PDA

View Full Version : Cracks inside a of Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats

Cash Money Hoes
05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I am looking at buying a set of used bridgestone potenza runflats for my BMW. The tires are 255 35 r 18 on the front and 225 40 r 18s on the front. Upon inspecting the tires there are is a 1 inch long crack on the inside of the side wall of 2 of the tires. The cracks look like they are no deeper than 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch. The cracks run tangent to the radius of the tire and again are on the inside of the side wall.

I am worried that should I buy these tires I will run into issues with them down the road in potential bubbles on the exterior side wall or issues with a getting a tire shop to install them.

Has anyone seen these type of cracks/ cuts on these type of run flat tires before? Are the tires compromsed or is this fairly common? Are the tires usable?

Thanks for your help.

Aleks
05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Have you considered swapping out to non run flat tires. Your ride quality will improve dramatically.

You'll save lots of money. A tire repair kit can be bought ($29.99 that includes a compressor) in case you get a leak.

HondaKid
05-15-2010, 09:58 PM
You ought to call Bob at UrbanX Tire, you want an expert opinion cause tires are frickin' important.

anschutz_92
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Chances are they are just cosmetic cracks in the liner of the tire. If you can see the cords then they are compromised and should be thrown out.

Now what would cause these cosmetic cracks? Sometimes they just develop over time as the tire ages, or the tire could have been running low/flat for a period of time which caused enough heat build up in the tire to start degrading the rubber.

Regardless used tires are a gamble and personally I would just buy brand new. The rubber compounds break down over time, to the point that tires should be replaced every three seasons regardless how much wear they have occurred. Most people just look at tread depth when purchasing tires but tire age is just as important. If these tires are <'06 takeoffs they are garbage anyways.

Tomaz
05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
Most people just look at tread depth when purchasing tires but tire age is just as important. If these tires are &lt;'06 takeoffs they are garbage anyways.

Take a lesson from me.

I just bought rims with rubber and the Potenzas had great tread on them. I rode on them for 3 weeks, had both front tires blow out on me last week. I found out the tires have been on there since 07.

SO, just get new. I would lso consider researching Hankook Ventus V12 tires. I hear nothing but good things about them.