PDA

View Full Version : Unregistring a car without a buyer?

layz123
05-19-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm in a stupid situation. If anyone can help me with some good advice it'll be thankful.

My boyfriend bought a car couple months back. For various reasons, he put it under my name as the owner of the car. So when we registered and insured it it was all under my name.

Anyways we're NOT together anymore, so I wanted to get my name off the car. But he is being an ass, not picking up his phone or replying to any of my messages.

I got a speeding ticket not too long after, which pissed me off. I called and canceled the insurance on it. I told him about it and he says he doesn't drive it anymore but have it parked somewhere. But the thing is, I don't even know where it is because he moved out when we broke up and I have no idea where he lives anymore.

I don't even want to see that him ever again I just want to get my name off the car... Is there anyway?

I don't have any of the legal papers such as insurance, registration, original bill of sale... he has it...

I know what I did was very stupid, so please don't bash.

97'Scort
05-19-2010, 02:44 AM
The car is legally yours if everything is in your name. It wouldn't take much to find out where he is, Beyond CSI is pretty good at that.

The problem comes when you attempt to tow it. A tow truck driver isn't going to take it if you don't have they key or the papers to show it's yours, or a court document saying you can take it.

I'm sure somebody who knows more than I do will have a way of removing your name, short of taking it to small claims to get a claim on the vehicle.

barmanjay
05-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Go to registries and get new papers for it,.. then sell it to me for $1 :)

tom_9109
05-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Definitely find it and take it.

dannie
05-19-2010, 09:09 AM
You can't take a vehicle out of your name. Your name will always be attached to that vehicle in some form. The only thing you could do would be to cancel the plates (which wouldnt do much), tell him that you are going to report it as stolen (and see what he does), find the car and take it back or just leave it.

spike98
05-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Go down to the registries and get new papers. Then report it stolen.

If anything happens with the vehicle (crime, accidents, tickets, ect) you can be on the hook. By claiming it stolen, there is a police report to absolve yourself from any liablity after the date the report was made.

Before doing this, contact him and explain your plans. Give him the option of taking ownership (in the form of a bill of sale) or risking being charged with possesion of stolen property. Im sure he will agree to this and sign a bill of sale.

ercchry
05-19-2010, 09:19 AM
just report it as stole, give the police all his info... sit back and laugh :D

rage2
05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
If it's under your name, it's your car. Why don't you just sell it and make some money?

Also, newly single... pics? (and no, not of the car)

911fever
05-19-2010, 09:24 AM
its yours. find it.