PDA

View Full Version : Cramming methods

buh_buh
12-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Seeing that its final exam time, I'm curious to see what your guys' cramming methods are haha. Any secrets to staying up late and/or trying to stay awake later on in the night or early in the morning?

DeSi
12-11-2003, 08:11 AM
.....studying alot lol

Shaolin
12-11-2003, 08:47 AM
streamline studying.. Type out the stuff that's most important (main headings and sub headings).. usually the first paragraph and the last paragraph hold the useful information. Keep an eye out for key terms especially with a class that has alot of definitions, for stuff asking to describe (what are the 5 da da da) use acroynms.

MerfBall
12-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Make sure to get your sleep. You can try to stuff your head all you want, but if your tired you will not retain all that much.

SinisterProbeGt
12-11-2003, 09:37 AM
I like speed reading it works for me I'll guickly pour over my work 6 or 7 times reading it quiclky and writing down what after reading it I rembered. after the 6th or 7th time I can almost re-write the whole damm book!

K271
12-11-2003, 09:44 AM
REDBULL!!

littledan
12-11-2003, 11:07 AM
i don't necessarily read entire chapters.. look at the outline and see what points they want you to learn... understand those points and move on, don't sweat the details!

SinisterProbeGt
12-11-2003, 11:08 AM
yeah thats what I ment I dont read the whole damm thing but skim threw it you should get a few point each time

Si_FlyGuy
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Drink a lot of water and caffiene to keep you awake for cramming, then switch to Ephedrine/Ephedrine equivalents about 3 hours before the exam. Just make sure to take a long ass pee before entering the exam. I once finished an Econ final in 20 minutes because I had to take a leak (had two cans of coke, 1/2 litre of water and a 6 shot venti americano in the 1.5 hours before exam)...still scored a B+ though. Those disgusting Hansen's drinks help too.

Oh yah...no junk food for 3 days before a major exam...and a small dose of Gingko Biloba and vitamin pills in that time span to optimize your ability to store information.

buh_buh
12-11-2003, 11:22 AM
sleep is not a necessity for me come exam time, I usually like to study all night up until I leave my house for the exam, so getting a good night's sleep is out of the question haha.

I've never tried that Gingko Biloba or vitamin pills though, I'll give that a shot for my next exam. Where to I find that stuff?

max_boost
12-11-2003, 11:26 AM
I just don't study at all:D
The Key is to build your mark up going into the final (85%+) and then just let it slide!!! haha

It works in my courses because final exams are worth around 30% due to the large amount of group work/projects involved.

Especially for me, by the time the final rolls around, I'm all pissed off and don't give two shits about school.:thumbsup: haha

DUBBED
12-11-2003, 11:30 AM
hahaha I wish I wasnt so fucking lazy and could pull that off...

oh well.. I'm gonna try some of these "drinks" before my calculus exam...

buh_buh
12-11-2003, 11:33 AM
ya I usually try to build up around a 80% before the final, but I need to do good on the final too to get that A in the course.

Haha I used to be lazy like that too, until I realized I'm a failure in life and am going to be in school forever if I keep it up haha. That is why I started studying.

max_boost
12-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
ya I usually try to build up around a 80% before the final, but I need to do good on the final too to get that A in the course.

Haha I used to be lazy like that too, until I realized I'm a failure in life and am going to be in school forever if I keep it up haha. That is why I started studying. We've all been there before that is why I tried so hard last year......but it doesn't matter, I went back to my old self this semester but surprisingly, I still did enough to get a B+average:angel: .......it's all about having the right teachers:devil:

Davetronz
12-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Ughhhh MATH284 final in less than 20 hours.... :nut:

Stratus_Power
12-11-2003, 01:07 PM
i started studying ~ 2 weeks before Lecture ended so i dont have to pull any all -nighters and get full 8 hours of sleep everynite. it works pretty well.. but i still did do so good so :guns:

