PDA

View Full Version : Auto Detailers

Diesel2005
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Has anyone worked at a auto detailer?

How is the work environment? Good as a summer job?

Zewind
05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I only did it for 1 week back in the winter. So that was not fun.

The guy i worked for had 20 yrs of experiense and expected that out of me in less than 1 week. I found it rought on me personally.

You learn so much tho.

SpeedIllusion
05-17-2010, 03:11 PM
You should PM inline6turbo(Renee)

LMVantage
05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I worked as a detailer in a handful of shops for 7 years. It has the habit of spitting people out rather quickly, because I noticed people get into it thinking it's a cake walk. Be prepared to be told you missed a spot, or have to redo things many, many times. If you're willing to learn, and go in there with an open mind (ie check the attitude at the door), it's a good gig, and like Zewind mentioned, you have the opportunity to learn a lot.

2EFNFAST
05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
If you work for somebody like Renee who values quality over quantity, I'm sure you'd enjoy it and learn a lot.

However, 99% of shops out there are hack shops - in/out, high volume. In that environment you'll quickly grow to hate it (imho).

Personally, I admire those who can do this day in-day out. I helped Renee for a bit and, quite honestly, got burnt out from it. It's pretty phsyically demanding after a while, and honestly when you think about it, a bit depressing - you slave over a vehicle only to realize that the first time the person washes it, it will look EXACTLY like it does right now....then it's like 'what's the point?'

Tik-Tok
05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
you slave over a vehicle only to realize that the first time the person washes it, it will look EXACTLY like it does right now....then it's like 'what's the point?'

Bite your tongue. I haven't put a cloth to my MR2 since she polished it last year, it still looks just as good as the day she finished (though my wife did use a microfibre on it once, and panicked when she thought she scratched it :rofl: )

Rat Fink
05-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Graham_A_M
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
^ lol, when I was a Teen, it was a fun gig while working at a Ford Dealership. The thing is; is that its just a dead-end job. Yes it may be fun in the short while, but anybody involved in the industry will agree; that its a dead end job that MAY lead to $17/hr ONE DAY. Average is $15/hr. How people can survive on that in Calgary is beyond me, unless you have 5 room-mates or live with your parents. :nut:

LMVantage
05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I know from personal experience it is possible to make more than $20/hr detailing, you just have to be able to make the right connections and take advantage of the right opportunities when they come up. I know of people who had only 2-3yrs experience making $18/hr in the industry.

dirtsniffer
05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
word, when i graduated i was making 16 an hour and monthly bonuses if the service department did its job well enough, so i was making roughly 18 an hour

jonnycat
05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I loved it when I was younger. I found it especially satisfying when a pig filthy ride would come in, and I'd send it out shining like a diamond in a goat's ass.

I'm sure there are a few people in the world that can manage to earn a healthy living at this, but they are few and far between.

You can use it to move up a dealership ladder though. There are many stories of people starting out at the bottom and end up with their own dealership(s) one day.

GQNammer
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I did auto detailing for 1.5 years. Because I was paid flat rate at a busy dealership, it was good money. I was the slowest out of the 4 people working there so in contrast, i got paid the least. But between may-august, I would pull $1400/paycheque EASILY. My manager (who gave himself the easiest/highest paying jobs) made some crazy numbers! He was a hard worker, knew wtf he was doing, and in turn was pulling between 75-85k/year. On the downside, someone else has mentioned that it's pretty much dead end. Your salary is based on how much work you can do. You can be the quickest detailer but in the end, you're limited to how much work there is to do.

Diesel2005
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
anyone know of any auto detailers hiring?

LMVantage
05-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Heninger Toyota is hiring, as well as Shaw GMC. Many dealerships use CalgaryJobShop to post their openings.

Diesel2005
05-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by LMVantage
Heninger Toyota is hiring, as well as Shaw GMC. Many dealerships use CalgaryJobShop to post their openings.

Ya I've checked those ones out already.

TomcoPDR
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Diesel2005

Ya I've checked those ones out already.

And what ended up from those?

btimbit
05-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

And what ended up from those?

I actually applied to both of those myself. Been a few weeks and haven't heard anything