PDA

View Full Version : b20 turbo?

jakeobus
05-15-2010, 10:11 PM
just a general question for you guys.
after running a 16.5 in my b20 teg, i've come to realize i could use a lil' more kick in my teggy haha.
now this is kinda 2 questions:

1st off this is a daily driver for my lady to work, and for me.
I've always been an all motor guy, figured id just slap a vtec head on the b20 and call it a day...buutttt if i could make just about the same power WITH the reliability of a basic all motor setup with a small easy spooling turbo (low boost), i might do it.
So would it be reliable enough for winter driving as well?
does anyone have any experience running a turbo honda in winter?

2nd anyone selling a setup or parts that would work for the goal i'm looking for?

1-Bar
05-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I ran my b20 turbo in the winter no issues, just get a good set of winter tires.....I ran a GT3076r, then when I blew that up I swapped in a T3/T40E 0.57 trim IIRC

Power was great, rough tune I had close to 240whp @ 9 or 10 psi

jakeobus
05-16-2010, 12:20 AM
wow 240 is good man
i'd be happy with a 200whp setup.
was your motor built? or stock
and did u blow up the motor or just the turbo?

Sentry
05-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Not a B20, but my turbo Honda is a blast in all seasons.

gpomp
05-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by jakeobus
if i could make just about the same power WITH the reliability of a basic all motor setup with a small easy spooling turbo (low boost), i might do it. it won't be as reliable... put a vtec head on the b20 and call it a day

Mr_ET
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
the VTEC head will probably make the car run 15.5 on the 1/4.

This altitude does not work for all motor.

This is coming from a guy who just dumped over 6k in an all motor B18C build and is about to dyno it :P

I also had a turbo d EF hatch before that. I did drive it in the winter and it was fine.

If you have a decent budget and don't cheap out I would go turbo. You seem to have more than enough skills and understanding of tuning to make that setup reliable and keep it reliable.

200whp will run a low 14 second 1/4 here and make the car faster than most cars driving around you everyday.

jakeobus
05-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
the VTEC head will probably make the car run 15.5 on the 1/4.

This altitude does not work for all motor.

This is coming from a guy who just dumped over 6k in an all motor B18C build and is about to dyno it :P

I also had a turbo d EF hatch before that. I did drive it in the winter and it was fine.

If you have a decent budget and don't cheap out I would go turbo. You seem to have more than enough skills and understanding of tuning to make that setup reliable and keep it reliable.

200whp will run a low 14 second 1/4 here and make the car faster than most cars driving around you everyday.

shit man let me know what you end up dyno'ing on the b18c!
and ya i would buy nice parts if i decided to turbo it, i am one of those guys that really believe you get what you pay for.
to be honest tho, i'd fly my buddy out from wpg to tune it if and when i get it all together...

The other option is i just drive my teg as it is, and start concentrating back on my civic which is in need of a k24... haha.

but it is good to hear from you guys saying you've driven your turbo hondas in winter with no big issues!

1-Bar
05-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by jakeobus
wow 240 is good man
i'd be happy with a 200whp setup.
was your motor built? or stock
and did u blow up the motor or just the turbo?

Stock motor, I blew everything up...rather the big water puddle I drove through took care of that. Trust me, there's never enough hp when you're running a turbo under the hood....so easy to make more, definitely need self control to not turn up the boost!

jakeobus
05-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

Stock motor, I blew everything up...rather the big water puddle I drove through took care of that. Trust me, there's never enough hp when you're running a turbo under the hood....so easy to make more, definitely need self control to not turn up the boost!

haha dont worry i have pretty good self control, and an overwhelming ability to over worry, so much so i rarely drive my cars with music on because i like listening to the car to make sure everythings goin good.
i've never installed a stereo system in any of my cars besides a deck on one.