PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Canada Service

Go4Long
05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
So here's the situation thus far.

- I bought my nice shiny 70-200 VRII at the beginning of April.
- 3 days later while shooting a hockey tournament the lens got hit with a hockey puck and the zoom ring became stuck.
- I shipped it out on the 5th of April to be serviced with a note attached saying I needed it back by May 1st
- I sent it to the service center in Richmond as I thought that worst case scenario I could pick it up in Richmond(Nikon thought this was best too)
- Richmond sent it to Ontario instead
- I spoke with the Ontario office and checked with them about the possibilities of getting it back for may 1st. They said oh yeah, no problem at all.
- I kept calling and checking, they kept saying everything was going according to plan, no problem at all.
- April 22nd I get an e-mail with the service estimate, which I immediately call and approve.
- April 27th I call and ask about if it's ready to be shipped back yet. they say they'll go check and call me back
- Late that afternoon they call and say, oh the part is back ordered, it won't be available for at least a few weeks. FAWK
- I got pretty upset with them, basically said that they'd had the lens for three weeks, knew it needed a zoom ring, and knew that I needed it back for May 1st and had waited until the last possible moment to find out if the part was available.
- I tell them to put the lens back together and ship it out to me and I will use it during the race weekend and then ship it back
- They send me a tracking number that afternoon that says the lens is on the way.
- The 29th of April was the day of that stupid snow storm, so purolator didn't deliver the lens, and I flew out early on the 30th, so I ended up not having the lens for my trip anyway.
- I come back from Vancouver on the Monday(May 3rd) and open up the box to find they shipped me the lens back in fuckin pieces.
- I ship it back to Nikon again, this time direct to Ontario.
- I called them again last Thursday (May 13) and they say, oh it's with a tech now, it should be all done and back to you in a few days.
- I call them again this morning, they say oh it's still with the tech, let me go ask them what's going on and I'll get back to you.
- She calls me back a few hours later and says "the part is back ordered" FAWK
me: "I know the bloody part is back ordered, it was back ordered 3 fuckin weeks ago when you were supposed to order it the first time"
her: "oh, this is a new order"
me: "you're telling me that the parts department canceled the order when I said I needed the lens back for a week"
her: "It appears that way yes"
me: "I think I'm going to need to speak to your supervisor to avoid yelling at you for something you had no control over"

FAWK...so long story short, still no lens, I've owned the lens for a month and a half and it's been in my possession for less than a week, and is costing me $550 in repairs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not to pissed about the repair being necessary, shit happens, lenses aren't designed to be hit by hockey pucks, go figure. But the whole repair process is making them look like a bunch of monkeys trying to fuck a football...seriously.

The only positive to the whole scenario is that in getting the supervisor to deal with the situation, Nikon is sending me a loaner 70-200 VRII that I can use until they complete the repair now(which is good since I'm going to Vancouver island next Monday)

syeve
05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
That sucks...sorry to hear. Good news about the loaner though.

AccentAE86
05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
LOL... sounds like the other experiences from my fellow pros that have used NPS Canada. And people get the same crappy service from CPS Canada too. It's like they're competing for who gives shittier service.

I only use a third party repair shop now, and I don't care if I have to pay for it even if it's under warranty. I trust him and he does an amazing job.

mboldt
05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Who knows how long the part has been on backorder for.. It could have been unavailable since the moment you shipped it before it even got there lol

Go4Long
05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
who knows...lol...all I know is they cancelled the part order when they shipped the lens back...in pieces :facepalm:

syeve
05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
I only use a third party repair shop now, and I don't care if I have to pay for it even if it's under warranty. I trust him and he does an amazing job.

Tell me who!

Go4Long
05-17-2010, 01:33 PM
yeah...me too...although the back ordered part thing wouldn't have really made a change in the situation by going third party, if not it would have been an even longer wait.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I typically read good things about Nikon service but that sucks you got the run around. At least they offered to send you an identical loner lens rather than an old 80-200 or something. This way you at least get to use the same product as you paid for while they fix your damaged lens. They handled it well, but its too bad you had to go all the way up the chain to get satisfactory compensation.

I was mostly surprised they bothered to ship it back to you in pieces, as if you could possibly have a use for that.

Go4Long
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
yeah...even the person I talked to today was like "I honestly can't believe they shipped you back a disassembled lens" I think it was the sort of feather in the cap of my case of this being a ridiculous situation.

Originally they had said they were going to ship me a VR1, and I was mostly ok with that, I did mention I was shooting full frame, but said that a VR1 was better than nothing.

When she sent me the tracking number she said in her e-mail that they had found a VRII that was available in the system and they would ship that instead. And they're going to cover the cost of the return shipping as well.

quazimoto
05-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Both Nikon Service Canada and Canon Service Canada from my experiences are both slow and the communication is always lacking.

This is also why I tell people to not really pay attention to the limited warranties that come with their purchases these days as I have found personally that they are nearly useless.

I've only sent one lens in to Nikon and it was a 17-35 to have the autofocus motor replaced since it was having some minor issues. It took six weeks and $400.

When I was shooting Canon it was either amazing service or kick you in the nuts service. I took a 24-70 F2.8L lens in for servicing where the rear plate had broken off. It took a week to repair and cost a mere $78. When I got my 70-200 F2.8 IS filter ring repaired since the old one was binding due to slight damage it took two months and $350.

