PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance for 95 R33 Skyline GTR

daatguy
05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm planning to purchase a 1995 R33 GTR V-Spec :clap: this summer. Probably something that's already landed, inspected etc, instead of importing one myself.

Anyways my question is... How are the maintenance for JDM cars in general? Can I go to a Nissan dealership in Calgary for maintenance? Friends are telling me that if the car has a problem, I'll have to import parts from Japan also and find a mechanic who knows GTRs (which kinda makes sense, since the Skyline GTRs never been formerly introduced to Canada by Nissan)

I don't need to read about your opinions on what other cars I should be getting with the money I'm gonna be spending on the GTR. I just want my question answered.

Thankss :burnout:

Joe-G
05-16-2010, 03:49 PM
You'll have to ship the car back to Japan to get any time of work done to it. Nobody here can work on it because its a JDM engine. JDM engines are totally different, and do not operate like regular engines. Thus they need special maintenance, JDM tools, and JDM knowledge.

dj_rice
05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Nissan dealers will have most basic stuff in stock like air filters/oil filters/fuel filters, but for other major stuff, your gonna have to do your own research for part #'s if you want it serviced at the dealer. We don't have the time nor the resources to figure out what parts will work/wont work since its a JDM vehicle.

Your best bet is to take it to a JDM specialty repair shop. Thats for you to figure out what shop to take it to.

Ukyo8
05-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
You'll have to ship the car back to Japan to get any time of work done to it. Nobody here can work on it because its a JDM engine. JDM engines are totally different, and do not operate like regular engines. Thus they need special maintenance, JDM tools, and JDM knowledge.

:werd:

You can also overnight parts from Japan

stealth1313
05-16-2010, 04:33 PM
You'll have to ship the car back to Japan to get any time of work done to it. Nobody here can work on it because its a JDM engine. JDM engines are totally different, and do not operate like regular engines. Thus they need special maintenance, JDM tools, and JDM knowledge. ya and if the brakes wear out you have to overnight some right hand drive pads and it gets expensive

psycoticclown
05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
You also need a special JDM battery, since they are RHD vehicles, batteries from NA will have the terminals on the wrong side so it's going to be a bitch if it dies.

slinkie
05-16-2010, 04:46 PM
gtrs are a super reliable daily car

plus in japan everyone just idles around in first gear (while they're not busy waxing their car or performing religious maintenance)

the odometers on JDM cars are also rolled forward just to make CDM cars feel better

pinoyboy88
05-16-2010, 04:48 PM

do not operate like normal engines? jdm tools? jdm knowledge? lol o boy :banghead:

anyways..just make sure that the timing belt and water pump has been done..change all the fluids..youll be good..dont worry too much..not hard to find parts for these cars..have fun !!!!

badatusrnames
05-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Ukyo8

:werd:

You can also overnight parts from Japan

Originally posted by stealth1313
ya and if the brakes wear out you have to overnight some right hand drive pads and it gets expensive

Originally posted by psycoticclown
You also need a special JDM battery, since they are RHD vehicles, batteries from NA will have the terminals on the wrong side so it's going to be a bitch if it dies.

:zzz: Overplayed and unoriginal... thanks for the utterly useless posts guys. Maybe we can start a JDM bitch-fest thread?

At least he's buying a car that's really worth bringing over.

OP, best thing to do is to read up on what parts are interchangeable with vehicles sold over here. Also, importers/engine suppliers in town should be able to help you with parts.

drtoohotty1
05-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:zzz: Overplayed and unoriginal... thanks for the utterly useless posts guys. Maybe we can start a JDM bitch-fest thread?
:werd: +1

2EFNFAST
05-16-2010, 05:17 PM
JDM sucks.

How about dem apples? :poosie:

Modelexis
05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
One of my favorite cars ever, if I had the money I would be importing one as well. :thumbsup:

stealth1313
05-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Yeah this happened to a guy i know, it came with the jdm battery but after it died :banghead: :banghead: so expensive to replace

talonboi
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
since the car is new to north america, give the dealerships time to order in some parts.

i have on order front suspension pieces for the R33 GTR and it'll take about 2-3 weeks for them to come in.

Parts are not hard to find as the Nissan dealerships are supporting cars from Japan, unlike Toyota who will not support their JDM cars at all

If you do decided to pick up the car and need some parts, just PM me and i can help you out.

Mar
05-17-2010, 09:01 AM
YOu won't find one that's already landed, 1995 was the first year for the R33 GTR and I don't think anyone has one here yet. Not that I know of.

talonboi
05-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Mar
YOu won't find one that's already landed, 1995 was the first year for the R33 GTR and I don't think anyone has one here yet. Not that I know of.

ive seen 2 so far, i know JDMsource has one as well

600rr
05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Mar

YOU are a fuckin joke bud.
There are a lot already landed and there will be even more.
Jdmsource just sold one, and there are others all over Canada as well.
EDIT: talonboi got to that before me haha

To the OP,

Parts are going to be fine to get. If anything, talk to some people around town who have brokers in japan and they can get you some of the rarer parts from japan and ship them in containers with cars.
For other parts, listen to what talonboi said...

Become a member on gtrc.com, there are a couple guys on there that have very good maintenance threads for their R33 GTR's already.

If you want a good mechanic, pm me. I have had the same nissan mechanic for all my cars (2 GTRs plus others).
He has built a couple of his own GTR's and has built 4 of his own lhd 300zx's, and works on a lot of other GTR's and a lot of nissan's in general.

Good luck,

Mar
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 600rr
YOU are a fuckin joke bud. Classy. Do you treat everyone like that?

2Valve0
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 600rr

YOU are a fuckin joke bud.

Ban for uncalled for insult. :facepalm: Grow up.

As for parts JDM cars are a dime a dozen now. Even these you will start seeing every second block. So many people order parts in don't even worry.

As said above, JDM cars have super low KM's and all are in such better shape then Canadian so you shouldnt need parts :rofl: or so JDM lovers say....

DonJuan
05-17-2010, 05:01 PM
side note: suprised that heavyD hasn't weighed in on this yet.

Definately become a member of a gtr specific forum so you can get lots of info about commont part numbers etc so that when you go to get parts for it, you don't get a huge SSSSSIIIIGGGGGHHHH from the parts guys behind the desk.

Canmorite
05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Saw a white R33 for sale on here, would definitely love to buy one. I've always wondered about parts/maintenance too though...

thedave
05-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Saw a white R33 for sale on here, would definitely love to buy one. I've always wondered about parts/maintenance too though...

Its a 26... maintenance is a rebuild every 5000kms.

Parts on the other hand are relatively easy to get, and don't go to Nissan. At Sunridge it took the guy 35 mins to locate the Skyline GTR RB26DETT in Fast, then I had to guided him through the system, THEN when the gaskets arrived, he ordered 6 of the same/wrong gaskets which I had told him 3 times were not the ones I wanted. :banghead: