PDA

View Full Version : Dustin LaFortune Fund raiser Approved by Rage2

Shlade
05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Since the LaFortune family is going through such a rough time, I think it would be a great idea if we decided the help this family out and make a fundraiser for him to get him a super speedy recovery.

Terrible terrible thing happened to him, And Beyond being such a big community I beleive we could make a difference here.

What I need is everybodys help with this, I need suggestions as to who to call to get this more publicised, What we could do. Get the attention of the media also to try and get more attention from everybody

Maybe have a car wash go on this weekend? Show and shine or even a BBQ.

All suggestions are very welcome.

But please keep any negative feedback out of this thread. If your only willing to help post your suggestions in here and lets help this family out and especially Dustin.

Thanks Beyond

For those of you who dont know,

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/05/16/man-sask-torture-lafortune-roommate.html

rage2
05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd contact the family first to make sure you can set something up properly.

Shlade
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Will do, Ill search for them and give them a call tomorrow as its a little late now. See what they think and hopefully we can kick something off!

Cos
05-17-2010, 09:34 PM
may want to post up what exactly happened for those that have the memory of a gold fish.

:D

Shlade
05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Cos,

Been edited into the first post!

Cos
05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Thanks Cos,

Been edited into the first post!

Oh shit yeah I did see that on the news. Very rarely do crimes on the TV affect me but that one just really bothered me. Everytime I saw his photos I had to turn away. ughh

If I am able to help (probably with volunteer time) I will be in.

Good on you!

:thumbsup:

Integra10
05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Since the LaFortune family is going through such a rough time, I think it would be a great idea if we decided the help this family out and make a fundraiser for him to get him a super speedy recovery.

Terrible terrible thing happened to him, And Beyond being such a big community I beleive we could make a difference here.

What I need is everybodys help with this, I need suggestions as to who to call to get this more publicised, What we could do. Get the attention of the media also to try and get more attention from everybody

Maybe have a car wash go on this weekend? Show and shine or even a BBQ.

All suggestions are very welcome.

But please keep any negative feedback out of this thread. If your only willing to help post your suggestions in here and lets help this family out and especially Jason.

Thanks Beyond

For those of you who dont know,

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/05/16/man-sask-torture-lafortune-roommate.html

Hmm I'm thinking bikini car wash ftw.:drool: But in all serious I'm down to lend a hand. Keep thread updated so we can figure out when/where.

Shlade
05-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I will let all you guys know. As far as contacting the family, I will do my very best in contacting them tomorrow and getting in touch with them to have something set up soon!

Cos
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
^^ check CTV's website (where I saw the link anyways) as most time people set up a trust at a local bank. I know we did many moons ago and people can go to that bank and make a donation.

Might be better than donating to the family.

Or if you do talk to the family ask if there may be something better we could be doing. I.E. fixing a wives car, helping fix a busted fence at his house he cant do, etc. May not always need the money. If not the greenback (purpleback for us???) speaks louder than words.

S13_Ryan
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
good on you shlade. :thumbsup:

lilmira
05-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Brutal, sounds like a story from a horror movie.

Would like to help out as well.

Shlade
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for those suggestions Cos! Those sound like great ideas also! Give me 2 days or so to fully figure this out and give everybody im thinking about giving a call and well go from there!

Keep the ideas coming their great so far! Lets try and get as many people aboard as possible

TorqueDog
05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I would donate to this.

JordanLotoski
05-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I would donate to this.

same, keep me posted

nonlinear
05-17-2010, 10:44 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/303960/ex-roommate-suspected-in-torture-case/

Rarasaurus
05-17-2010, 10:52 PM
I wonder what the other side of the story is. As stated above we hear so much bad news these days that stuff rarely gets to me. This story made me sick, I will also stay tuned.

Hakkola
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Other than curiosity I don't think the other side of the story means much, no one deserves this, that's fucked.

spikerS
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
If you decide to do a BBQ, let me know, I will gladly cook for the event and such.

ask around, my BBQ is awesome!

CUG
05-18-2010, 01:16 AM
In for the BBQ if spikers is cooking. I asked around, would donate.

theken
05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I'd be in

Chandler_Racing
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Other than curiosity I don't think the other side of the story means much, no one deserves this, that's fucked.

Pretty much my thoughts. Usually nothing bothers me and I mean nothing, but seeing his face made me actually look away.

I would be willing to make a donation if an account was setup for the family.

beyond_ban
05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I am in to donate some time or monetary help as long as i knew EXACTLY where my money was going.

Good on you for setting this up.

GREENBOY
05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
CBC said he once testified against a former Hell's Angel in a murder trial, but not sure that's why this happened. Just some background. It's totally sick what humans are capable of and nobody deserves to be tortured.

