PDA

View Full Version : Best ITALIAN food in town??

shortyshorty
05-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I've been in the mood for some italian food lately, and the bottled classico isn't gonna cut it this time.

Someone told me about a good but pricey place. It rhymes with Mikasa from what I remember, but I don't think thats the name...

Some place with good ravioli, and some of that half cooked doughy bread you eat with olive oil would be awesome. Veal would be awesome too....I'm hungry already damn. Anyways I'm not super picky, I just don't know where to start and if I do this on my own I'll end up at Olive Garden. Which I have nothing against, I just wanna try something new.

wintonyk
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Pasquale's on MacLeod

ZorroAMG
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Da Paolo's, Da Guido's, Buon Giorno's, Da Searcho Beyondo's.

tobypaddock
05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
+1 for Da Guidos on centre street by 16th avenue

dj_rice
05-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

I see what you did there

shortyshorty
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

ahah, I was lazy. Don't ban me or I won't be able to ask my next question:

Any favourite dishes at the mentioned spots??

nonlinear
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
^^i would say Rea's or Il Centro before any of the above recommendations.

what area of the city are you in? are you looking for a fine dining or more casual experience?

DJ_NAV
05-18-2010, 10:21 PM
How is Il Gallo Nero(sp?) on 17the ave? Im not a huge fan of Italian food(too bland at most times), but wanted to know if this place is one of the better ones.

shortyshorty
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm usually around northwest, northeast, and downtown.

I don't mind a formalish place. But I'm not looking for a bruschetta that costs the same price as an iPod ;) I'm thinking $50-$60 a person without booze, tops, because I wanna check out more than 1 of these places you know...

Anyways it got too late today and I ended up eating pho and salad rolls lol. (pho xuan across from marlborough mall hits the spot by the way).

So I looked around beyond and asked some people and this is what I'm considering:

1) La Dolce Vita

2) Da Guido's

3) Buon Giorno's

4) Mercato

5) Capo Restaurant

5) Fiores

6) La Luna Rossa

7) Sazio

8) Gnocci's

I plan on trying these out in that sequence unless someone has a better idea. I'll probably only manage to get to five of em.

What I really wanna know is what to order at these places so I don't really have to look at the menu much. The only thing I don't eat is pork.

Swank
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
La Brezza and Villa Firenze, both in Bridgeland.

atgilchrist
05-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Add Bonterra to the list.

rook
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
My favourite is "Why Not Italian" in Strathcona Square. The waiters are older Italian men in suits and aprons (great ambience), and the Gnocci is fantastic. A bit pricey ... $15-$25 an entree ... but worth it.

Buon Giorno is my close 2nd fave.

e31
05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Personal favorite at Da Searcho Beyondo's is their "Faccia Palma Speciale". I dare you to ask...

Marsh
05-19-2010, 12:19 PM
La Viena in kensington is really good

dannie
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
A few comments on your list:

Capo.... while it is downright amazing food, you will spend around $100 per person. It is formal, but awesome.

Mercato: I go here once a week. You cannot go wrong with it. Get the Bisteca and a couple sides and ask for a seat at the front counter.

Buin Giorgno: Seems to have become a little mundane lately. The food doesnt seem to have the same taste that it used to.

Fiores: Good for cheap italian food

Luna Rossa: I haven't been impressed by the food here the last 2 times. The service was lacking and the food was bland.

I would suggest you add La Vita e Bella to the list and then walk over to Zia Enoteca for wine and dessert.

Abruzzo was another decent italian restaurant. Quite cozy and classic cooking.

Teatros would be another suggestion, but again it will be pricey.

I will also second Il Centro

l/l/rX
05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Im surprised there was only one mention of mercatos. I love this place!

sexualbanana
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I've never been, but I've heard good things about Il Sogno, pretty pricey was also among the things I heard. Anyone?

dannie
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Il Sogno is good. The guy who owns Capo was their head chef for years. I would still take Mercato or Capo over Il Sogno, but thats just me.

im2fst4u
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
La Dolce Vita!

Franco is an amazing chef.
Do not even look at the menu, let him choose the entire dinner and you wont leave disappointed.

princeaidin
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Buon Giornos all the way, unpretentious fantastic food, and great ambience. Have gone there for many years and will continue going there.

Plus they have this thing where you pick 3 pastas and you share it between two people and its awesssssssome.

asp integra
05-27-2010, 07:23 PM
ya that place is great! one of my fav italian places in town

Originally posted by rook
My favourite is "Why Not Italian" in Strathcona Square. The waiters are older Italian men in suits and aprons (great ambience), and the Gnocci is fantastic. A bit pricey ... $15-$25 an entree ... but worth it.

Buon Giorno is my close 2nd fave.

D'z Nutz
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Rea's (formally Sandro's)

mucat
06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
When to Gnocchi and there was a staple in one of the paste dish. To make the matter worse, the server was joking and half serious and did nothing. One of the worst experience I have had.

4bier
06-03-2010, 03:24 AM
i ve always liked il chiantis next door to the italian supermarket,
very good authentic food

ronaldo
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
La Dolce Vita!

Franco is an amazing chef.
Do not even look at the menu, let him choose the entire dinner and you wont leave disappointed.

I did this last time I was there and we were amazed at how good it was.

My other favorite is La Brezza, best calamari in town

89coupe
06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Some of the restaurants in this thread shouldn't even be mentioned...LOL

My vote would be for Il Sogno

http://www.ilsogno.org/

Vagabond142
06-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Da Guido's, hands down.

Small, intimate atmosphere, gently lit, all the waiters are professional and a lot of them are Italian, and the price isn't altogether too bad. It's the food that keeps me going back. It's utterly amazing, I've had both a veal parmesan and a seafood linguini (I forget the italian names for those dishes) in recent visits, and they're both just knock your socks off brilliant.