GTS Jeff
12-11-2003, 02:40 PM
study a lot. make notes on your notes. and get a decent amount of sleep

nismodrifter
12-11-2003, 09:18 PM
damn, I have read my math stuff over so many times......still don't understand some of it fully......and now cannot stand to read another line of it

but I HAVE to read it otherwise I am gonna be scrweed.....I am going crazzzy :nut: :nut: :nut:

Davetronz
12-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
damn, I have read my math stuff over so many times......still don't understand some of it fully......and now cannot stand to read another line of it

but I HAVE to read it otherwise I am gonna be scrweed.....I am going crazzzy :nut: :nut: :nut:
I am thinking of going to bed right now waking up at 2:00ish and keep going until the test at 8.. Not sure how that would work for me though.

FiveFreshFish
12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Jolt Cola! :thumbsup:

buh_buh
12-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

I am thinking of going to bed right now waking up at 2:00ish and keep going until the test at 8.. Not sure how that would work for me though. its not that bad. Last night I studied from like 10-3:30am, slept til 5am woke up and studied until my 8am exam. Just woke up and drank a coke. Didn't start feeling tired until like noonish haha.

ShOwOfF
12-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I always tend to leave my readings until the last minute. I found that taking a couple of quick 1-2 hour power naps throughout the night works better than reading till 5 and getting up at 8. For me anyways, it seems like I'm able to focus better after a short nap.

nismodrifter
12-11-2003, 11:17 PM
yeh short nap works, if you sleep for more than like 2 hours then you start gettin too relaxed during sleep......when you wake up you are more tired than before....

I am not freaking out over chemistry which is tomorrow night....but I am freaking out over math which is on saturday morning......so I still got time to study for that one

hmmmm.....I think I am gonna play some nfs for like 1/2 hour, start on the chem, sleep till 4....wake up..........then 12 hours straight before the exam :D sounds like a plan :D :D

brain has gotten to a point where I do not want to see another number.........I can't focus on remembering stuff for math anymore....

Davetronz
12-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Brain is broken cant study anymore, fuck it, gonna just give'r tomorow!

Gainsbarre
12-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Read and take notes at the same time. Works for me. Highlight the key points in your notes, and revise your notes once or twice, streamlining things each time.

And if it's an open book exam (e.g. the U of C's MGST 391 class), then cram all the notes you can into the margins of the pages.

Dave P
12-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Get off Beyond haha. For starters.

I heard sex is good because it releases endorphines which relax you and allow you to concentrate.

And its like a motivator. study this much. have gf or bf test you, sex if you know. back to the books if you dont

Davetronz
12-12-2003, 03:35 PM
sex = stress relief ;)

Well Math is over, and that brings an end to another term for me.

The Math284 test was actually surprisingly difficult for all, hopefully I passed... Thats all I ask for at this point...

maximus
12-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I usually just study couple days before the test. Just enough to get it into shallow processing/short term memory and then forget it forever!

Seriously though, I find that if I study too early like two weeks in advance I forget it all. Idealy I like 2 6-8hr periods before the test. Works awesome for midterms. Usually there are at least 2 days between all midterms. Harder for finals since sometimes you get them back to back. This is the first year I have 3 back to back so I don't know what I'll do.

Oh and a little :burnout: break during an all nighter (and after each final) helps too!!

nismodrifter
12-13-2003, 12:02 AM
shiz....got to stay up damn late tonight :(

I think I might try the "sleep till like 1:30 technique" then wake up....and then study till 11:00 tomorrow mornin,

hate back to back testz

bart
12-13-2003, 12:05 AM
i learn through osmosis, i put the books under my pillow and goto sleep. :)

YCB
12-13-2003, 12:11 AM
OLD eXams are number 1..

nismodrifter
12-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by bart

:rofl: :rofl:

what a nerd joke

buh_buh
12-15-2003, 12:53 AM
I actually heard that listening to classical music when your studying helps.
Anyone know any truth behind that?

gpomp
12-15-2003, 01:06 AM
7 hours till my 221 final, havn't started studying yet. :eek: :eek: :eek:

kenny
12-15-2003, 01:17 AM
What I did to get my degree while being a total dumbass not knowing wtf I was learning was to cram cram cram.