Ajay
05-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I would donate to this.

Shlade
05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I am in to donate some time or monetary help as long as i knew EXACTLY where my money was going.

Good on you for setting this up.

And you will, Im not going to ask for you to give me the money and me hand it to them haha! Theres a way to set up an account where we can fund the money to directly to them.

Ive searched a few numbers on the internet and a few LaFortune last names came back up. Hopefully somebody with good skills with the interwebs can help me locate this family and give them a call!

dannie
05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
The article says that the victim is in the Regina hospital and that the family visits on the weekends. Perhaps calling the hospital and explaining what you are attempting to do would work? They may patch you thru to his nursing station....

I did a quick facebook search and came up with a page titled: Missing: Dustin Lafortune and there is a email addy for the mom on there...

Shlade
05-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Would you be able to PM me the email adress?

dannie
05-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Yep... sent

msommers
05-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm in for donations and bbq.

LadyLuck
05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I did a facebook search of his name and there is another facebook group with over 10,000 members that's titled "In support of Dustin Lafortune" and the admins seem to be his family members as well.

If the email doesn't work, you can always contact them through facebook. The creator of the page is Shileen Lafortune.

Great thing you're doing :thumbsup:

im2fst4u
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I and my partners are in to help in any way we can.

I could have some Calgary Stampeders attend as well as some Flames players to give it some media attention.

psycoticclown
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm in for helping/donating!

BBQ and Show and Shine with proceeds to family.

nonlinear
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM
i would definitely be down for a charity bbq. another REALLY GREAT way to raise money is to have local businesses donate goods and/or services, and then sell raffle tickets and raffle the prizes off. i'm willing to bet that many of the beyond sponsors would offer donations.

Shlade
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
These ideas are amazing guys!

heres what I wrote. I will also look on the facebook page and see who else I can contact.

Hello Renee,

I have a suggestion Id like to run by you and see what you would think of it.

I am part of a very large Alberta based Car forum called Beyond.ca. After the sad news about dustin was posted from CBC in Law and society thread section, Many people on the forum were very shocked with that had happened to Dustin and felt terrible.

I decided I would ask my fellow members on the forum as to what they thought about having a fundraiser event for Dustin in order to help ease the family a little more, and help him back to a speedier recovery. They all thought it would be a great idea and are all aboard to help out!

We would really love to help your family out threw this tough time you are going threw right now! Please email me back and let me know if you would be ok with this as we would love to make some sort of event in order to help Dustin get better!

In order to do this we would need your approval first for this and your participation in opening a bank account where we could put all the donations in.

We have Ideas rolling in left right and centre as to what could be done for the event but we are still in the mits of deciding what it will be yet!

Again please get back to me and let me know what you think. We would really love to help out.

Sincerely

Vladimir and the entire Beyond.ca crew.

Scope951
05-18-2010, 03:50 PM
count me in as well, best of luck!

Shlade
05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Good news, Ive gotten in contact with one of the family members.

He has informed me that he loves the idea and is very thankful for it, However their family decides collectivly! I told him take as much time as he needs to talk with his family and get back to me!

We will be staying in touch so I will update soon! Thanks a lot guys! I really hope we can make this family a lot happier!

Weapon_R
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Good on you for doing this!

spikerS
05-20-2010, 09:32 AM
any updates?

we could probably do this @ bowness park. tape off a small section of parking for a show and shine, and BBQ beside it...

Shlade
05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Bowness sounds really good! I'm going to see if I can contact them again and see what they say. No reply yet but I suppose you gotta be patient for something like this! Ill see what the family says after I get in contact with them again tomorrow

beyond_ban
05-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by spikers
any updates?

we could probably do this @ bowness park. tape off a small section of parking for a show and shine, and BBQ beside it...

The speed bumps there KILL me every time i try to get into the park... Not sure a show n' shine in Bow park is a great idea.

Neil4Speed
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Awesome Idea, and great support from our forum. I don't mean to be discouraging, but just something I pulled from a facebook page for him, from his brother, yesterday.

"O.K..... We the LaFortune Family are NOT raising money or accepting donations at this time. The time will come to set up a trust fund for Dustin to pay for his recovery and new life. I as am now branded as a rougue "Internet Pirate" Circumventing the regular media and doing an "end around" of the police, YOU will be the first to know!"

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115158128523890&topic=77#topic_top

Something to keep in mind just in case you were planning something immediately!

Best of luck with the fundraiser. :)

derran.m
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm game for a charity BBQ & Show N Shine ... count me in!

Shlade
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for posting that Neil!

well figure this out and im sure we got some time to get things going, As of now i think BBQ and show and shine sound awesome!

Boat
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
edit: Made my comments at work. Did not read or see everything. I'm glad the guy is finally safe. :(