Interesting thing is that ppl who move to another location to sign up again on the site usually get spotted as someone who have been banned before... Sometime it don't take IPs to recognize an annoying user. Their character/personalities "shines" through their username.... :D

legendboy
12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
There are ways around using your pc even if your ip has been banned.

rage2
12-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Fortuantely, we have a lot of smart Administrators, who have figured out ways around all methods. ;)

IP banning isn't our only technical method for banning... we have quite a few other tricks up our sleeves, which is why people get banned and actually never get back on unless they go to someone else's house.

benyl
12-11-2003, 02:13 PM
what happens if you say ban someone's ip... then I get it from TELUS as they are DHCP?

GTS Jeff
12-11-2003, 02:48 PM
hmm so that sihk n ddestroy punk must be some sort of tech geek haha

rage2
12-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by benyl
what happens if you say ban someone's ip... then I get it from TELUS as they are DHCP?
When it's time to ban you, I'll demonstrate :).

Ben
12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2

When it's time to ban you, I'll demonstrate :).

Muhahahahahaha