Sleep tons up until about 6-9 hours before the exam, then cram like a mofo reading all the notes I wrote throughout the year from beginning to end (or what the exam covers). After that I just go over old tests and this studying continues until about 5 minutes before the actual exam. i do about 2 - 3 days worth of studying in this crazy cramming session.

Then, once I write the exam, I erase my brain and completely forget about all the shit I learned in that year. This process repeats itself for each exam I have to write.

:thumbsup:

kenny
12-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by bart

Unfortunately osmosis is the diffusion of water. What you meant to say was "I learn through diffusion" hahah j/k :rofl:

nismodrifter
12-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Unfortunately osmosis is the diffusion of water. What you meant to say was "I learn through diffusion" hahah j/k :rofl:

hahahahaha.....nerd correction

at the moment, my brain is hypotonic (books have higher solute concentration/are hypertonic when compared to my brain) ;)

Ajay
12-15-2003, 02:06 AM
I study off and on throughout the entire school year...reading my chapters, reviewing my notes so I don't have to cram like a mofo the night before.

Got my Econ 321 final tomorrow at 12 and I studied off and on from 3PM until now. When I do cram I start kinda early....best method that works for me is studying hard for an hour or two and then taking a half hour break and going back to it. Alot of my friends get up at 5 or 6 am to start studying....I need my sleep. I don't get up that early for ANYTHING.

gpomp
12-15-2003, 02:07 AM
WHO TF SCHEDULES 5 EXAMS IN 6 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FiveFreshFish
12-15-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
WHO TF SCHEDULES 5 EXAMS IN 6 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not a bad schedule.

Try 5 exams in 3 days. :eek:

nismodrifter
12-15-2003, 02:15 AM
I have 4 in 5 days......going to have one tonight from 7-9 and then tomorrow morning at 12. Had the same schedule on friday and saturday. only day off was sunday

oh well.....at least tomorrow it will be done, my last one is saturday morning at 8am :zzz:

MerfBall
12-15-2003, 09:22 AM

The rule of thumb is that if you listen to music when you study than make sure to listen to music with absolutely no words so that could be jazz, classical, even trance :D

The words mess up your concentration, you'll tend to be hearing and remembering the words in the music more than the words you are reading.

boi-alien
12-15-2003, 12:41 PM
i just need to study for 2 hrs before my finals. make sure you do all your assignments and work during the semester... going to class helps too! :D

sexualbanana
12-16-2003, 12:21 AM

It's partially because classical music is a lot more complex than the radio music that we hear nowadays.

I actually remember hearing that they did a study on this and concluded that listening to classical music actually increases your IQ by a couple points for about 15 minutes.

pinoyhero
12-16-2003, 06:41 AM
It may mess your internal clock around but rather than study from 7-2AM then sleep for 5 hours to be at your test for 8, I always slept and woke up 6 hours before the test to study, that way I didn'y forget stuff during the sleep.

nismodrifter
12-16-2003, 09:24 AM
tried tro stay up all night......didn't happen :(

luckily I only have cpsc203 exam today :D :D :D

ONE MORE left....saturday morninat a 8am and I am DONE

nismodrifter
12-16-2003, 03:36 PM
ahha cpsc203 exam was a joke....finished it before they even got around to making me sign my name :D

sexualbanana
12-17-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
ahha cpsc203 exam was a joke....finished it before they even got around to making me sign my name :D

Always happens that way. It basically gets to the point of waiting for the attendance sheet to be signed. After that the whole gym empties

rx7girlie
12-17-2003, 02:41 PM

Yeah, has something to do with the beat of the music that focuses your mind to learn faster/better.

Not too sure how it works.