If we had a local place in Calgary that did repairs on all camera bodies that was trustworthy I'd much rather use them. I know for FACT canon no longer is the supplier for their own camera parts. If you try to order Canon parts you need to call some 3rd party company which I still find really confusing.

AccentAE86
05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Tell me who!

Unfortunately for the OP, this is a canon repair guy. I have yet to find his equal in the Nikon world.

His name is Toshio and he's a tech from Japan. Unfortunately, he is cross border, but the work he does is outstanding and makes canon techs look like dumbasses.

Toshio
TF Camera Repair
27 Brunswick Woods Dr
East Brunswick, NJ
USA

(732) 238-8806

I've had issues with some of my Nikon gear and would love to find someone of his calibre to hire.

quazimoto
05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Well in all honesty I think both Nikon and Canon repair centers do a very good job and in my experience the equipment always comes back better than new. It just happens to be the cost and delay time it seems is always rather unpredictable.

C4S
05-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Sorry about that ... but that is the case in Canada ...

I dropped my 80-400VR .. (near total lost!! broke into 2 pieces!!)

I just asked my buddy to take it back to HK for fix ....

1 week! all fixed, plus clean! :thumbsup:

Or may be since that is a new lens? so hard to get parts?? :confused:

quazimoto
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I think it just depends on what they were replacing. I know the front element casing is new from the VR I version.

Go4Long
05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
it was the zoom ring...and yes, they said it was the first time they've ever had to order one.

Go4Long
06-07-2010, 03:21 AM
finally got it back on friday...good as new $535 and 2 months later.

quazimoto
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Man that is one hell of a hit to take price wise. I'm almost scared to send my 24-70 in now. I had a fall while doing some photos near a waterfall and i have a slight crack on the filter ring that I need to get fixed. I have feelings they are going to charge at least $400 it. You'd think for the prices they sell the lenses at they could at least make the bodies more sturdy or something. C'mon titanium lenses!

ex1z7
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I mean.. It honestly sounds like you're being pretty unreasonable from my stand point.. You broke your lens in an awkward way and something they've never had to fix (if they're being honest) so they don't have the part on hand.. Why would they stock a part they've never needed before? Obviously crying about it wont make the part get there sooner..

You told them to send the lens back - why would they keep the order processed if you no longer have the lens there for them to repair? Do you think they have nothing else to do but sit back and wait for your lens to get there for them to repair? They have a box with your name on it - waiting for the lens you said you'll send back in a week, so they'll just keep the part next to your box and wait for your lens..?

I agree that sending the lens back to you in pieces is stupid.. but there could have been communication issues - "you know what just send it back to me.." not "put the broken lens back together and send it back to me" might have been heard the same way.

Are you a member of Nikon's pro service ? Because you might want to consider looking into that..

http://www.nikonpro.com/AboutNPS.aspx

here.

Go4Long
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't meet the requirements for NPS as I'm not a full time photographer.

Your points don't really work, since my wording to them was "put the lens back together and send it back and I will send it back to you again after the race weekend"

so yes, they should have kept the part on order. and yes, they should have put the lens back together before sending it back...and yes, they shouldn't have continuously promised that it would be back by May first no problem without at least looking at the parts availability...

but you're right...I'm not necessarily a reasonable person. :facepalm:

ex1z7
06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
My points do still work .. You're dealing with a center - not a person. The person you call isn't the person fixing your lens, and the person fixing your lens isn't the one ordering the part .. You have a whole bunch of people working on something and it all falls apart when someone, say, sends the product back to you..

For example, when there is an order for a part in the system pending.. but the lens isn't at the depot anymore.. It gets canceled - maybe automatically - unless someone overrides it.. Which they wont because that takes 7 people talking to eachother about one item. It isn't like there's only one lens sitting there and they have nothing else to do..

I'm not saying you didn't get the run around and you didn't get the shaft.. I'm saying it seems like you're over reacting about this whole thing because shit happens - especially when you take your lens back mid-repair..

If they all work by order numbers - and your order no longer exists - why would they continue ordering the parts ? You have to understand that you aren't the only customer they have, and being patient would have been your best bet all around in this situation.. I've had to send stuff to the Nikon Mississauga office twice and both times it was great service and fast .. you had an awkward problem that needed some more time to fix - and you didn't give them that time..

Use it as a learning curve, have a backup lens or rent a lens for the weekend if it's that important.. And don't wait till you need the lens back right away to send it in - you broke that lens quite a while ago if I remember correctly.. You've had lots of time to send it away..

Go4Long
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I sent it in three days after it broke...would have been two but I worked on the monday.

and I told them when I had them send it back that I needed it back because I needed to use it...so sending it back completely unusable is a pretty dumb ass move, even the person I was dealing with with nikon agreed with me, which is why I ended up getting an NPS loaner lens.

And I dealt with the same person every time I called in. I always do that when I'm calling centers because it's better to deal with a person that you don't have to explain your situation to every time you call.

Xtrema
06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Shipped my D90 in 2 weeks ago, other than a reference number, have not heard a peep out of them. Not ETA, nothing.

Go4Long
06-08-2010, 11:31 AM
if you tell them you need it back by a certain time usually they will try to work with you...although obviously sometimes it doesn't work out :P